United Airlines

stoneharborlady

I don't mean to sound gender biased but are you male? I just don't know how, myself a woman, could ever do that. I require changes of clothes, hair supplies, make up..... It's all I can do to get my stuff in 1 bag. I've done that on a bet. But I also take dive gear....

It's just ridiculous to me......

My husband is the worlds worst overpacker...who needs 6 shirts for 3 days in Vegas? ;)

My husband is the worlds worst overpacker...who needs 6 shirts for 3 days in Vegas? ;)

Ok, that's funny.... And he's worse than me then...lol.....

I know some people are high maintenance and some are low maintenance.... Me, I qualify for high maintenance....... Maybe we need a support group.....lol........

It is a bigger problem than you indicated:

a) TSA rules say you fly with the luggage or the luggage does not fly (I do not know how airlines get around that with delayed luggage).

I don't know how strictly enforced this is. My ex-wife and her sister were returning to Kansas City from Spain and weather in Chicago was rotten. They were scheduled on the 5:00 p.m. flight from ORD to MCI, which was cancelled, but the 2:00 p.m. flight was delayed until 5. One agent told them to catch that flight...but the gate agent cited the "your bags are checked on the other flight" rule and denied them boarding...so they ended up sleeping on a cot in the baggage claim of O'hare that night. When they got to Kansas City...it turns out that their luggage was put on the 2:00 p.m. flight that previous day...the one they were denied boarding on.

I don't know how strictly enforced this is. My ex-wife and her sister were returning to Kansas City from Spain and weather in Chicago was rotten. They were scheduled on the 5:00 p.m. flight from ORD to MCI, which was cancelled, but the 2:00 p.m. flight was delayed until 5. One agent told them to catch that flight...but the gate agent cited the "your bags are checked on the other flight" rule and denied them boarding...so they ended up sleeping on a cot in the baggage claim of O'hare that night. When they got to Kansas City...it turns out that their luggage was put on the 2:00 p.m. flight that previous day...the one they were denied boarding on.

We recently returned home after a cruise out of Canaveral and were re-routed after our check on bags were long gone and it was no problem traveling separated from our check on bags. In that case we asked what the deal was on our very delayed flight, and the Airline recommend the re-routing so long as we could get aboard the alternative flight immediately since it was in the final stages of boarding and had empty seats.

As far as United charging discount fare passengers extra for more than one check on bag (Full fare, and returnable fare passengers are exempt) I have no problem. Less than one in four passengers check on two or more bags anyway.

If it'll keep my airfare price lower, do it.

Hope other airlines hold down prices by following suit. I don't feel like subsidizing some one else's five bags of cruise shoes and extra gowns. :cool:

I think we knew that this was coming, but the frequent flier thing kind of throws me. Wouldn't everyone just join the frequent flier club (assuming that there is anyone out there who isn't already a member of Mileage Plus)?

you have to be elite fly 25000 miles a year or more

To think that passengers can really go more than 3-5 days with only 1 piece of luggage.
My second piece of luggage is usually dive gear. But, I just think in general, to think each passenger can pack all they need for 7 days or more, into 1 suitcase is insane. Between clothes, hygiene products, hair dryer to good clothes to formal clothes to shoes!!
If you can't pack it all into one suitcase, you need more travel experience.

More than once I've done a four-week trip including a wedding with only one suitcase weighing about 50 pounds. You just need to know how to do it.

a) TSA rules say you fly with the luggage or the luggage does not fly (I do not know how airlines get around that with delayed luggage).
This is not actually the rule (where it applies).

The rule is that the passenger cannot voluntarily choose to have his luggage fly on another flight from himself.

So there is no problem with UA's new policy, because the passenger will not know whether or not his second bag is on the same flight as himself until he arrives at his destination. UA does not say that the second bag will not fly on your flight; only that it may not.

During the peak winter, spring and summer months, and during holiday periods, customers will be asked to voluntarily designate a secondary bag that may be placed on a later flight. We will only be able to guarantee a primary bag at times when capacity exceeds space limitations.

It was my understanding that the only bags that could not be transported were those of unaccounted for noshows. If the airline for some reason or other puts your bag on a different flight that should be okay. If you check a bag, and do not show up to board the aircraft then the bag must be offloaded. That is the way it was explained to me when it happened to us when we were voluntarily bumped. Our bags went on the original, earlier flight, and we followed several hours later.

