Carnival & RCC rebating fuel surcharges

Associated Press

Cruise Passengers to Get Fuel Refund

By RASHA MADKOUR 03.10.08, 9:49 PM ET

[/url]

spacer_white.gifspacer_white.gifMIAMI -

One of the world's top cruise operators has agreed to reimburse passengers for fuel surcharges that were not adequately disclosed, the Florida attorney general announced Monday.

The settlement with Royal Caribbean Cruises (nyse: RCL - news - people ) Ltd. affects 300,000 bookings - the number of customers involved was not immediately available - and will return $21 million to people nationwide who made trip deposits as of Nov. 15.

"There's gonna be a lot of happy cruisers," said Sandi Copes, spokeswoman for Attorney General Bill McCollum.

Royal Caribbean and Carnival Corp. (nyse: CCL - news - people ), another industry leader, announced in November they would start billing passengers to offset rising fuel prices - $5 per person, per day - for voyages beginning Feb.1.

Attorney General Bill McCollum received more than 300 complaints about the fuel surcharge, which other cruise operators also added, and launched an investigation into whether customers were made aware of the new fee when they made their bookings.

The settlement involves three Royal Caribbean brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

In a statement released late Monday, McCollum praised the company for being proactive and taking steps in the best interest of its customers.

"This resolution will serve as a model for the rest of the cruise line industry and I expect the other companies to take this example and follow suit," McCollum said.

Miami-based Royal Caribbean will directly contact customers eligible for the reimbursement, Copes said. Those who have not yet sailed will receive their refund as an on-board credit; those who have sailed will receive the money back. The cruise line also agreed to clearly disclose the charges in advertisements.

The settlement amends a 1997 agreement that cruise lines were not to put extra charges on their bills unless they were for taxes or government fees. The companies now may add surcharges as long as those costs are properly disclosed to customers, Copes said.

Royal Caribbean spokesman Michael Sheehan said the company concluded that "taking this action would be the best thing to do."

The agreement will not affect Royal Caribbean's revenue projections, Sheehan said. The possibility of refunds was considered when the company provided guidance in late January, he said.

(This version CORRECTS that Carnival Corp. is not involved in the settlement.)

So I am really confused now. Is Carnival part of this refund or not?????:confused:

I wonder if I will get a refund? I sailed twice with Carnival, Jan. 29, 2007 and Jan. 12, 2008.

You didn't pay a fuel surcharge last year... and I thought they didn't start this year until February (but I could be wrong)?? You would only get a refund if you actually paid a fuel surcharge....

here is the letter I received from Carnival

I] Carnival.

The Fun Ships

November 19, 2007

Dear Carnival Guest:

We have received feedback from some guests conceming the infomrntion we sent to you recently about the fuel supplement, This information included the amount of the fuel supplement for bookings made prior to November 7, 2007 for cruises departing on, or after February 1,2008.

Some guests have requested that we resend this information to them because it was either not received or the transmission of the information was incomplete. Due to the importance of this communication, we have decided to resend this information to you. The amount of the total fuel supplement required for your booking is shown below,

Implementing the fuel supplement was a very difficult decision for us but one that we feel was necessary in today’s challenging economic environment. We want to thank you for your understanding. Most importantly, we are looking forward to providing you wilh a groat cruise experience.

Sincerely,

L&th 9ca?d

Vicki L. Freed, CTC

Senior Vice President - Sales and Guest Services

here is the first of the two e-mails I received

] Carnival.

The Fun Ships

November 9, 2007

Dear Carnival Guest:

We want to inform you that because of rapidly escalating fuel prices. Carnival Corporation & plc’s six NorLh American brands - Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line Holland America Line, Princess Cmises, and The Yachts of Seabourn - have implemented a fuel supplement of $5 per person per day.

The fuel supplement, which applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom, not to exceed $70 per person per voyage, is effective on all bookings for voyages departing on, or after February 1,200%,

Thc fucI supplement is neccssitatcd by significant rises in fuel prices which have dramatically increased Carnival Corporation & plc’s operating costs. In ihct. over the past three years, the price the company pays for fuel has increased by 140 percent. with a 50 percent increase occurring in just the last seven months.

Until now, the company has been absorbing this significant increase in fuel costs, Unfortunately, we cannot continue to shoulder this huge cost burden and now lind it necessary to implement a supplement to partially olTset a portion of soaring fuel costs, The implementation of the fuel supplement beginning February 1, 2008 for our North American brands will result in consumers paying approximately one-third of our year-over-year fuel cost rncreases over the first sixth months of the I3scal year,

For reference, your booking number and the total amount of the thel supplement is listed below, This amount will be required to be paid as part of the final payment for your cruise. If you have already paid in full, we will require that an additional payment is made to cover the fuel supplement amount, Your booking is currently outside of the period where cancellation fees apply. Please refer to our standard cancellation terms available at

www, carnival ,comlcms/cancel, a spx or in our brochure to determine when penalties for cancellation of your booking would apply.

Implementing this fuel supplement was a difficult decision but one that we feel was necessary in today’s challenging economic environment. We thank you for your understanding,

More importantly, we want to thank you for choosing Carnival for your vacation. We will do everything possible to provide you with a great cruise experience.

Sincerely’,

L6z1 Ckeed_

Vicki L. Freed, CTC

Senior Vice President — Salcs and Guest Services

Associated Press

So I am really confused now. Is Carnival part of this refund or not?????:confused:

I saw last night that the news showed BOTH Carnival and RCL and some updated their news release to only show RCL as if they had never said Carnival. So, my guess is they released the information in error.

Then this last line saying Carnival Corp was NOT involved in the settlement.

Id say No, no refunds from Carnival at this time.

