TOO formal?

Frecklezchick

Since this is our first cruise, I'm not sure if there can be such a thing as too formal.

I'm planning on bringing a dress I wore as a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding... Floor length, strapless, deep blue with a gathering across the front which is held on the side with a cz 'pin'. there are a few layers of tulle or whatever underneath.

Is this too much/too formal? (hopefully the pic from the website will show up....)

color_8567_6590.jpg

That dress is gorgeous!!

i dont think there is a Too Formal ... though i have to admit, i didnt see a lot of 'gowns' at our seating.

if you go into the Fashion Forum.. there is a very long thread where dress images are posted... many beautiful gowns in there.

It's a lovely dress. I see you are going on Celebrity Millenium. You'll be fine.

While normally I believe there's no such thing as "too formal", there is also an exception to every rule. If you were going on a 3-4 nighter, I was going to tell you that you might feel overdressed.

My dd also worried last year about having a gown that was way too formal. It was actually one she used for a pageant - worn one time and cost over $400. I told her she needed to get some use out of it and it was perfect!

I agree - you can never be too formal! I love looking at all of the beautiful gowns (and wishing I were young again with those figures!).

The only gown that would be "too formal" might be one with a very long train or one worn with an ermine cape and a tiara. Another "too formal" choice might be a really full-skirted ball gown. Ball gowns are difficult because they are a challenge to pack and take up precious closet space on a ship. That said, I have seen ball gowns on a cruises. It really is hard to be "too formal."

What a beautiful dress - you're going to look great on formal night and will stand out in the sea of black with that bright blue colour. Is your DH wearing a tux? Your pictures are going to be gorgeous!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that there's no such thing as "too formal."

DD wore a past bridesmaid dress on this past cruise. Same color as in the pic, but it was a cocktail length, too, which made it perfect for her (she was 21 at the time).

She also has a full-length red satin dress that I want her to take. Since we're driving this year, hauling it around isn't such an issue, as it needs it's own garment bag.

For me, the question is packing space. If you're flying, with many of the airlines charging additional for bags, packing formal gowns may not be practical. If you're driving, as I am this year, I'm going to pack heavy (again) and tip those porters well! :D

Archived