Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

martincath - We are not used to big city bike riding, just in our small suburb on residential streets. Your bike options does look interesting though!

We are foodies, but it doesn't need to be expensive food. I love cheap food truck food, as long as it's tasty. Since we'll dress up for Blue Water for DH's bday, we were hoping to keep our lunch & dinner more casual. I was thinking for lunch either Nicli Antica or Meat & Bread.

What spot on the water would your recommend where we could show up in nice shorts & T-shirts?

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for clarifying both your biking experience and food budget.

For the former - I grew up cycling around rural Scotland, then did a little in suburban Toronto before moving here. I avoid city streets like the plague unless they have good bike lanes but have no problem with the route I indicated in my first post - Carrall has a great separated lane on each side that leads straight down onto the Seawall, and only bikes & pedestrians are allowed on the Seawall (early or late in the day an occasional Parks pickup truck comes along to do maintenance, but they drive verrrrrryyyyy slllooooooowwwwww). If in doubt, walk your bikes down to the Garden.

As to cheap but good food - finding something that is good, cheap, and has a view/proximity to the Seawall or Stanley Park is outrageously hard unless your definition of cheap is very elastic. The Cactus Club that I mentioned already is IMO the best value food proposition, but it's not cheap.

If you want to dine well on the Seawall at lunch on a budget, the best option by far is a picnic. You can get to the Urban Fare supermarket at Davie very easily (bike lane on Davie, and it's literally one block up from the seawall. Easy to spot too - there's a very large art installation right at the bottom of Davie, and the roundabout has a set of railroad wheels & a bit of track. The selection of premade salads & sandwiches in the deli is excellent - and if you want you can actually dine in their cafe, with booze even, though the view is a very narrow slice even from the tables outside.

If you want to avoid any non-Seawall/park biking, Reckless opposite Urban Fare might be an option - walk to gardens, then to Urban Fare, then grab the bikes.

Some of my fave relative bargain dinner spots near your hotel include: La Taqueria (outstanding homemade tacos, a filling dinner can be had for ~$20 per person and it's just a couple of blocks along Hastings from your hotel); Nuba (other side of Victory Square from la Taq, just across the street from Meat & Bread) which has the best cauliflower dish ever; and one of the local foodie meccas Japadog (the Robson branch is a proper sit-down, but they have carts scattered around town with shorter menus). Near Stanley Park there's one of the best ramen places in town, Kintaro.

This is the official list of all the licensed food trucks - I suggest a Yelp/Tripadvisor/Google search on the ones with a type of food you like to see who's doing it best.

Dress code - again, there's no such animal in Vancouver.

Edited by martincath

Thanks for clarifying both your biking experience and food budget.

For the former - I grew up cycling around rural Scotland, then did a little in suburban Toronto before moving here. I avoid city streets like the plague unless they have good bike lanes but have no problem with the route I indicated in my first post - Carrall has a great separated lane on each side that leads straight down onto the Seawall, and only bikes & pedestrians are allowed on the Seawall (early or late in the day an occasional Parks pickup truck comes along to do maintenance, but they drive verrrrrryyyyy slllooooooowwwwww). If in doubt, walk your bikes down to the Garden.

As to cheap but good food - finding something that is good, cheap, and has a view/proximity to the Seawall or Stanley Park is outrageously hard unless your definition of cheap is very elastic. The Cactus Club that I mentioned already is IMO the best value food proposition, but it's not cheap.

If you want to dine well on the Seawall at lunch on a budget, the best option by far is a picnic. You can get to the Urban Fare supermarket at Davie very easily (bike lane on Davie, and it's literally one block up from the seawall. Easy to spot too - there's a very large art installation right at the bottom of Davie, and the roundabout has a set of railroad wheels & a bit of track. The selection of premade salads & sandwiches in the deli is excellent - and if you want you can actually dine in their cafe, with booze even, though the view is a very narrow slice even from the tables outside.

If you want to avoid any non-Seawall/park biking, Reckless opposite Urban Fare might be an option - walk to gardens, then to Urban Fare, then grab the bikes.

