Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Just wondering if all is the same as about 2 yr ago at the Accent Inn in Barnaby. Thank you. We stayed there and had a wonderful experience both with the hotel and their transportation. Friends of ours will be needing a place to stay. I just want to be sure all is still pretty much the same. Thank you.

I haven't been in the property for a few years. but go by it 4 to 6 times a year and it all remains pretty much the same .... maybe the landscaping is a little more mature in the neighbourhood. Accent is a very well run family owned company who offer a good product at a reasonable price. Your fiends will likely need to book a cruise package to get the shuttle to Canada Place

I was down at the cruise terminal today - there appears to be just the one screening area but there is a big improvement in the DHS area - they have installed the automated passport scanning machines - similiar to those used at YVR so that should speed that up part of the process for those heading to Alaska this season.

The new area in Hall C is a holding - pre-boarding area - this has been used in the past -but there wasn't the direct access down to the cruise level.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thank you for the information.

B

I haven't been in the property for a few years. but go by it 4 to 6 times a year and it all remains pretty much the same .... maybe the landscaping is a little more mature in the neighbourhood. Accent is a very well run family owned company who offer a good product at a reasonable price. Your fiends will likely need to book a cruise package to get the shuttle to Canada Place

Thank you. We did that 2 yr ago and our experience was great. Just was hoping all was the same!

Thank you. We did that 2 yr ago and our experience was great. Just was hoping all was the same!

We prefer the Richmond location for the Accent Inn. Located on the edge hotel area. More choices in restaurants close by.

We found the Burnaby location in an industrial area. The hotel borders on Two busy streets.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

I have a hurricane question. I have sailed on the Atlantic during hurricane season and have been on cruises just skirting around them as well as tropical storms. There are many places to divert a cruiseship during the season and I think a reason for some of the Canada ports now included in cruises. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening during Pacific storms from cruises leaving from Vancouver. Thank you. (I did post a question in the hurricane section and haven't had any replies)

We prefer the Richmond location for the Accent Inn. Located on the edge hotel area. More choices in restaurants close by.

We found the Burnaby location in an industrial area. The hotel borders on Two busy streets.

Thank you. I know Burnaby and the Airport location offer the stay/cruise/park option and we had a great experience 2 yr ago. Does the Richmond location offer the same? The parking is the part of most importance and of course the included shuttles.

I have a hurricane question. I have sailed on the Atlantic during hurricane season and have been on cruises just skirting around them as well as tropical storms. There are many places to divert a cruiseship during the season and I think a reason for some of the Canada ports now included in cruises. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this happening during Pacific storms from cruises leaving from Vancouver. Thank you. (I did post a question in the hurricane section and haven't had any replies)

Vancouver and the north western Pacific coastal region is pretty much hurricane free. I can only remember in my 70 years of living in Vancouver and area that we ever experienced hurricane force winds and while they do some damage to trees these are usually the tail end of a hurricane and normally occur very early in the spring or late fall. If you are sailing an Alaska itinerary out of Vancouver it is sailed mainly in sheltered waters and you are exposed to the open waters of the Pacific on for only a few hours crossing Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance.

We did a Vancouver return to Hawaii inOct 2014. Smooth sailing until we head back to Vancouver and had to go off course from a storm. nothing too choppy. It was a good cruise there and back.

We did a Vancouver return to Hawaii inOct 2014. Smooth sailing until we head back to Vancouver and had to go off course from a storm. nothing too choppy. It was a good cruise there and back.

Thank you. We have done a few Canada NE cruises. We were in 25 foot seas and TS Nicole, while no port change probably should have been! We were fine but the Grand Princess suffered quite a bit of water/flooding damage. And then a Bermuda cruise in 2012 on the Explorer of the Seas and we were in the NCL Star accident where they broke free of there moorings and hit our docked ship! That one is on utube still I think.

I was just thinking since there really isn't much else out there for the Hawaii cruise, what if any are options! Thank you again.

Vancouver and the north western Pacific coastal region is pretty much hurricane free. I can only remember in my 70 years of living in Vancouver and area that we ever experienced hurricane force winds and while they do some damage to trees these are usually the tail end of a hurricane and normally occur very early in the spring or late fall. If you are sailing an Alaska itinerary out of Vancouver it is sailed mainly in sheltered waters and you are exposed to the open waters of the Pacific on for only a few hours crossing Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance.