I called about another issue and while I was on the phone with them I asked about the refund of the fuel supplement. According to her, Carnival hasn't agreed to it yet.......I'm hoping they do soon since it will make a $240 difference to us!

Spoke with my CCL Rep today (3/11) and she said that this will not go towards CCL cruises. I guess the way RCCL did it was not the way it was supposed to be done, but CCL did it right:rolleyes: . I guess we will just have to wait and see!

I guess we'll just wait and see. We booked in February '07, paid it off in August of '07 and had the extra $70 tacked on in November. They wouldn't issue our tickets until we paid the additional $70.

So, we sail in three weeks. We're already getting a $150 OBC - $100 as part of our family/friends sailing and $25 each because we lost the port of Costa Maya and it was not replaced with another port. I guess if we get on board and see an OBC of $220 instead of $150, we'll know we got the fuel rebate.

Associated Press

[/url]

spacer_white.gifspacer_white.gifMIAMI -

One of the world's top cruise operators has agreed to reimburse passengers for fuel surcharges that were not adequately disclosed, the Florida attorney general announced Monday.

The settlement with Royal Caribbean Cruises (nyse: RCL - news - people ) Ltd. affects 300,000 bookings - the number of customers involved was not immediately available - and will return $21 million to people nationwide who made trip deposits as of Nov. 15.

"There's gonna be a lot of happy cruisers," said Sandi Copes, spokeswoman for Attorney General Bill McCollum.

Royal Caribbean and Carnival Corp. (nyse: CCL - news - people ), another industry leader, announced in November they would start billing passengers to offset rising fuel prices - $5 per person, per day - for voyages beginning Feb.1.

Attorney General Bill McCollum received more than 300 complaints about the fuel surcharge, which other cruise operators also added, and launched an investigation into whether customers were made aware of the new fee when they made their bookings.

The settlement involves three Royal Caribbean brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

In a statement released late Monday, McCollum praised the company for being proactive and taking steps in the best interest of its customers.

"This resolution will serve as a model for the rest of the cruise line industry and I expect the other companies to take this example and follow suit," McCollum said.

Miami-based Royal Caribbean will directly contact customers eligible for the reimbursement, Copes said. Those who have not yet sailed will receive their refund as an on-board credit; those who have sailed will receive the money back. The cruise line also agreed to clearly disclose the charges in advertisements.

The settlement amends a 1997 agreement that cruise lines were not to put extra charges on their bills unless they were for taxes or government fees. The companies now may add surcharges as long as those costs are properly disclosed to customers, Copes said.

Royal Caribbean spokesman Michael Sheehan said the company concluded that "taking this action would be the best thing to do."

The agreement will not affect Royal Caribbean's revenue projections, Sheehan said. The possibility of refunds was considered when the company provided guidance in late January, he said.

It doesn't look like Carnival is on board with the refunds as of yet. I'm hoping they decide quickly since I leave in 4 days. I just checked their Press Release page and there is no mention of it there. While they are mentioned in articles, it is only stating they are surcharging their customers.

Per this morning's news release, Bill McCollum expects other cruise lines to follow RCI's lead:

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/4B0142561763C5A1852574090044205D

The difference with what Carnival did as compared to RCI, is that their passenger contract already had the language re: fuel surcharge. However, the AG's action in this case amends the 1997 decision to allow them to include a fuel surcharge BUT it has to be included in the advertised / disclosed rate and added at booking not afterward. So it seems to me that Carnival will have to refund the retroactive fees too.

AND IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

For all of you who booked before the fuel charge was added, Carnival is taking complaints at 1-800-929-6400...tell them also that you want Carnival to change their position, as Royal Caribbean has done!

The representive listened to my complaint, put me on hold and went to customer service. When she came back, she told me that they have been instructed to say that, "no decision has been made on Carnival's part - but that they are still in talks".

Guess I'll get on board in three weeks and "hope" for an additional $70 OBC.

The representive listened to my complaint, put me on hold and went to customer service. When she came back, she told me that they have been instructed to say that, "no decision has been made on Carnival's part - but that they are still in talks".

I leave in 5 weeks. I had this cruise booked for last year and had to cancel for injury (had insurance:D ) At that time we had over $200.00 in OBC for price reduction. This year...nothing yet. So $70.00 would be nice. As other have said they get it back anyway one way or another.

The person I got transferred me to Resolutions who told me there is no list of people complaining they are compiling and they are not taking names and refused to take down my complaint. Same story, no news from Carnival, that carnival has not agreed to rescind the fuel surcharge. I asked her if she saw that the news released last night included Carnival in error, she said no, she had not been made aware of it. She pretty much sounded clueless to me. duuh on Carnival. No list of who wants to lodge a complaint, they listen and go on their merry way. I also mentioned I was aware some folks had gotten OBC in certain cases where the TA didnt notify them for some time etc and she said no one is getting their fuel surcharge back (not true).

I guess they have to keep repeating that, but you would think they would be taking names and numbers if someone has a complaint or keeping a list?

The person I got transferred me to Resolutions who told me there is no list of people complaining they are compiling and they are not taking names and refused to take down my complaint. Same story, no news from Carnival, that carnival has not agreed to rescind the fuel surcharge. I asked her if she saw that the news released last night included Carnival in error, she said no, she had not been made aware of it. She pretty much sounded clueless to me. duuh on Carnival. No list of who wants to lodge a complaint, they listen and go on their merry way. I also mentioned I was aware some folks had gotten OBC in certain cases where the TA didnt notify them for some time etc and she said no one is getting their fuel surcharge back (not true).

I guess they have to keep repeating that, but you would think they would be taking names and numbers if someone has a complaint or keeping a list?

She did ask for our booking number and name.

Don't know if it will make any difference.

Archived