United Airlines

stoneharborlady

See, I have no problem packing it all in one suitcase, but it's not under 50#. lol..... Now if they are only going to allow 1 piece of luggage, they should life the weight limit....... :D

Ditto - if I use my 29" suitcase, I can fit everything into it but it is probably 55 lbs plus.

See, I have no problem packing it all in one suitcase, but it's not under 50#. lol..... Now if they are only going to allow 1 piece of luggage, they should life the weight limit....... :D

Ditto - if I use my 29" suitcase, I can fit everything into it but it is probably 55 lbs plus.

Not that I agree with United's new policy, but it's not that hard to pack light. For our 12-day Med cruise I took one suitcase, and that also included a 3-day post-cruise stay in Rome. One standard-size suitcase. And yes, I packed for 2 formal nights!

On a business trip this fall, I packed for a week's worth of meetings plus an additional 3 days of sightseeing in one carryon bag. This included 2 business jackets and a dinner dress, among other things.

Frankly, I decided a few years ago I was tired of schlepping so much stuff on trips and wasting time packing and unpacking. If you put a little thought into it, you can pack enough in one suitcase to travel almost indefinitely (of course, doing laundry occasionally....)

Here's a relevant thread just posted today on packing light:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=707582

I saw the thread, looked at the website for suggestions.. It was all good until they mention leaving your hair dryer at home....lol....Have to have that and my curling iron..... Trust me, you wouldn't want to see me out/about without them....lol..... My hair is just such that I can't be without them.... :o

I'm a mileage plus member but not of high status so this would effect me after this upcoming cruise since I already redeemed miles. If United still has this policy after I redeem my last set of miles, I will use another airline as it was already difficult with the 50 pound 2 bag limit but to pack for a cruise is very difficult with a 1 50 pound bag and allows no room for purchases to bring back home. I'm glad Princess has those self-service laundries because I'm sure more of us will be having to use them.

My problem with this is the extra time it will take for passengers to pay for each extra bag. Already there are delays with overweight bags, I seem to always be behind someone who needs to rearrange stuff between two suitcases to be below the weight limit. Unless you can manage with a carry-on, everyone is going to be affected by this new policy in some way.

I do not let the airlines check my bags. I pack light and carry on and use the onboard laundry facilities. I roll up my dark suit for packing and hang it up immediately after boarding or get onboard pressing.

Works for me. :)

Sorry, don't know if you or male or female, but I cannot figure out how to pack as a carry-on all the liquids that the TSA claims we can only carry 3 ounces of. I've got make-up, meds, hairspray, Lysol and not all of those could get thru security.

I went to new zealand for two weeks with carry on only--our group of 6 checked one duffel that contained our sleeping bags and my ski boots.

I went to europe for 1 month with one backpack--and I had to carry formal wear and camping gear.

we can all learn to pack a bit lighter or just pay. it is really not very much in the long run. the number of people on any one flight who are going on a cruise is so tiny....why would the airline care?

Sorry, don't know if you or male or female, but I cannot figure out how to pack as a carry-on all the liquids that the TSA claims we can only carry 3 ounces of. I've got make-up, meds, hairspray, Lysol and not all of those could get thru security.

Male. I know you have more stuff than we men do, but DW did OK last week with her quart size bag of make-up, meds and sample size personal items, etc. (no Lysol, no hairspray).

Carrying on may not be workable for everyone.

I wouldn't mind this so much if I was sure that i could redeem my receipt for my suitcase .. but on United you never know exactly where they will send you suitcase do you ?? I quit flying them years ago.

This spring United will charge $25.00 for each passenger who checks a second bag, unless you are part of a frequent flier program. I knew this was coming. Karen

Great.... gives me another reason to not fly United. ;)

United gives you the best chance of getting snowed in when flying during the winter time. They also have the least leg room I have experienced and being tall that is a big deal.

It will not surprise me in the least if all of the rest of the airlines follow United's lead.

