United Airlines

stoneharborlady

Whoever said that the public voted a resounding no for better service instead of cheap flights hit it on the head. In many ways this makes sense. What level of service do I need on a 2 or 3 hour flight. I need a seat, I need my baggage to get there when I do and to be able to claim it in a timely manner, I need a safe flight, I would like to be somewhere close to ontime. I don't need glass of juice or water, and I really don't need the drink trolley in the aisle. Would it be nice to have better, more refined service? Sure it would. If I want that I will go First/Business class, and I do if the flight is more than 4 hours or so. Is that service what it used to be, or what the foreign carriers offer, no it isn't, but the public doesn't want it any better, if it means paying a higher price.

Yu know, when your think about it, a lot of this goes back to when the airlines were deregulated. Before that, prices were controlled and all they really had to sell was service. I tend to be against government control of industry, but this is a busines that cries to be regulated.

As far as the charge for a second bag, I guess that since it is there airline, they can do what they want. It is really not a fairness issue.

My 2 cents.

Do I feel sorry for the workers, Sure I do. The problem is they have 2 choices quit or put up with the bull. The problem as I see it is not with the cost of the fuel or the weight of a few pieces of luggage (a typical 737-800 holds 180 passenger X 25% - extra bags) = 45 extra 50 lb bags or 2250 lbs extra per run) but is with the exec bonus given out by screwing the little people, employee and passenger. Here is a sample of what can be found on the web today.

"Northwest, which was granted court approval last week to exit bankruptcy protection, announced recently that its chief executive, Douglas Steenland, received stock and options worth more than US$20 million that will vest over four years. Meanwhile, Douglas Parker, chief executive of US Airways, was given cash bonuses and stock grants worth about US$4.8 million last year, according to SEC filings."

This kind of greed, is, what is killing and will be the downfall of any company fighting in a very tight economy.

Dave

You are right on, the greed of a few is what is killing business in the US and not just the airline industry. I feel sorry as I said for the employees on the ground but not management. While top managers collect their bonuses and stock grants they are crying they can't make it. We have seen this time and again over the past decade for sure.

Whoever said that the public voted a resounding no for better service instead of cheap flights hit it on the head. In many ways this makes sense. What level of service do I need on a 2 or 3 hour flight. I need a seat, I need my baggage to get there when I do and to be able to claim it in a timely manner, I need a safe flight, I would like to be somewhere close to ontime. I don't need glass of juice or water, and I really don't need the drink trolley in the aisle.
Other than your observation that it makes sense, I would agree with you. Those who think that this makes sense, and therefore vote for lower fares and less service, are indeed the ones that have driven down the level of service on US airlines to the level that they have reached.

However, count me out of that crowd. When my two-hour flight leaves at 7.30 pm, I have by then not eaten for twelve hours, worked hard all day, battled the peak-hour crowds to rush to get to the airport on time, and it will be 11 pm local time by the time I reach my hotel after the flight - then actually, yes please, I would quite like something to eat and drink during those two hours of downtime.

Other than your observation that it makes sense, I would agree with you. Those who think that this makes sense, and therefore vote for lower fares and less service, are indeed the ones that have driven down the level of service on US airlines to the level that they have reached.

However, count me out of that crowd. When my two-hour flight leaves at 7.30 pm, I have by then not eaten for twelve hours, worked hard all day, battled the peak-hour crowds to rush to get to the airport on time, and it will be 11 pm local time by the time I reach my hotel after the flight - then actually, yes please, I would quite like something to eat and drink during those two hours of downtime.

Please don't think because I said that in many ways it makes sense, that I like it. I do not, and if it was up to me the airlines would charge what they should to make a profit. If they would return to the service and comfort level of many years ago, I would gladly pay. I guess in a way, I voted along with the rest in favor of reduced fares and reduced service, but only because there was little choice. If you have to get somewhere in the US the airlines are really your only choice. The vast intercity passenger rail system that we once had is gone, and Amtrak is merely a ghost of that system. Forget the bus. It is fly or stay home. Unfortunately, once you get used to it, you learn just how little service you can get by with.

As I said I usually fly First/Business Class on flights longer than 4 hours. Somehow though, I just can't see paying 1000 dollars for First Class on American from Orlando to Chicago, 2 hours and 15 minutes, when I can cram myself into Soutwest or Airtran for 80 bucks. American doesn't even go to the most convenient airport in Chicago. I actually tried to go First Class using United miles a year or so ago, and they could not provide a flight that had First Class available. I suspect that United's Ted is the wave of the future, soon there will be very limited First or Business Class.

I do agree that a cocktail and a meal, even the nondescript airline stuff, at least passed the time and put something in your stomach. The way things are today though, I usually have plenty of time at the airport for a meal before the flight. I do miss the old, not that old really, days. Hell, if it was up to me we would still be expected to dress up.

What do you mean next? They should be doing that now!!!! If your butt won't fit between the armrests without flowing into the other seats then you should be chaged for two seats. i don't like paying to have an overweight person sitting in my seat and theirs at the SAME time.

Why is that person always in the middle seat?? LOL

WE have a chief executive of United Airlines in our immediate local who openly laughs at anyone who complains about prices and service. Meanwhile he brags about his compensation, bonuses, 20 million dollar yacht that he keeps in Caba San Lucas to avoid US taxes, luxury everthing. Its all about corporate greed and the excess of the few top managers of the company.

We travel by foreign based airlines to avoid these creep greedy US thugs.

WE have a chief executive of United Airlines in our immediate local who openly laughs at anyone who complains about prices and service. Meanwhile he brags about his compensation, bonuses, 20 million dollar yacht that he keeps in Caba San Lucas to avoid US taxes, luxury everthing. Its all about corporate greed and the excess of the few top managers of the company.

We travel by foreign based airlines to avoid these creep greedy US thugs.

A chief executive or The Chief Executive? Only one per company. Give us the name. The CEO of United is Glenn Tiltan. I am sure the employee's of United would love to hear about the 20 million dollar yacht.:cool:

I am not that fond of UA. So, I avoid using them. It is that simple.

I think that executive compensation is the business of the company shareholders. I could not care less what they pay their executives or for that matter what any other airlines pays its execs. I only care about price, convenience, safety, and getting my bag back on the odd ocasion when I actually check one.

Let's say that you hired in at an airline at age 22 back in 1990...fairly good years for the airlines. So you have been with a company for 18 years. You are 40 years old. Do you know what the job market is like for a 40 year old? Especially one who has to retrain themselves into a different industry? It's easy to say 'just quit'...but the job market these days don't have jobs for 40 year olds that will allow them to support a family.

Sounds like what someone who retires from the military is faced with.

I guess in a way, I voted along with the rest in favor of reduced fares and reduced service, but only because there was little choice. If you have to get somewhere in the US the airlines are really your only choice.
You make it sound like an election in a dictatorship!

But there is no doubt why US airlines are so keen to keep out competition from non-US airlines.

Archived