Dock Or Tender?

almtyrob

There are quite a few differences between docking and tendering:

1. The obvious - the extra time required for tendering, not just the actual "sailing time" for the tender, but also the queing waiting in line for the tender, and tenders may run only at intervals, e.g. every quarter hour or whatever

2. If the weather is bad and the waves rough, tendering ports get cancelled (and those who make prior excursion arrangements especially with private guides) will have trouble. It is rare that docking ports get cancelled

3. For docking ports, you can get on and off the ship with your own feet (for most people). Due to this convenience, you can get on and off the ship several times at a given port of call if you so wish. If your shore excursion is not far, you can return for lunch, snack, whatever, and go on shore again. Due to the time constraint and clumsiness of tendering, most people will not want to dis/embark more than once at a tender port, so they have to plan accordingly

4. For those who are handicapped, especially in a wheel chair, they may not be able to go ashore at a tender port at all.

I just called Oceania to check on tendered ports and a lovely lady was happy to give me the information. On our June 5 Rome to Venice cruise (with similar ports) we are tendered in Bonifacio, Portofino, La Spezia, Amalfi/Positano, Sorrento, Taormina, Dubrovnik. We are docked in Livorno, Corfu, Kotor and Venice.

I agree with previous poster that it is helpful information to know in planning port stops. If you want to go on and off ship during stops you think twice about doing it if tendered - takes too much time. We have a whole day in Corfu (we've been before) and may want to go out in the morning, come back for a break, and go out again in the afternoon.

We are traveling with a large group and not all of us have priority tendering so we may not all be able to get off the ship together. We need to know this in planning our excursions

We are traveling with a large group and not all of us have priority tendering so we may not all be able to get off the ship together. We need to know this in planning our excursions

Just curious..

Who gets priority tendering?

We just go when the open tendering is announced or with the tour group.

It is my understanding that concierge and above levels get priority tendering. If you are taking a tour with the ship this will not be a problem for you because you will be called with the group, but if you are traveling independently, it is nice to get one of the earliest boats to shore.

...the cruise we're on from Rome to Venice has half of the stops tendered. So being in April, I'm guessing you hope for fair seas, or you could be spending a lot of time on the ship instead of visiting the ports...

...guess its a good thing we're spending an additional three weeks in Italy on land...

...I'm also assuming you receive a full refund if the port excursion you've booked is at a stop where its too rough to tender...

cheers'

the Imagineers

• 2 weeks later...

On Oceania's Nautica, we docked in Dubrovnik and in Monte Carlo. However, we had to wait until early afternoon the get into the latter, so it's a matter of priority. While visiting Monte Carlo on a land trip, I have seen numerous ships anchored off shore. Based on what I've experienced, the smaller ships such as those operated by Oceania, Silversea, Regent, etc, seem more likely to dock in MC, which has a very small pier and crowded harbor.

We were supposed to dock in Monte Carlo, but ended up tendering. On the day we were there, quite a few cruise ships and yachts were in port. I did not see any vessel docked. The harbor was busy with all of the tenders.

I suspect that the Harbor Master in Monte Carlo adjusts the dock/tender arrangements based upon the harbor activity.

Archived