Yes, we did the Alaska and the smoothest waters ever, especially in 2013! We didn't even feel any movement in the 14 days.

This is the Vancouver/Hawaii, we are thinking about smack in the middle of hurricane season. That's why I wondered. We have experienced hurricane/TS 2 times in the Atlantic during Sept/Oct. The Canada NE cruise actually was the path of the quick moving TS Nicole in Oct 2004! That one did hit Halifax the night before we docked there at 100km winds! Anyway, we were just wondering! Thank you for your help!

Yes, we did the Alaska and the smoothest waters ever, especially in 2013! We didn't even feel any movement in the 14 days.

This is the Vancouver/Hawaii, we are thinking about smack in the middle of hurricane season. That's why I wondered. We have experienced hurricane/TS 2 times in the Atlantic during Sept/Oct. The Canada NE cruise actually was the path of the quick moving TS Nicole in Oct 2004! That one did hit Halifax the night before we docked there at 100km winds! Anyway, we were just wondering! Thank you for your help!

Well Hawaii is a different cat. Yes, you could run into storms in the Pacific, hurricanes I am not sure of. However, it's a big ocean and the captain never wants to endanger his passengers, crew or ship and will stear miles off course to avoid bad storms and heavy seas. In this day of age most weather conditions are forecast and known before the ship leaves port and every effort will be made to avoid them.

Thank you. I know Burnaby and the Airport location offer the stay/cruise/park option and we had a great experience 2 yr ago. Does the Richmond location offer the same? The parking is the part of most importance and of course the included shuttles.

Both the Burnaby and Richmond locations have the same packages. The Burnaby now has tendency to supply rooms to people from out of town that have relatives in Burnaby General.

I know of only one year where winds affected the cruise industry. HAL actually held two ships overnight because of Hurricane force winds. These where the last ships in Vancouver that year. These ships had to use the inside passage between Prince Rupert and Northern Vancouver Island.

I know of only one year where winds affected the cruise industry. HAL actually held two ships overnight because of Hurricane force winds. These where the last ships in Vancouver that year. These ships had to use the inside passage between Prince Rupert and Northern Vancouver Island.

From the September 30th' 2013 edition of the Vancouver Sun

"And passengers on the Holland America cruise ship MS Westerdam remained stuck in port in Vancouver when high winds and heavy seas forced the vessel to delay departure to Oregon, but a second cruise ship, the MS Statendam, was able to begin its journey to San Francisco overnight."

From the September 30th' 2013 edition of the Vancouver Sun

"And passengers on the Holland America cruise ship MS Westerdam remained stuck in port in Vancouver when high winds and heavy seas forced the vessel to delay departure to Oregon, but a second cruise ship, the MS Statendam, was able to begin its journey to San Francisco overnight."

Both had left port by 6 AM.

My first cruise out of Vancouver in Sept 2011 we encountered close to hurricane force winds. We were able to leave port as we were heading south but the storm did cause us to miss Astoria. It was a doozy of a ride!!!

Does anyone know of a car rental company close to Canada Place Pier that offers one way rentals? Interested in picking up car and driving down to Seattle after a cruise.

Check the rates for cross border rentals. Many times during cruise season there aren't car for rent. I just tried to book both Hertz and Budget . Neither has cars for my date (Sept).

Does anyone know of a car rental company close to Canada Place Pier that offers one way rentals? Interested in picking up car and driving down to Seattle after a cruise.

All of large rental companies are within about 6 blocks of Canada Place and virtually all will shuttle you or pay for a cab ride.....however, you will have to canvas them with your date as drop charges and one way availability does vary.

Edited by Putterdude

The closer to the rental date, the better luck I have had with transborder one-way rentals. Three weeks ago I had an Alamo fullsize from YVR to SEA for $22 plus tax from the airport, and Avis wanted $220 as a walk-up at the terminal. (first ship of the season, Alamo wasn't staffed yet). For next week I have a $40 Alamo reserved at the pier.

The advantages of using Alamo or National at Canada Place cannot be overstated. It is, by far, the single fastest, most hassle-free experience I have ever had with picking up a car at it near a cruise terminal. The agents have all been quite friendly and the cars in good shape.