Princess cuts

bobbetty

It now costs Princess (and the other cruise lines as well) an additional US$40 per passenger per day for fuel (above what it cost them last year at this time).

If you asked nicely, they could give you back the the bingo game and shuffleboard, then charge you for the extra $400 in fuel.

How long has Bingo been the same cost? I've never played Bingo on a cruise but perhaps if it's been the same cost for years, instead of raising the cost, they lowered the number of games. Just speculating here.

As for shuffleboard, the only time I've seen people playing shuffleboard on a cruise was... gee, I can't remember. Maybe Princess thought the space could be better utilized?

Not trying to make excuses here for Princess but since I do neither of these, I'm not getting too excited about it.

It now costs Princess (and the other cruise lines as well) an additional US$40 per passenger per day for fuel (above what it cost them last year at this time).

If you asked nicely, they could give you back the the bingo game and shuffleboard, then charge you for the extra $400 in fuel.

$40 per passenger PER DAY? Maybe $5, but $40? Call me a skeptic but I find that hard to believe.

Last year at this time the price for bunker fuel was just under US$300 per ton. Most large cruise ships burn between 1,000 and 1,200 tons every 7 days.

The price for the same fuel passed $500 per ton in November and is over $600 per ton already in many parts of the world.

For a 3,000 passenger ship, burning around 1,000 tons in 7 days, the math puts fuel cost at an additional US$33 or $34 per passenger per day over last year.

If you take a 10 day cruise this year, it now costs the cruise line an additional $330 - $340 per passenger just for the fuel required for the voyage.

My apologies. I originally thought it was an additional $40 per day.

I don't feel to sorry for any of the cruise lines. My company, like most others is hit by higher fuel cost. Somehow we still manage to make a profit. The last time I checked Carnival had not changed their corporate charter to that of non profit so I am sure they are still able to squeeze out a dime or two despite the higher fuel cost. When cost are down I don't see them offering a fuel charge rebate. Bottom line is they will continue to cut cost and raise prices as long as people continue to book to capacity. When they are not full they cut their cost it is simple supply and demand. Fuel cost is only one small component and to act as if the poor cruise lines are suffering is in my opinion ridiculous.

I don't feel to sorry for any of the cruise lines. My company, like most others is hit by higher fuel cost. Somehow we still manage to make a profit. The last time I checked Carnival had not changed their corporate charter to that of non profit so I am sure they are still able to squeeze out a dime or two despite the higher fuel cost. When cost are down I don't see them offering a fuel charge rebate. Bottom line is they will continue to cut cost and raise prices as long as people continue to book to capacity. When they are not full they cut their cost it is simple supply and demand. Fuel cost is only one small component and to act as if the poor cruise lines are suffering is in my opinion ridiculous.
of course they are making a profit or let's hope they are. If they are not, they will soon be out of business and we won't be able to enjoy what many of us love the most. This doesn't mean they do not have to find ways to offset the fuel cost. This doesn't just affect actually transport of the vessel but what they pay for everything. I am sure they would like to continue to make a profit just like any other company. Last time I checked it was called Capitolism or the free market.

Nita

Last year at this time the price for bunker fuel was just under US$300 per ton. Most large cruise ships burn between 1,000 and 1,200 tons every 7 days.

The price for the same fuel passed $500 per ton in November and is over $600 per ton already in many parts of the world.

For a 3,000 passenger ship, burning around 1,000 tons in 7 days, the math puts fuel cost at an additional US$33 or $34 per passenger per day over last year.

If you take a 10 day cruise this year, it now costs the cruise line an additional $330 - $340 per passenger just for the fuel required for the voyage.

My apologies. I originally thought it was an additional $40 per day.

There must be something wrong with your numbers or your math. If the price has gone up by $200 per ton ($500-$300), then the incremental cost for 7 days is about $200,000 ($200/ton times 1000 tons). For 3000 passengers, that equates to about $67 for the full 7 days. If all my math is correct, that works out to about $9.50/passenger/day.

Great, just what we all needed, another thread full of complaints.

Wow! It deals with Fuel Surcharge. That's a new topic. Anybody want to get started on Dress Code? :D

Great, just what we all needed, another thread full of complaining about complaints!

Wow! It deals with Fuel Surcharge. It's not a new topic. So what?

Now, now Nina, take it easy. I am not saying Princess does not deserve to make a profit. On the contrary I think they are entitled to make as much money as the market sees fit. I also assure you they will do just that. I love Princess it is my favorite line but I don't feel I have to feel sorry for them, if their profit margin is cut a little. They will certainly find ways to make it up without feeling sorry for the passengers. And yes it is called Capitalism and guess what, it is driven by Supply and Demand. People are still cursing and the ships are still full, I am one of them so the cuts have not stopped me. I would think they will keep cutting until people stop booking and I can't say I blame them. It has nothing to do with the increase in fuel charges.

