Solo cruiser here with a question

martinimadam

It depends on the time of year and itinerary, but generally you can book an inside or outside solo cabin for 130-175%. The ones I've booked have been around 140%.

Roz

HAL is one of the better lines in terms of how much the single suppliment is. Depending on your cabin category, you can get one for roughly 140%. Some categories (such as suites) charge 200%, but most insides and outsides should be very affordable. Each HAL brochure has single supplement information on the 'fares' pages that precede the deckplans.

Occasionally ( rarely) HAL does have a sail and waives the single suppliment.

The lowest single sups are in inside/outside cabins. If you want a balcony or suite it may be necessary to pay the dbl. occupancy rate.

It depends on the time of year and itinerary, but generally you can book an inside or outside solo cabin for 130-175%. The ones I've booked have been around 140%.

Roz

Roz, I've never seen an inside go for more than 150%. Perhaps on the GWV :confused: , but not even the long, exotic cruises I take.

Occasionally ( rarely) HAL does have a sail and waives the single suppliment.

Like to see that. It never has happened to me.

On another note, I think Princess charges 200% and it sometimes works out cheaper then HAL.

Ruth, maybe I was looking at outside cabins or it was at or near a holiday. Or maybe I just don't remember correctly. :D In any event, I agree with you, HAL is one of the better lines for singles both in terms of fares and service.

Roz

I'm not sure what the percentage works out to, but for our Alaska/Yukon cruisetour in August '07, my husband and I were paying $2750 pp for a balcony cabin for cruise/tour/airfare/transfers through HAL. Our friend wanted to go and was willing to book the cabin single, it was going to cost him $4400, so I fantically searched for someone to go with us. We split up and my husband roomed with friend, my sister-in-law roomed with me, so we all ended up paying the $2750.

Hope that helps a little.

Nominal Single Supplement rates.

All Inside cabins and Outside cabins without verandah = 150% (i.e, half again as much)

All Outside cabins with verandah = 175%

Suites = 200%

One can usually find sales of various kinds where the ss is cut ... sometimes quite a bit. For instance, on some sailings I've found it as low as 125%. On rarer occasions (and particularly when they're trying to fill a ship and its "the last minute") they'll drop the supplement altogether.

By far, HAL's Single-Supplement rate is superior.

Gebo,

Your travel agent or you should have caught the double port charges. For some reason the reservation system at HAL automatically puts in the charges for 2 people and if the agent at HAL doesn’t catch it you or your travel agent can have it changed. They also automatically put in double transfers as well.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07, Statendam ’02, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 - ’08

appreciate the info. Is there somewhere I can look to find the cheaper supplements? On their web site? For me, the ship is usually the destination, i.e., I rarely care what the itinerary is. So I'm very flexible that way. But, I do care about service and I've heard HAL's service is great!

appreciate the info. Is there somewhere I can look to find the cheaper supplements?

If I were you, I would take Greg's info (quoted below)

Nominal Single Supplement rates.

All Inside cabins and Outside cabins without verandah = 150% (i.e, half again as much)

All Outside cabins with verandah = 175%

Suites = 200%

as the basis of my planning, and then be glad if I got a price that came in lower.

I've done many, many cruises paying the single supplement for an inside cabin, and have found that it comes in at the 150% rate consistently.

You can find the rate of single supplement in

the brochure, which your local TA should have.

You can also download a copy of the brochure

from the HAL website.

You should find supplements of

140% for inside or outside

190% for veranda stateroom

200% for suite.

You best bet for lowest total price is to book a standard inside or a

guarantee. That is class N or NN. HAL ships only have 2 or 3 standard

rooms. All the rest of the staterooms can LARGE staterooms. You

can look up the difference in sq ft in the brochure, but it truly is LARGER.

The I don't want the standard room, so I would never book in N category. Only M -- Large inside or better.

I personal favorite is to book Outside with Fully Obstructed View.

