We're Hungry!!

cruisedawgg

Hey fellow cc members! The family will be visiting this port during the day. What restaurant would you recommend for authentic Puerto Rican (or Spanish) food for lunch?

My DH is Puerto Rican, so we ONLY go to authentic restaurants. El Jibarito is OUTSTANDING! We go there every time we cruise to San Juan.

Here is their website: AWESOME FOOD!

http://www.eljibaritopr.com/

Yeah, we like El Jibarito for real PR food, and it is inexpensive. The place is small, so lots of people around you, but it is air conditioned.

Great Arroz con Habicheulas!

Here is a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=116969536791656461166.00000111c2647d9ad5cbd&ll=18.467194,-66.113276&spn=0.010319,0.01796&z=16&iwloc=000448a435ec22d971c08

A lot of the food sounds American. Which dinners have you had there?

It is definitely NOT American, that's for sure. We have had everything from the chicken, pork, beef, rice, beans, plaintains, fish, flan, etc. Can't totally remember everything we've had. But I know for sure it's authentic Puerto Rican food, no doubt.

Last time we were at El Jibarito, after I asked about a certain dish (a soup I had never tasted before), they gave me a sample as well as of some other foods.

As we were waiting for our check, a group of about 8-10 tourists walked in and were trying to decipher the menu. I told them to try "pasteles" and that they should ask for a "taste". Well the waitress heard me so she also offered to bring one to the table for them to sample. That's a smart way to do business!

P.S. Did not stay long enough to see if they liked the "pastel" :-(

Thanks in advance for all the help. It sounds like El Jibarito is getting recommendations from several people which is a good sign. Does El Jibarito have good Mofongo? I'd like to try what's considered the best while I'm there. Thanks again.

MOFONGO is a dish made by frying green plantains slices until fork tender. Then they get "mashed" with some garlic and seasoned. Also, some people add bits of crispy pork rind. This is served, typically in a "pilon" or wooden mortar with different toppings, such as shrimp or lobster in a tomato based savory sauce or with a bowl of consome and fried pork chunks.

Enjoy!

Any good restaurants near Holiday Inn-Express Condado? Family of 4[/quote Just go out the front door turn right and walk to the main street. Make a right past alll the designer shops. At the Y a couple good mexican restaurants to the right and if you go left good seafood ($$$) and a few small restaurants down by Walgreens. Short walk to all of them;)

Archived