Some of my fave relative bargain dinner spots near your hotel include: La Taqueria (outstanding homemade tacos, a filling dinner can be had for ~$20 per person and it's just a couple of blocks along Hastings from your hotel); Nuba (other side of Victory Square from la Taq, just across the street from Meat & Bread) which has the best cauliflower dish ever; and one of the local foodie meccas Japadog (the Robson branch is a proper sit-down, but they have carts scattered around town with shorter menus). Near Stanley Park there's one of the best ramen places in town, Kintaro.

This is the official list of all the licensed food trucks - I suggest a Yelp/Tripadvisor/Google search on the ones with a type of food you like to see who's doing it best.

Dress code - again, there's no such animal in Vancouver.

You have been so helpful! My DH and I really appreciate it! We are looking forward to spending some time in your city! :)

Is their a place near the Pan Pacific Center that I can buy wine prior to boarding my Celebrity cruise? I would like to just drop off my luggage at the pier and be able to walk somewhere close.

Is their a place near the Pan Pacific Center that I can buy wine prior to boarding my Celebrity cruise? I would like to just drop off my luggage at the pier and be able to walk somewhere close.

The nearest liquor store is on Cordova Street at Seymour in the basement of Harbour Centre. About a 3 block walk.

The nearest liquor store is on Cordova Street at Seymour in the basement of Harbour Centre. About a 3 block walk.
Most government liquor stores open at 10AM M-Sat and 11AM on Sun.

Unfortunately, the Cordova Street one is closed on Sundays:

REGULAR HOURS

Monday 10:00AM - 6:00PM

Tuesday 10:00AM - 6:00PM

Wednesday 10:00AM - 6:00PM

Thursday 10:00AM - 6:00PM

Friday 10:00AM - 6:00PM

Saturday 10:00AM - 6:00PM

Sunday Closed

The Signature store at Bute & Alberni is open Sundays/Holidays 11-6, and also from 9:30-11 every other day. It's further, c. 1.2km, so unless it's a Sunday you board or you need a very obscure wine (Signature stores carry a wider range of product and theoretically have more knowledgeable staff) stick to the Harbour Centre one.

Thank you to all who contribute to this board. I am here now and enjoying Beautiful Vancouver! Took one of the tips and purchased Burrowing Owl wine to take aboard ship. The employee at the package store said it was one of the best wines in his opinion! Looking forward to tasting it. Almost wish I could take a few bottles home with me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

I have to admit, I haven't read every post in the 247 pages, (but have read dozens and dozens) and hoping to get a little help. We will arrive on Tuesday May 12, 2015, staying at Pan Pacific, and embarking the Coral Princess on Wednesday, May 13, 2015.

We are reading here and there about the underground ar the Fairmont Hotel across the street from Canada Place if my memory serves me correct. If we are not staying at that hotel, I'm assuming that you can access the underground level in places other than the hotel?

We are hoping to find dinner options (nothing heavy as we will likely be overeating on the cruise, lol) and walking around time at this underground area.

Any tips/suggestions/comments are welcome - unless you're gonna flame me. :D

TIA

Unlike cities in the east we don't really have much of a connected underground area in Vancouver - as already mentioned above there are several below-ground malls, some of which do let you cross under roads into a neighbouring block (e.g. the Pacific Centre or Sinclair Centre - the latter is very close to you - and the Waterfront Centre).

You can walk between the PP (as it's inside the Canada Place complex) and the Fairmont, or even Waterfront Station, using the Waterfront Centre mall/foodcourt level without going outside (map here) but unless the weather is foul it's much quicker to just walk across the street.

If you're happy with a dinner of burgers, sandwiches, pizza, or extremely Gringoed ethnic food - typical food court fare basically - then there are certainly options below Canada Place or just across the road. Personally I'd rather eat well even for a small meal, and there are even options with a view close by:

Cactus Club if you're feeling a little fancy provides excellent value, albeit not at the cheapest pricepoint, it's a good spot for light fish dishes like tuna tataki;

Tap & Barrel has outdoor seating if the weather behaves and a broad pub-grub menu that is a significant step up in quality from Mahoneys below for very little price difference (though the latter has their outdoor seats under cover so you can sit out in the rain without getting wet);

Rogue now has a convention centre branch, even closer than their Waterfront Station original location to the PP - a pretty broad menu with a few very quirky items like sushi bombs and corndogs-on-sticks;

Hapa Izakaya's nearest branch offers a wide range of Japanese dishes, from simple and filling ramen bowls to multi-course menus;

Several local food trucks are commonly parked conveniently close to the PP - you'd have to eat on the early side as they're more of a lunchtime than dinner option in this neighbourhood, so check the hours they operate. Once we get into cruise season a couple tend to stay around longer - but your cruise might be too early for the trucks unless you're willing to wander further afield.

