Hyatt Place vs Grande

salami

Is the Grande a walkable safe distance to get to restaurants etc. in the evening? Thank you! That is really why we were looking at Embassy Suites (too expensive), then saw special deal on Hyatt Place. Does the HP have a free shuttle to port?

The Grande is walkable to several restaurants on 17th street. Don't know if they have a shuttle service - when they were Amerisuites they did. The Grande has a much better pool area than the Hyatt Place.

Ron

For your needs the Hyatt Place would be you best bet. Footsteps from the Publix Supermarket, Total Wine and More and dozens of restaurants to suit any taste. The Grande is ok but it pales in comparison to the conveniant location of the Hyatt Place.

For your needs the Hyatt Place would be you best bet. Footsteps from the Publix Supermarket, Total Wine and More and dozens of restaurants to suit any taste. The Grande is ok but it pales in comparison to the conveniant location of the Hyatt Place.

I agree. The Grand is nicer but The Hyatt Place near 17th Street is in a much better location for lots of shopping and dining. Love that Publix next door! They have their own sommelier!

Are you talking about the Hyatt Place on 10th? I got a better rate at the Grande, is it really that far away from restaurants? We will be there 2 nights pre-cruise.

Solara, yes, the actual street address is on 10th but the main thoroughfare and what most of the shopping and dining is on is 17th Street. It is maybe a half block off 17th behind the Embassy Suites.

Hyatt Place by any other name is still an Amerisuites. BobK/Orlando

Maybe in Mickey land but down here they're a whole differant animal. True they're all formerly Amerisuites, they've been completely gutted and remodeled they don't even remotely look like what Amerisuites was on the inside. The Hyatt Place brand was created to compete with Marriott Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn. Amerisuites was never in the same league as those two, they were always competing with the Sofitel, Holiday Inn Express and ESA. Come down and visit us one day and check ours out you'll see a huge differance between the two. ;)

We stayed there before and after our cruise in November and I am heading back there on Friday. The beds the most comfortable I have ever slept in!!! The rooms are lovely and the staff very helpful. Yes, the pool leaves a lot to be desired but for an overnight cruise stay Hyatt Place is great.

Cheers, Denise

Great so Hyatt Place it is, now want a good dinner, reasonably priced to walk to after a long flight from the UK and a hopefully not too hairy drive from Mia airport to the hotel! I have looked at the list but would love to hear from you out there for recommendations!

Salami,

Just talked to HP yesterday regarding their shuttle. They have a "large bus" that seats 24. They run the shuttle to FLL, the port, Las Olas Boulevard and the Convention Center. They are a "call as you need us" shuttle, according to the person I spoke with on the phone.

Hope this helps! We'll be there on May 10 for one night!

• 2 weeks later...
After a long flight nothing better then a good steak. Next door to the HP is Outback Steakhouse.

http://www.outback.com/

Oh, Bequia!!! Here I've been reading your great wisdom and advice, and then you go and recommend a chain restaurant!!! Is that the best you can recommend in the area? Say it ain't so!!!

Great so Hyatt Place it is, now want a good dinner, reasonably priced to walk to after a long flight from the UK and a hopefully not too hairy drive from Mia airport to the hotel!

Oh, Bequia!!! Here I've been reading your great wisdom and advice, and then you go and recommend a chain restaurant!!! Is that the best you can recommend in the area? Say it ain't so!!!

The recommendation is for the poster 'salami' whose going to be cooped up in an airplane for hours, then customs, then a long cab ride to the Hyatt Place. After 14+ hours just to get to my town (not to mention the jet lag) my thought was to keep it simple for the poster, hence walk next door, a hundred feet, to the OB. So for them, yes that's a good bet. :rolleyes:

Now for someone whose traveling, say from Philly, whose only going to be traveling for merely 3-4 hours, who will be totally wide awake and refreshed by the time they arrive I'd recommend either Canyon or Cafe Martorano. ;)

Bequia

Yes, I would agree we will be dog tired! Have booked SAS to drive us from MIA to hotel (hope that is more civilised than the gentleman we had three years ago).Maybe as we will be up early we will find a good american breakfast within walking distance or may be save ourselves and our $ for the cruise buffet lunch!!Bequia you are great!:)

I'm not sure how or why anybody would recommend Hyatt Place over the Grande. The grounds of the Grande are lovely and I think the location is wonderful. It's only a couple of short blocks to Publix (easy walking distance), practically across the street from Eckerds, and the best part is it's on the water taxi route. You can see the cruise ships in the morning from the hotel. The OP is going to be there for two nights and I would think being on the water would be a huge advantage. Taking the water taxi downtown to Las Olas is a wonderful way to spend an evening. And the pool area is just beautiful at the Ft. Lauderdale Grande.

We made a choice between the Ft. Lauderdale Grande and the Hyatt Pier 66 and in that case I think Hyatt is better, but not when comparing Hyatt Place and Ft. Lauderdale Grande.

If your arriving late at night, departing early in the morning and want easy accessibility to a supermarket and restaurants the the Hyatt Place fits the bill purely for the conveniance factor. The rooms in the Hyatt Place and the Grande are comparable (actually the HP rooms are larger).

If your going to be spending a whole day or two in the hotel before your cruise then I concur with you and choose the Grande over the HP, and definately the Hyatt Pier 66 over the Grande. ;)

If your arriving late at night, departing early in the morning and want easy accessibility to a supermarket and restaurants the the Hyatt Place fits the bill purely for the conveniance factor. The rooms in the Hyatt Place and the Grande are comparable (actually the HP rooms are larger).

If your going to be spending a whole day or two in the hotel before your cruise then I concur with you and choose the Grande over the HP, and definately the Hyatt Pier 66 over the Grande. ;)

My bad...I thought the OP said they were staying two nights. I agree convenience is the way to go in their case. I guess it was Solara who said they were staying two nights. I got Salami and Solara mixed up!!!

Jo-Ann

Has anyone stayed at the Grande ?

I looked at the pictures and the chairs look VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.

Anyone have any info on this ?

Thanks

Giz

Solara, keep checking the "special rates" at Hyatt Pier 66. We booked it a couple of weeks ago for two nights (April 4-6) and I was surprised to get a deluxe tower room for $169/night. We could have gotten a standard garden room for $159/night. I think this is very reasonable considering it's spring break for a lot of schools.

After a long flight nothing better then a good steak. Next door to the HP is Outback Steakhouse.

http://www.outback.com/

Or, for an even better steak, you can walk across the street to Bistro Mezzoluna! Fair warning, much more expensive than Outback.

However, it is hard to beat Outback pricewise if you want a good steak and an ice cold beer!

Archived