If they raise prices too high, they won't be able to sell their flights, so this way they can add additional cargo if baggage limits are cut in half. An added $25 for the second bag I think is taking the place of a fuel charge.................sneaky little buggers aren't they? lol

Stay tuned, I expect in the next few weeks there will be a rash of these reports about most, if not all, airlines. :(

Overpackers are the ones that are really going to suffer as I remember the complaints when they lowered the weight per bag not all that long ago.

they probably did math on cost of extra bag lol:))

Not sure if you read this paragraph on the United website, but it also says the following, which could be a bit of a problem flying to port city to board a ship and trying to take on that extra $25 peace of luggage.

During the peak winter, spring and summer months, and during holiday periods, customers will be asked to voluntarily designate a secondary bag that may be placed on a later flight. We will only be able to guarantee a primary bag at times when capacity exceeds space limitations.

It is a bigger problem than you indicated:

a) TSA rules say you fly with the luggage or the luggage does not fly (I do not know how airlines get around that with delayed luggage).

b) This is called a "voluntary separation" which means the airline is obligated to get to to the airport, but not to where you are going. If, for example, you fly home and live 60 miles from the airport, it will be your responsibility to go back to the airport and retrieve the luggage. Or if you are flying to SFO, renting a car and driving to Los Angeles, the airline only has to get it to SFO, not to you.

Last week, we switched to an earlier flight at the boarding gate after the bags were checked on the original flight. We were told the bags would arrive on the original flight (which they did). So if the airline knows, it seems to be OK. I guess the TSA rule is to prevent "no shows" of pax after luggage is checked -- we have experienced delays when the airline had to unload luggage checked in by no shows. /Sultan

It is a bigger problem than you indicated:

a) TSA rules say you fly with the luggage or the luggage does not fly (I do not know how airlines get around that with delayed luggage).

Just to cheer you all up in the US - here in the UK we have a budget airline called Ryanair. It flies to most countries in Europe. This August we have to fly to Cork in Ireland for a family wedding. We are flying out the evening before the wedding and flying back the day after the wedding. We live in London and we can choose between Ryanair which flies out of Stansted Airport (35 minutes from home) or Aer Lingus which flies out of Heathrow ( 2 hours from our home). On with the story. We logged in to the Ryanair site and entered the dates. Great! Only £20.00 each return. Very cheap! So we started to book. On went the government taxes, plus the fuel charge, then hey- what's this? Are you checking in a bag? Yes, just one (we need it for our wedding finery and also our toilet bags which we aren't allowed to take through security). That will be an extra £12.00. And are you going to check-in at the airport or on-line? Well, at the airport because we have a bag you see and we haven't found a way for our computer to convey our bag to the plane. Right. Then that will be an extra £6, Mr K. Oh, and Mrs K, because you want to stand by your man in the queue, we'll be charging you an extra £6.00 as well for the joy of standing in front of the check-in desk. Total fare - £141.20. It's happening all over the world my dears.:rolleyes:

We will be flying United from Vancouver to San Francisco this May. Since we booked the flight last year we will not be effected. I plan on having 4 suitcases going back. :eek:

You shouldn't have any problem if the return flight was also booked before the cut off date. But just think of all those other jealous passengers on your flight with their single bag check in. ;)

Yes, thanks.... for posting.... Someone after my own heart....lol......

I have to share something else too. I was going to write to American Airlines to share as well and just haven't done it. I was about to be over the weight limit on my flight home in Dec. I rearranged a bunch and made it but that meant I had more in the carry on. I forgot what all I'd put in there. So I go through security, no problem.

I'm with my friends in the waiting area at the gate with time to waste and we're playing cards. I go in my carry on and I had put in there my creme rinse, shampoo, cologne, and something else. All liquids. All over the 3 oz...... I scared myself thinking of the fact if I got this through totally not remembering I'd had it in there, what about those that want to hurt us!!!

I went to new zealand for two weeks with carry on only--our group of 6 checked one duffel that contained our sleeping bags and my ski boots.

I went to europe for 1 month with one backpack--and I had to carry formal wear and camping gear.

we can all learn to pack a bit lighter or just pay. it is really not very much in the long run. the number of people on any one flight who are going on a cruise is so tiny....why would the airline care?

I don't mean to sound gender biased but are you male? I just don't know how, myself a woman, could ever do that. I require changes of clothes, hair supplies, make up..... It's all I can do to get my stuff in 1 bag. I've done that on a bet. But I also take dive gear....

It's just ridiculous to me......

Archived