I apparently need more travel experience also. I can't do a cruise in one suitcase and staying under 50 lbs including 2 formals.
In most of the world, you'd then be paying for excess baggage whenever you fly. The standard international baggage allowance on flights has long been something in the region of 20-25 kg (44-55 lbs) per person. I grew up with this, as did all of my family. When you have to pack within this limit on a regular basis, you learn how to do it.

And that's before you look at the thousands of people who travel continuously for a year with only what's in one backpack. And who still have room to have a reasonably smart outfit for the occasional nice dinner.

It was my understanding that the only bags that could not be transported were those of unaccounted for noshows. If the airline for some reason or other puts your bag on a different flight that should be okay. If you check a bag, and do not show up to board the aircraft then the bag must be offloaded. That is the way it was explained to me when it happened to us when we were voluntarily bumped. Our bags went on the original, earlier flight, and we followed several hours later.

That would have been great if the gate agent would have known about it....they insisted that my ex and her sister could NOT board that plane because their bags were checked on another flight. Just after the plane pulled away from the gate, another agent told them that they should have been allowed to board. So...luxury accomodations on a cot in the O'hare baggage claim.

It would be beneficial to those of us with less experience if you could post your packing list for a 2 week cruise.:)

Here's what I packed for 12-day Med cruise. Keep in mind it was November, so clothes were heavier than you'd bring in spring, summer, or early fall (so if I can do it, you can too!). Probably more detail than you wanted.....

25" Suitcase:

Long black silk formal skirt

2 formal tops (Black and Ivory)

1 pair black satin pants (Casual dinners)

1 pair black matte jersey pants (Casual dinners)

5 tops for Casual dinners (lightweight, wear each twice)

Black knit shell (for wear under some tops above)

2 pair pants for daytime wear (1 khaki, 1 black)

1 pair knit capris (for climbing around ruins and/or riding camels!)

1 pair trouser jeans for daytime wear

2 silk/cotton twinsets to mix/match with all pants

1 wool sweater

3 short-sleeved t-shirts

1 long-sleeved t-shirt

2 blouses (mix/match with several t-shirts & sweaters for layering)

Lightweight cotton hoodie

1 pair pajamas (lightweight, could hand-wash & dry)

1 small black purse (use for formal & casual)

1 pair dressy black shoes (for formal & casual)

1 pair walking shoes

3 sets of underwear (never bring more, it's easy to wash)

Silk underwear

Bathing suit (for hot tub; used ship's robe as coverup)

Black silk scarf (for head covering if needed)

Travel steamer

Curling iron

Money belt

Make-up & toiletries (see below)

Carry-on bag:

Travel documents & trip notes

Camera & battery charger

Jewelry (small roll)

Change of clothes (1 pair pants and 1 shirt, underwear)

Socks for plane

Book to read

I-pod & charger

Umbrella

Travel alarm clock

Hand Carry:

Black water-repellent microfiber 3/4 length jacket w/ zip-out liner & hood

Purse

Wear on Plane:

Black pants

Silk/cotton leopard twinset (heavier weight)

Most comfortable slip-on walking shoes

Makeup & Toiletries:

1 small size deodorant

2 travel size toothpastes (1 in purse in "ziploc")

Toothbrush

Floss

1 small bottle of concentrated shampoo (around 4.5 oz)

1 tube concentrated conditioner (around 2 oz)

Small Round brush

"Giveaway" sized moisturizer & cleanser for face (1 each)

Body lotion (decanted into travel-size container)

Hair spray (decanted into travel-size container)

Perfume (decanted into purse-sized atomizer)

Small bottle liquid foundation

Powder compact w/mirror (carried in purse)

Mascara

Eyeshadow (compact of 4 plus 1 "sparkly" for evening)

Lipstick (for evening)

Eyeliner pencil

Colored lipgloss (carried in purse "ziploc")

Chapstick (carried in purse "ziploc")

Travel-sized Visine (carried in purse "ziploc")

Antibacterial gel (carried in purse "ziploc")

1 small bottle of Advil (also tossed in a few Tylenol)

1 foil-pack each of Immodium, Sudafed, Benedryl

Nail clippers

Tweezers

Razor

Several packets of woolite

Several bandaids & safety pins

I do not bring things like a pillow or blanket for the plane (the ones supplied are fine for me), my own teakettle or coffeemaker, a robe, a blowdryer, duct tape, a power strip, or a lot of other things some people find necessary. I also don't tend to bring back a lot more than I take (e.g., shopping), with the exception of jewelry and scarves, neither of which take up much space!