This coming August we will be arriving a day early for a cruise. We will be staying at the Marriott Pinnacle. We are avid walkers, and Stanley Park appears to be close. Is it what you would consider walking distance from the hotel?

Personally? Absolutely - but my personal definition of 'walkable,' 'close,' and 'avid' may differ from yours!

I'd summarize by saying that if you think a 10 mile leisurely walk is enjoyable - go for it. If you mock marathoners as effete wimps then look into the Grouse Grind for a bit of a pre-breakfast challenge before hitting the park. If anything over five miles is a scary concept rent a bike. If you don't like the thought of more than a couple of miles, take a carriage tour or park shuttle and walk a bit of the Seawall before or after (or during on the shuttle, it's a HOHO).

More measurable data: from the Pinnacle, by the most direct route, you're looking at almost exactly one mile/1.6km to the park entrance. If you take the more scenic Seawall, another couple of hundred yards. Then a single loop around the Seawall and back to your startpoint via Lost Lagoon (the 'neck' if the park is the head of downtown) adds another c.8km/5miles. Then of course back to the hotel - total distance ~14km/8.5miles.

All very flat with beautiful views - but that's without any deviations to see the Rose Garden, Beaver Lake, the Aquarium or any other interior part of the park which most folks do like to see some of. It's not so much the distance to the park, it's how much you wander around inside it - it's big, with a lot of trails. Even in the middle of summer you can get lucky and find yourself surrounded by trees, nary another human in sight, for a few minutes when you get off the main paved routes.

This coming August we will be arriving a day early for a cruise. We will be staying at the Marriott Pinnacle. We are avid walkers, and Stanley Park appears to be close. Is it what you would consider walking distance from the hotel?

As you say you are "avid" walkers, then Stanley Park is definitely walking distance. Walking from Canada Place to and around the seawall is one of our favourite things to do. As mentioned, it is quite level with lovely views of the water, mountains and park. You can take a jaunt into the park or go all the way around the seawall to the English Bay side.

Here are a couple of printable pdf maps:

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Stanley-Park-Map-Guide-2012.pdf

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Stanley-Park-trails-map.pdf

As you say you are "avid" walkers, then Stanley Park is definitely walking distance. Walking from Canada Place to and around the seawall is one of our favourite things to do. As mentioned, it is quite level with lovely views of the water, mountains and park. You can take a jaunt into the park or go all the way around the seawall to the English Bay side.

Here are a couple of printable pdf maps:

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Stanley-Park-Map-Guide-2012.pdf

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Stanley-Park-trails-map.pdf

Thanks for the quick reply! Looking forward to August.

Unlike cities in the east we don't really have much of a connected underground area in Vancouver - as already mentioned above there are several below-ground malls, some of which do let you cross under roads into a neighbouring block (e.g. the Pacific Centre or Sinclair Centre - the latter is very close to you - and the Waterfront Centre).

You can walk between the PP (as it's inside the Canada Place complex) and the Fairmont, or even Waterfront Station, using the Waterfront Centre mall/foodcourt level without going outside (map here) but unless the weather is foul it's much quicker to just walk across the street.

If you're happy with a dinner of burgers, sandwiches, pizza, or extremely Gringoed ethnic food - typical food court fare basically - then there are certainly options below Canada Place or just across the road. Personally I'd rather eat well even for a small meal, and there are even options with a view close by:

Cactus Club if you're feeling a little fancy provides excellent value, albeit not at the cheapest pricepoint, it's a good spot for light fish dishes like tuna tataki;

Tap & Barrel has outdoor seating if the weather behaves and a broad pub-grub menu that is a significant step up in quality from Mahoneys below for very little price difference (though the latter has their outdoor seats under cover so you can sit out in the rain without getting wet);

Rogue now has a convention centre branch, even closer than their Waterfront Station original location to the PP - a pretty broad menu with a few very quirky items like sushi bombs and corndogs-on-sticks;

Hapa Izakaya's nearest branch offers a wide range of Japanese dishes, from simple and filling ramen bowls to multi-course menus;

Several local food trucks are commonly parked conveniently close to the PP - you'd have to eat on the early side as they're more of a lunchtime than dinner option in this neighbourhood, so check the hours they operate. Once we get into cruise season a couple tend to stay around longer - but your cruise might be too early for the trucks unless you're willing to wander further afield.

