United Airlines

stoneharborlady

The airlines are NOT taking into account the time you will be away from home. I can see a single bag for a short trip but on a longer trip, 10 days or more, you should be allowed additional bags.

That paragraph about them being able to send a second bag, even though charged for, on another flight is what really bothers me. That could definitely put a damper on some future passengers flying United to a cruise, even the day before they sail. They loose enough bags now, can you only imagine what would happen if they started sending that second bag on an unrelated flight? :eek: :eek:

The airlines are NOT taking into account the time you will be away from home. I can see a single bag for a short trip but on a longer trip, 10 days or more, you should be allowed additional bags.
Why does the longer time you spend away from home change the cost to the airline of carrying your bag?

Well I for one wont be flying united. There are plenty of choices out there that allow my 2 bags for cruises. Next year I am doing the Carnival Splendor 49 day cruise I sure hope I will be able to take 2 checked bags without paying more.

debkjw

Well I for one wont be flying united. There are plenty of choices out there that allow my 2 bags for cruises. Next year I am doing the Carnival Splendor 49 day cruise I sure hope I will be able to take 2 checked bags without paying more.

debkjw

This is something I would keep a close eye on. It is like the fuel surcharge, when one airline starts this, usually the others will follow suit.

MarketWatch.com

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/greenberg/2008/02/united-how-to-alienate-customers/

February 4th, 2008

What the geniuses at United Airlines are thinking, charging $25 for second piece of luggage, is boggling. Those of us who fly United (I’ll be on a flight in several hours) know that in many markets United’s prices appear to be higher than mainline rivals. Now they’re the first non-discount carrier to charge for an extra piece of luggage? The two-bag limit, among full-fare airlines, is sacrosanct. Charge for pillows in economy or aisle seats? Sure, go ahead. But a second piece of baggage when your fares are already perceived to be higher than others?

Ah, but don’t worry: United says they won’t charge Mileage Plus members like me? Well, this memo to United: How do you expect anybody to become a frequent flier if they boycott your airline out of principle?

And would be too bad, because United’s Economy Plus, which offers extra legroom, can’t be beat and, in fact, is the primary reason I remain loyal to the airline.

Next they will be weighing the passengers....

Dear Reader,

There is no set weight limit for passengers on commercial flights in the U.S., but some airlines, most notably Southwest, require customers who cannot fit in one seat to book a second. Southwest uses the armrest as a gauge: When a passenger cannot lower the armrests on a single seat, he or she is required to purchase another, regardless of his or her actual weight. If the flight does not oversell, the airline will refund the price of the second seat. These rules are controversial, but Southwest has stood by its policy despite several unsuccessful lawsuits against it. Guidelines for this policy are listed on the Southwest website.

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/there-weight-size-limit.html?id=15819

And for someone that has suffered through giving half of their seat to the passenger next to them because the other passenger can't fit into theirs, I totally agree with this policy.

I wish all airlines would do this, although I know they did try some time ago.

You haven't lived until you are in economy on an international flight with only half a seat to use. ARGH!

(But that is going way off the topic of this thread, so back to the case at hand) ;)

And for someone that has suffered through giving half of their seat to the passenger next to them because the other passenger can't fit into theirs, I totally agree with this policy.

You haven't lived until you are in economy on an international flight with only half a seat to use. ARGH!

I agree Toto, VERY uncomfortable.

Karen

We have avoided United for many years, even though we live near SFO. Will continue to do so, along with avoiding other airlines that adopt such policies, as much as possible. I do hope other american carriers do not follow suit.

We flew on Air France and Aitalia last year. What a pleasant experience we had on both. If american carriers continue to reduce their customer services we will be inclined to travel on foreign carriers for overseas flights. I am pro american and feel we should expect more from our carriers than we are currently receiving. Voting with our dollars is the only choice we have to get our message across. :(

During the peak winter, spring and summer months, and during holiday periods, customers will be asked to voluntarily designate a secondary bag that may be placed on a later flight. We will only be able to guarantee a primary bag at times when capacity exceeds space limitations.

So what is left - fall????

I almost always fly United. I should say I used to always fly United. I guess I will wait to see what to do with what the other airlines are doing.

So, will they waive formal nights now?

Next they will be weighing the passengers....

What do you mean next? They should be doing that now!!!! If your butt won't fit between the armrests without flowing into the other seats then you should be chaged for two seats. i don't like paying to have an overweight person sitting in my seat and theirs at the SAME time.

