United Airlines

stoneharborlady

It will not surprise me in the least if all of the rest of the airlines follow United's lead.

If they raise prices too high, they won't be able to sell their flights, so this way they can add additional cargo if baggage limits are cut in half. An added $25 for the second bag I think is taking the place of a fuel charge.................sneaky little buggers aren't they? lol

Stay tuned, I expect in the next few weeks there will be a rash of these reports about most, if not all, airlines. :(

Overpackers are the ones that are really going to suffer as I remember the complaints when they lowered the weight per bag not all that long ago.

The problem used to be that my DH and I would always pack one bag per the two of us, but because we frequently went overweight (and now they are strictly charging for it), we now take one bag each, and usually a garment bag for formal wear. Oh well - good thing we don't fly United! We'll see if JetBlue starts doing it!

From their Web-site, we never exceed 1 bag checked per-person anyway.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

United is announcing a new checked bag policy for customers who purchase nonrefundable domestic economy tickets. Customers purchasing nonrefundable domestic economy tickets who do not have status in Mileage Plus or Star Alliance may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $25 service fee. Customers who have attained Premier status or higher in Mileage Plus or who have Silver status and above with a Star Alliance partner, are exempt from this policy change. The new policy applies to tickets purchased on or after February 4, 2008 for travel on or after May 5, 2008. Please view the Domestic baggage questions for additional details on this policy.

All customers traveling on United may check at least one free bag. The number of free bags allowed per customer will vary according to your Mileage Plus status and/or the type of ticket purchased. The tables below highlight the number of bags that customers can check free of charge:

I think we knew that this was coming, but the frequent flier thing kind of throws me. Wouldn't everyone just join the frequent flier club (assuming that there is anyone out there who isn't already a member of Mileage Plus)?

It doesn't work just being a mileage plus member, you need to have a higher status. From the United Website:

Customers purchasing nonrefundable domestic economy tickets who do not have status in Mileage Plus or Star Alliance may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $25 service fee. Customers who have attained Premier status or higher in Mileage Plus or who have Silver status and above with a Star Alliance partner, are exempt from this policy change.

This stinks. They announced a few weeks ago that they were going to start to roll back the fuel increases since the price of oil had gone down. Did that ever happen or is that going to happen tomorrow, after their new baggage rule kicks in? - SF

Customers who have attained Premier status or higher in Mileage Plus or who have Silver status and above with a Star Alliance partner, are exempt from this policy change.

Aaahhhhh...that makes quite a difference. Unfortunately, using their credit card for all the spending in the world won't get you that one if you aren't a relatively frequent flier.

This stinks. They announced a few weeks ago that they were going to start to roll back the fuel increases since the price of oil had gone down. Did that ever happen or is that going to happen tomorrow, after their new baggage rule kicks in? - SF

As far as I know, they rolled it back partially but did not do away with it completely.

The problem with this is that those booking Princess flights that are put on United after these dates will have a one checked bag limitation, and they will have to pay the extra for a second bag when they arrive at the airport if they want to check two. Since once the flights are booked, Princess sticks to the actual airfare price, they are still providing flights, but with only one checked bag for each passenger. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............I can already see formal nights suffering from this one.

So, for those that do not pay the deviation fee and choose the airline they prefer to fly on, this could be a little bit of a costly (although small cost) problem.

But as said, don't be surprised if this decision by United isn't followed by the rest of the major carriers in a very short time.

Our fear is that all the other airlines will follow suit. As for checking one bag, we could do that, but those of us who travel with golf clubs, it IS an issue. What I see is everyone packed down like mules getting on the airplane. It has been nice lately that people don't hog all the overhead bins like they used to. That is about to drastically change!!!!

Our fear is that all the other airlines will follow suit. As for checking one bag, we could do that, but those of us who travel with golf clubs, it IS an issue. What I see is everyone packed down like mules getting on the airplane. It has been nice lately that people don't hog all the overhead bins like they used to. That is about to drastically change!!!!
That's what I was thinking..all the stuff that went into the second bag will now be squashed into the (overlarge) carry-ons. Gotta go talk to that United safety officer we know.....

This is only on domestic flights. International flights will still get 2 bags for free. So, if you want to fly domestic, fly to Mexico and back into the USof A.

"New fees apply to trips within the U.S. and or those that include Canada, San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. Customers whose itineraries include other international flights still will be able to check the second bag for free. The cost to check more than two bags, or items that are overweight or require special handling, on such trips will vary by destination."

"

They are simply passing the high oil prices along to the consumer, like the cruise lines are doing. You must realize that aviation fuel is running almost $110 per barrel these days.

It's not the end of the world, cough up the $25 or cram everything, your choice, because if United gets away with it, everyone will be doing it soon...

They are simply passing the high oil prices along to the consumer, like the cruise lines are doing. You must realize that aviation fuel is running almost $110 per barrel these days.

It's not the end of the world, cough up the $25 or cram everything, your choice, because if United gets away with it, everyone will be doing it soon...

Not sure if you read this paragraph on the United website, but it also says the following, which could be a bit of a problem flying to port city to board a ship and trying to take on that extra $25 peace of luggage.

During the peak winter, spring and summer months, and during holiday periods, customers will be asked to voluntarily designate a secondary bag that may be placed on a later flight. We will only be able to guarantee a primary bag at times when capacity exceeds space limitations.

Southwest just announced a change. They are a little more generous, though! They used to allow three checked bags, I believe.

<LI class=listDoubleSpace>Baggage Allowance: Beginning January 29, 2008, Southwest will allow two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply.

<LI class=listDoubleSpace>Excess Baggage: Effective January 29, 2008, you may check a third bag for a charge of $25. Your 4th through 9th bag or item will incur a charge of $50 per piece, and any bag or item thereafter will be $110 per piece.

<LI class=listDoubleSpace>Weight and Size Allowance: Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage.

There is even more bad news here. After the second bag the charge goes to $100 per bag.

United claims that the rising cost of fuel has necessitated these fees. Here is what the real number is. Eighteen months ago jet fuel was going for $40 per barrel. Today that price has escalated to $107 per barrel.

Currently only US Air admits to considering a similar charge and will be watching passenger reactions on United very closely.

I would suggest that we as individuals email or write the various airline CEO's expressing our opposition to these charges. If these charges become widespread it obviously will impact the cruise industry.

There is even more bad news here. After the second bag the charge goes to $100 per bag.

United claims that the rising cost of fuel has necessitated these fees. Here is what the real number is. Eighteen months ago jet fuel was going for $40 per barrel. Today that price has escalated to $107 per barrel.

Currently only US Air admits to considering a similar charge and will be watching passenger reactions on United very closely.

I would suggest that we as individuals email or write the various airline CEO's expressing our opposition to these charges. If these charges become widespread it obviously will impact the cruise industry.

That is why I NEVER fly United. ;)

Archived