Wow! Thank you, amartincath, for taking the time to list all of this. We will surely use this info during our short stay. :)

Thanks for the quick reply! Looking forward to August.

I'm sure others have mentioned this,but we loved riding bikes around Stanley Park. you can stop at the totem poles or a quick picnic . The bike rentals are close and it is an easy process to rent them. We are criuising again this May and sure hope the weather allows for another bike ride. We love Vancouver !!!! :D

I have to admit, I haven't read every post in the 247 pages, (but have read dozens and dozens) and hoping to get a little help. We will arrive on Tuesday May 12, 2015, staying at Pan Pacific, and embarking the Coral Princess on Wednesday, May 13, 2015.

We are reading here and there about the underground ar the Fairmont Hotel across the street from Canada Place if my memory serves me correct. If we are not staying at that hotel, I'm assuming that you can access the underground level in places other than the hotel?

We are hoping to find dinner options (nothing heavy as we will likely be overeating on the cruise, lol) and walking around time at this underground area.

Any tips/suggestions/comments are welcome - unless you're gonna flame me. :D

TIA

If you are staying @ Canada Place(Pan Pacific), then parking there is also an option. It is run by an independent company (Vinci) and there is a link on this link that will take you to reservations. They do have a discounted price for cruisers. On the Vinci site, follow their links to take you to reservation, input your date, choose "cruise parking". and it will show you pricing of $186.21. It will tell you to pick up discount coupon when arriving at parking and it will be around $25 off this pricing.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/transportationandparking.aspx

Edited by Semi Retired

I recently took the Canada line down to Waterfront station before heading to Science World/China Town to check out the Bolt Bus for Seattle.

There wss a sign clearly posted to direct you to Cruise ship terminal/Canada Place. You won't get lost.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

We arrive into YVR late in the evening the day before our cruise. We are staying at the Westin Wall Center YVR. There is a shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

The following day, we'd like to take the Canada line to the Waterfront station. The closest embarkation point is the Bridgeport station.

Does anyone know what the walk is like from this hotel to the Bridgeport station? Doable with a reasonable amount of luggage on rollers?

Thanks.

B

We arrive into YVR late in the evening the day before our cruise. We are staying at the Westin Wall Center YVR. There is a shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

The following day, we'd like to take the Canada line to the Waterfront station. The closest embarkation point is the Bridgeport station.

Does anyone know what the walk is like from this hotel to the Bridgeport station? Doable with a reasonable amount of luggage on rollers?

Thanks.

B

I have stayed at the Westin Wall Centre twice recently and while it is a lovely hotel, it is in a neighbourhood that is transitioning from and industrial neighbourhood to a high density office/residential area and there is construction and demolition everywhere. I haven't looked at sidewalks but the roads are terrible around the hotel. Your closest Canada Line station is Aberdeen which is about a 10 min walk the Bridgeport is about 15 mins. My advice would be to take the shuttle back to YVR and take the Canada Line from there....or see if they would take you to the Aberdeen Station if you really want to take the Canada Line.

I have stayed at the Westin Wall Centre twice recently and while it is a lovely hotel, it is in a neighbourhood that is transitioning from and industrial neighbourhood to a high density office/residential area and there is construction and demolition everywhere. I haven't looked at sidewalks but the roads are terrible around the hotel. Your closest Canada Line station is Aberdeen which is about a 10 min walk the Bridgeport is about 15 mins. My advice would be to take the shuttle back to YVR and take the Canada Line from there....or see if they would take you to the Aberdeen Station if you really want to take the Canada Line.

Thanks. That's just the information I needed. Based on this, we'll just take a cab.

B