(But that is going way off the topic of this thread, so back to the case at hand) ;)

Been there, done that. I'm not skinny myself but a few years ago, I had a flight from Munich to Boston on Lufthansa where the guy in the middle seat had to be 6'6" and over 300lb. I had the window seat and spent the 8 - 9 hours leaning to the side -- I couldn't sit up straight because of the guy next to me. It was absolutely awful!

We've often done the "poor man's Biz Class" and if there were two of us flying, buy the center seat so we could spread out, relax, put our drinks on the center tray, etc. One year, I did that flying from LAX to Boston even though I was by myself and the plane was full, very full. The guy in the aisle seat happened to be very tall and was concerned about where he was going to put his feet on the flight. I told him, "Relax. The middle one is mine too." He was so thankful he bought me a drink. :)

This is bullhockey...... There's another airlines off my list. lol.. It's ridiculous. To think that passengers can really go more than 3-5 days with only 1 piece of luggage. If I were a nudist maybe.... lol.... It's insane.... and of course the hit the little people so to speak. The ones who don't make alot of money or can't afford the perks. Just like our govt.... Makes me rather angry.....

They are simply passing the high oil prices along to the consumer, like the cruise lines are doing. You must realize that aviation fuel is running almost $110 per barrel these days.

It's not the end of the world, cough up the $25 or cram everything, your choice, because if United gets away with it, everyone will be doing it soon...

It's not our fault the gas prices are so high. I could tolerate $20 increase in fair price per person versus $25 luggage charge. And mean, charge everyone. Including the ones in first class....

And you can't "cram" everything in or you'll be over the weight limit. Let alone allowing for those things you might purchase on your trip. It just stinks........

This is bullhockey...... There's another airlines off my list. lol.. It's ridiculous. To think that passengers can really go more than 3-5 days with only 1 piece of luggage. If I were a nudist maybe.... lol.... It's insane.... and of course the hit the little people so to speak. The ones who don't make alot of money or can't afford the perks. Just like our govt.... Makes me rather angry.....
I agree that this is insane but even for a 2-week cruise, I pack everything into ONE 25" suitcase. And no, I'm not a nudist -- that would frighten too many people. For my upcoming five week trip, I'm bringing the 25" suitcase and a supplemental 18" suitcase. You really don't need to bring the kitchen sink.

It's not our fault the gas prices are so high. I could tolerate $20 increase in fair price per person versus $25 luggage charge. And mean, charge everyone. Including the ones in first class....

And you can't "cram" everything in or you'll be over the weight limit. Let alone allowing for those things you might purchase on your trip. It just stinks........

Why should the person that has learnt to pack light pay for your stuff?

Why should the person that has learnt to pack light pay for your stuff?

Well, fair enough. But not all of the reason for having 2 pieces is for tons of stuff. My second piece of luggage is usually dive gear. But, I just think in general, to think each passenger can pack all they need for 7 days or more, into 1 suitcase is insane. Between clothes, hygiene products, hair dryer to good clothes to formal clothes to shoes!! It adds up..... And I often wear shirts/shorts twice. Just seems unrealistic to me for the airlines to think WE ALL can do that in 1 suitcase.......

Not that I agree with United's new policy, but it's not that hard to pack light. For our 12-day Med cruise I took one suitcase, and that also included a 3-day post-cruise stay in Rome. One standard-size suitcase. And yes, I packed for 2 formal nights!

On a business trip this fall, I packed for a week's worth of meetings plus an additional 3 days of sightseeing in one carryon bag. This included 2 business jackets and a dinner dress, among other things.

Frankly, I decided a few years ago I was tired of schlepping so much stuff on trips and wasting time packing and unpacking. If you put a little thought into it, you can pack enough in one suitcase to travel almost indefinitely (of course, doing laundry occasionally....)

Here's a relevant thread just posted today on packing light:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=707582

I agree that this is insane but even for a 2-week cruise, I pack everything into ONE 25" suitcase. And no, I'm not a nudist -- that would frighten too many people. For my upcoming five week trip, I'm bringing the 25" suitcase and a supplemental 18" suitcase. You really don't need to bring the kitchen sink.

See, I have no problem packing it all in one suitcase, but it's not under 50#. lol..... Now if they are only going to allow 1 piece of luggage, they should lift the weight limit....... :D

Archived