Packing heavier items like books, shoes, camera & electronics in your carry-on helps keep your suitcase within weight limits.

That's a very similiar list to what I took on our three week land trip. We use the Packing Cubes, I have three. Underwear, Bras, Socks in the small one, tops in the middle and pants and skirts in the large one...if it doesn't pack in the cubes it does go. Once they are in the suitcase. I use the top part for a couple of very light formal outfits... black crepe or silk pants with some very light jackets to change the look. Then in goes the cosmetics bag and the curling iron. Hair Dryer stays at home. We both love the packing cubes for packing light and staying organized.

If you can't pack it all into one suitcase, you need more travel experience.

Oh, I can pack it in one suitcase. But it won't be under 50 lbs. lol. But there are things one needs. I like a choice of clothes. I like to be clean and not where the same thing more than twice.

More than once I've done a four-week trip including a wedding with only one suitcase weighing about 50 pounds. You just need to know how to do it.

God Bless you but that's not me. I just think it's nuts to expect folks to have only one piece of luggage. If I do two, it's under 50lbs, I can have my dive gear and allow for any souvenirs. :D

Here's what I packed for 12-day Med cruise. Keep in mind it was November, so clothes were heavier than you'd bring in spring, summer, or early fall (so if I can do it, you can too!). Probably more detail than you wanted.....

25" Suitcase:

Long black silk formal skirt

2 formal tops (Black and Ivory)

1 pair black satin pants (Casual dinners)

1 pair black matte jersey pants (Casual dinners)

5 tops for Casual dinners (lightweight, wear each twice)

Black knit shell (for wear under some tops above)

2 pair pants for daytime wear (1 khaki, 1 black)

1 pair knit capris (for climbing around ruins and/or riding camels!)

1 pair trouser jeans for daytime wear

2 silk/cotton twinsets to mix/match with all pants

1 wool sweater

3 short-sleeved t-shirts

1 long-sleeved t-shirt

2 blouses (mix/match with several t-shirts & sweaters for layering)

Lightweight cotton hoodie

1 pair pajamas (lightweight, could hand-wash & dry)

1 small black purse (use for formal & casual)

1 pair dressy black shoes (for formal & casual)

1 pair walking shoes

3 sets of underwear (never bring more, it's easy to wash)

Silk underwear

Bathing suit (for hot tub; used ship's robe as coverup)

Black silk scarf (for head covering if needed)

Travel steamer

Curling iron

Money belt

Make-up & toiletries (see below)

Carry-on bag:

Travel documents & trip notes

Camera & battery charger

Jewelry (small roll)

Change of clothes (1 pair pants and 1 shirt, underwear)

Socks for plane

Book to read

I-pod & charger

Umbrella

Travel alarm clock

Hand Carry:

Black water-repellent microfiber 3/4 length jacket w/ zip-out liner & hood

Purse

Wear on Plane:

Black pants

Silk/cotton leopard twinset (heavier weight)

Most comfortable slip-on walking shoes

Makeup & Toiletries:

1 small size deodorant

2 travel size toothpastes (1 in purse in "ziploc")

Toothbrush

Floss

1 small bottle of concentrated shampoo (around 4.5 oz)

1 tube concentrated conditioner (around 2 oz)

Small Round brush

"Giveaway" sized moisturizer & cleanser for face (1 each)

Body lotion (decanted into travel-size container)

Hair spray (decanted into travel-size container)

Perfume (decanted into purse-sized atomizer)

Small bottle liquid foundation

Powder compact w/mirror (carried in purse)

Mascara

Eyeshadow (compact of 4 plus 1 "sparkly" for evening)

Lipstick (for evening)

Eyeliner pencil

Colored lipgloss (carried in purse "ziploc")

Chapstick (carried in purse "ziploc")

Travel-sized Visine (carried in purse "ziploc")

Antibacterial gel (carried in purse "ziploc")

1 small bottle of Advil (also tossed in a few Tylenol)

1 foil-pack each of Immodium, Sudafed, Benedryl

Nail clippers

Tweezers

Razor

Several packets of woolite

Several bandaids & safety pins

I do not bring things like a pillow or blanket for the plane (the ones supplied are fine for me), my own teakettle or coffeemaker, a robe, a blowdryer, duct tape, a power strip, or a lot of other things some people find necessary. I also don't tend to bring back a lot more than I take (e.g., shopping), with the exception of jewelry and scarves, neither of which take up much space!