Now, now Nina, take it easy. I am not saying Princess does not deserve to make a profit. On the contrary I think they are entitled to make as much money as the market sees fit. I also assure you they will do just that. I love Princess it is my favorite line but I don't feel I have to feel sorry for them, if their profit margin is cut a little. They will certainly find ways to make it up without feeling sorry for the passengers. And yes it is called Capitalism and guess what, it is driven by Supply and Demand. People are still cursing and the ships are still full, I am one of them so the cuts have not stopped me. I would think they will keep cutting until people stop booking and I can't say I blame them. It has nothing to do with the increase in fuel charges.
Well, maybe, in order to maintain their profit margin, Carnival should just raise the price of every cruise. That way, soda cards won't increase in price, bingo will have 5 cards and we won't have to worry about them cost-cutting or taking advantage of us poor passengers.

oh, I don't feel sorry for them either, but I do understand many of the cut backs and yes, I still enjoy the thrill of cruising. I miss some of the old tradtions but love some of the newer ones.

Nita

There must be something wrong with your numbers or your math. If the price has gone up by $200 per ton ($500-$300), then the incremental cost for 7 days is about $200,000 ($200/ton times 1000 tons). For 3000 passengers, that equates to about $67 for the full 7 days. If all my math is correct, that works out to about $9.50/passenger/day.

Thanks. While I am amazed and appreciative of the research that went in to compiling the figures, and end result looked a little off. Still, significant, and it kind of puts the fuel surcharge in perspective (but it was still rotten for the cruise lines not to limit it to new bookings only).

a) one's decision making process when deciding to spend discretionary funds on a cruise boils down to just one word--choice.

b) The problems of operating a publicly held business in today's ever-changing economic environment is very difficult and the bottom line must equal profit.

It is quite easy to address point (a), if one believes that the Princess product does not meet the criteria of value for expending discretionary funds then one does not buy the product.

Addressing (b) is difficult. Princess, a wholly owned portion of the Carnival Corporation is a segment of a publicly owned company traded on the stock exchange and its management is held to operate the corporation in an efficient manner and to produce a profit for the stockholders.

Currently, the Carnival Corporation stock is trading near its 52 week low--ergo--the public does not believe the future profit picture is very rosy.

Each new ship brought on line now costs about $750,000,000 that is 3/4 of a billion dollars (with a B) and that is a cost that has to be amortized over a given period.

The fixed costs of running each ship include all of the insurance, advertising, payment to all the ancillary personnel in the headquarters and in shore support, transportation of goods and services, dockage, taxes, ships agents, entertainers, and annual ship registration fees, et. al.

Added to this is the cost of fuel, food, salaries to the officers and crew, maintenance, dry dock, refurbishing and all of the incidentals.

As a frequent (Platinum) user of the product, I am continuously amazed that Princess can deliver the product that it does and the per diem cost that it does.

At the low end, one can be furnished room, all meals, and entertainment for around $100 per day per person. For more spacious quarters, the cost ranges $200 per person and upwards.

When compared with other discretionary outlay of funds, it still appears to be a bargain.

I would expect we might see further cut backs as the general economy worsens. Perhaps one might only get 3 Bingo cards in the future.

However, cruising on Princess is a bargain only if you believe it is. If you do not believe it is a good choice, you should not spend your money for the product.

while we were on another cruise line the captain was asked abut the shps fuel economy---he replied basically we get 17 inches per gallon

Paul

I wonder if that's with the winds or against?:D

Like many folks, I was frustrated that I got hit with a fuel surcharge after paying for my cruise months ago, but I still consider cruising a good bargain for the money. A 7 night cruise compared to a 7 night condo stay, paying for meals, entertainment, etc.. is still a good value. For now....

Mike

Hi

Bingo cut from 5 games per session to 4 games,same cost.

Shuffle board area eliminated on Emerald Princess.

I do think that it is kind of interesting that they would make changes in these 2 areas.

It's not like they weren't making enough money on Bingo. I have to believe that this would change the amount of money bet on Bingo that Princess retains from about 50% to 60%. It's not like they were paying out to much money on the Bingo before.

As far as shuffleboard, it doesn't cost a lot to include shuffleboard on a ship. Wonder what they replaced it with? And where are all the traditionalists that bemoan the fact that cruises are not what they used to be? How can anyone have a traditional cruise experience without shuffleboard?

Do a search for Fuel Surcharge and see how many hits you get.

If it is irritating to you, then your choice is to bypass the post you disagree with, or to respond in a cordial manner. To be rude and/or sarcastic about others' comments simply because you don't like reading the post, or believe that there are too many of one type of post, means you believe you have a more valid opinion than any one else that is posting. This defeats the purpose of any board.

That being said, I do agree that cruising still represents a great value, with or without fuel surcharges and one less bingo game.

Archived