Note -- the Outside Large Staterooms are larger than the Inside Large Stateroom. In particular, the Outsides have a bathtub with shower, and not just a shower. The whole bathroom is therefore bigger. So unless there is a mobility issue with stepping in/out of tub. That is the way to go.

Why the fully obstructed view? Because the obstructed outsides are priced only slightly more than insides, but less than outside views.

So, unless you want the view -- every dollar in room fare difference is really $1.40 because of the supplement. This really is the "sweet spot" for single pricing. You are still at the 140% supplement range, but you have all the amenities and space of the best Outside (non-veranda, non-suite) staterooms.

Enjoy your trip -- Go by ship!

I personal favorite is to book Outside with Fully Obstructed View.

Note -- the Outside Large Staterooms are larger than the Inside Large Stateroom. In particular, the Outsides have a bathtub with shower, and not just a shower. The whole bathroom is therefore bigger. So unless there is a mobility issue with stepping in/out of tub. That is the way to go.

Why the fully obstructed view? Because the obstructed outsides are priced only slightly more than insides, but less than outside views.

So, unless you want the view -- every dollar in room fare difference is really $1.40 because of the supplement. This really is the "sweet spot" for single pricing. You are still at the 140% supplement range, but you have all the amenities and space of the best Outside (non-veranda, non-suite) staterooms.

Enjoy your trip -- Go by ship!

I'll second this. In terms of value, my favorite cabins are the obstructed ones on the S & R ships. Verandahs are nice, but the price difference is too large for a lot of us who travel solo.

I'll second this. In terms of value, my favorite cabins are the obstructed ones on the S & R ships. Verandahs are nice, but the price difference is too large for a lot of us who travel solo.

And I third this ... :D ;)

The obstructed view cabins are a great deal, and very comfortable. Even if there's no veranda, or window with an ocean view, still plenty of natural light in there.

I'd pounce on it at the right price. ;)

I sailed on HAL a few times solo. Mainly I go for an inside or outside cabin. My rates have varied from 130% to 175%.

Frankly HAL and Carnival solo rates are much cheaper than some of the other major cruiselines. One of my supervisors loves RCCL, I'm curious and want to sail on them, but the only way that I pay 200% is for a suite.

But, even with the solo rate, a cruise is alot cheaper than a land vacation.

I love going to Depoe Bay,Or yearly. By the time that I pay for car rental,hotel,gas and just eating one major meal a day. My weekly trip is twice as much as a cruise.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the MAASDAM

10/24/08-11/07/08

I sailed on HAL a few times solo. Mainly I go for an inside or outside cabin. My rates have varied from 130% to 175%.

Frankly HAL and Carnival solo rates are much cheaper than some of the other major cruiselines. One of my supervisors loves RCCL, I'm curious and want to sail on them, but the only way that I pay 200% is for a suite.

I love going to Depoe Bay,Or yearly. By the time that I pay for car rental,hotel,gas and just eating one major meal a day. My weekly trip is twice as much as a cruise.

Happy sailing!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

Happy sailing!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

Really ?? 130%

Interesting ... my supps are 150% ( I think! :confused: :D

I'll use the trusty TI calculus gizmo next time I get a rate quote from HAL. ;)

Really ?? 130%

Interesting ... my supps are only 150% ( I think! :confused: :D

I'll use the trusty TI calculus gizmo next time I get a rate quote from HAL. ;)

On my upcoming sailing, I got very lucky on the rate. HAL was running a sale at the time (outside for inside) and my TA got a great rate! I paid my deposit within a hour (I wasn't at home when she called). The only time that I got a cheaper rate on a cruise was right after 9/11.

On my upcoming sailing, I got very lucky on the rate. HAL was running a sale at the time (outside for inside) and my TA got a great rate! I paid my deposit within a hour (I wasn't at home when she called). The only time that I got a cheaper rate on a cruise was right after 9/11.

That's what they mean by being in the right place, at the right time.

You go girl! :D ;)

(On a ship, that is .... ) :)

Archived