Packing heavier items like books, shoes, camera & electronics in your carry-on helps keep your suitcase within weight limits.

Cynthia,

That's a great list. Thanks for posting. I think I have less or just a big different and it's over 50lbs. So I usually put some stuff in my dive bag. I have to re-evaluate. I think the only difference is that, again TMI but I take the "undies" that I am ready to throw away. So I come back with less. Same with socks. And I take half full or 3/4 full, depends on length of cruise, shampoo/creme rinse/hair spray and throw away at the end..... I will keep this list. Now it's a challenge. lol......

Can't speak for Globaliser, but for me, it's pretty much the same as a one week cruise with the exception "laundry service" fees on my final bill.

Exactly. My husband and I (no, I'm not the Queen) always pack enough clothes for one week - including changes for the evening if required. We did a 6 week tour of Europe with one 29" expandable suitcase and a daypack each.

One of the keys is cut down on things that take up too much room like shoes. On a cruise, all you need is one pair of casuals eg mules, walking shoes, dress shoes and maybe a pair of flip flops. I've seen people talk about taking a spare pair of everyting in case... if something goes wrong with a pair of your shoes, buy another pair.

Also large toiletries take up a lot of room. Take smaller containers and replace when required. Also taking non essentials like jewellery.

Then of course there are the alcohol smugglers - that takes up a lot of room and weight.

Also when buying souvenirs and gifts try and buy things that will pack flat like linen and avoid large bulky breakable items.

Spirit airlines implemented a charge for second bags a few months ago. We ended up making flight arrangements with USAirways for our upcoming cruise.

Problem with US Air, they don't charge you for the bag, but they can't find it either:-)

I apparently need more travel experience also. I can't do a cruise in one suitcase and staying under 50 lbs including 2 formals.

You are not alone.

I don't want to do a cruise with one suitcase, under 50 lbs.

Let's hope the airlines recognize we are the customers and deserve some service.

Flew on Air France and Atlatia last year, was very impressed with the level of service received. Am increasingly disappointed in the services provided on American carriers and that is a sad commentary for sure.

In most of the world, you'd then be paying for excess baggage whenever you fly. The standard international baggage allowance on flights has long been something in the region of 20-25 kg (44-55 lbs) per person. I grew up with this, as did all of my family. When you have to pack within this limit on a regular basis, you learn how to do it.

And that's before you look at the thousands of people who travel continuously for a year with only what's in one backpack. And who still have room to have a reasonably smart outfit for the occasional nice dinner.

I flew Air France and Atalitia last November with 2 suitcases each, per person, just under 50 lbs each, plus a a garment bag and personal item. Two suitcases was the standard on both carriers under 50 lbs each for coach at no additional charge, plus the carryon.

You are not alone.

I don't want to do a cruise with one suitcase, under 50 lbs.

Let's hope the airlines recognize we are the customers and deserve some service.

Flew on Air France and Atlatia last year, was very impressed with the level of service received. Am increasingly disappointed in the services provided on American carriers and that is a sad commentary for sure.

They don't see you as a customer, they see themselves as service providers and you are their captive audience. So in their eyes, get over your attitiudes about not being able to pack less than 50lbs, just be prepared to pay extra. They are all the same if you are flying economy. Just as you are all the same to them if you are flying economy.

This is nothing more than a glorified bus service. Unless you are prepared to pay the big bucks for the extra service etc, you are just one of many.

I flew Air France and Atalitia last November with 2 suitcases each, per person, just under 50 lbs each, plus a a garment bag and personal item. Two suitcases was the standard on both carriers under 50 lbs each for coach at no additional charge, plus the carryon.
That's because these flights were in the main exception: flights to/from/via North America.

In the rest of the world, the standard economy baggage allowance remains 20 kg or thereabouts per person.

Archived