Best "Balcony Time" for Alaska Cruise

njen

We are cruising the inside passage RT Seattle and splurged for a balcony. When is the best time to sit outside and enjoy the scenery? Are there certain points where the scenery is especially beautiful? Should we expect to be out there with jackets and gloves? Thanks!

Definitely for Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We were in jackets and gloves for Glacier Bay - but only briefly with the gloves. It is gorgeous. Remember to get up early for College Fjord - we almost missed it. I believe 6:00!

You should have something to look at most of the time- either mainland or islands- very little open ocean- so no matter the time of day- up to midnight- you will be able to see the shore, the birds, and wildlife in the ocean- there is lots of it. Keep your binoculars handy since there is often wildlife on the beachs. Have a great trip- Ruth

We were out as much as we could be! We were surprised at how few other people were out on their balconies. We each brought our own binoculars (we don't share well--and there is really too much to see to share easily!) Our trip was in September, and while it was lovely and warm much of the time, we did have cold spots, and it was esp. cold while we were in Glacier Bay--we had on all our layers (including hats & gloves) that day. My avatar photo is taken in Glacier Bay, I think (without all the layers one:p ) We had coffee & juice on the balcony, wine & cheese in the afternoon and as long as there was light, we were out there.....We saw bears swimming (close to shore) lots of dolphins, whales, seals, etc.

During the afternoons while cruising the passage, my wife and I wwould stay on the balcony with the cabin door slid open so that we could hear the narration on the TV that was being given by the Park Ranger. A great experience.

Great information. It looks to be a fact that you have to be prepared for anything, weatherwise, so we'll take along light layers to wear. Didn't think of taking gloves, but they are now on our list to pack.

We do plan on staying on our balcony alot, but there is always the fear that we'll miss something on the "other" side if we aren't on one of the open decks topside.

During the afternoons while cruising the passage, my wife and I wwould stay on the balcony with the cabin door slid open so that we could hear the narration on the TV that was being given by the Park Ranger. A great experience.

We turned up the tv, opened the sliding door and did the same thing!

RT out of Seattle on Princess does not go to Glacier Bay or College Fjord--the best balcony viewing opportunities in Alaska. However, set your alarm clock to be up very early the day you go through Tracy Arm...some of the best scenery is at the entrance...also, where I have seen whales both times. I would recommend bringing a scarf, hat, and gloves--it allows you the opportunity to be out on your balcony at any point. There is so much beautiful scenery that you may find you want to be out a lot!!! Enjoy your cruise!

I would also recommend Stephens Passage as you approach, Juneau and the Lynn Canal as you arrive and depart Skagway, but depending on your itinerary you may be in the Lynn Canal early in the AM and after dark in the PM. The waters around Ketchikan are also very pretty.

We did the Inside Passage r/t from Seattle and had a balcony on the starboard side. We spent LOTS of time on the balcony watching dolphins and other wildlife, as well as the beautiful scenery. Ports were nice too.

We went in Sept., but it was very warm and dry so we would be out on the balcony in early morning (got great sunrise photos), afternoon naps, and then watching the stars at night. Because it was so warm (mid-70's), we kept the balcony door open all day and night! We loved hearing the ocean waves at night and could hear the TV or music from the room during the day. We called the balcony our "Living Room", not only because we spent alot of time there, but because our room was so small and the only place to sit was on the beds. :( (We booked a minisuite for next cruise).

The only time it was cold on the balcony was when we sailed up the Tracy Arm fjord to the Sawyer glacier. It abruptly turned very cold and windy! Needed coat, hat, and gloves. Wow. Then as soon as we left there, it was warm again!

You'll love Alaska!!! :D

Anytime during daylight hours. Alaska is spectacular!! We always leave our drapes & slider open...one night at about 2 or 3 am I awoke and saw the full moon. It was so huge and looked as if it was coming out of the ocean...beautiful!! You will love it!

We did the Inside Passage r/t from Seattle and had a balcony on the starboard side. We spent LOTS of time on the balcony watching dolphins and other wildlife, as well as the beautiful scenery. Ports were nice too.

We went in Sept., but it was very warm and dry so we would be out on the balcony in early morning (got great sunrise photos), afternoon naps, and then watching the stars at night. Because it was so warm (mid-70's), we kept the balcony door open all day and night! We loved hearing the ocean waves at night and could hear the TV or music from the room during the day. We called the balcony our "Living Room", not only because we spent alot of time there, but because our room was so small and the only place to sit was on the beds. :( (We booked a minisuite for next cruise).

The only time it was cold on the balcony was when we sailed up the Tracy Arm fjord to the Sawyer glacier. It abruptly turned very cold and windy! Needed coat, hat, and gloves. Wow. Then as soon as we left there, it was warm again!

You'll love Alaska!!! :D

Glad to hear of your experience of having a cabin on the starboard side. We picked ours for the reason that the itinerary was in a counterclockwise path and it made sense to be on the starboard side.

We have added gloves to our packing list even though we are late August because of the time in some of the glacier bays.

Archived