Carnival & RCC rebating fuel surcharges

For all of you who booked before the fuel charge was added, Carnival is taking complaints at 1-800-929-6400...tell them also that you want Carnival to change their position, as Royal Caribbean has done!

I think everyone who had a cruise booked prior to the fuel announcement should call and maybe then they would get a list going on paper instead of pretending no one is calling and no one is getting money back for it.

Numbers count.

She did ask for our booking number and name.

Don't know if it will make any difference.

Yep, the first rep took my bookings numbers and then transferred me to Ms. Clueless. Who didnt ask for them, I guess the first telephone rep gave them to her.

Yep, the first rep took my bookings numbers and then transferred me to Ms. Clueless. Who didnt ask for them, I guess the first telephone rep gave them to her.

I wasn't transferred. I was put on hold and the original rep came back to me with the information received. I did tell her that the 800 number was posted on Cruise Critic and that they would probably be bombarded with phone calls today.

She was very nice and basically told me that if I get on board in 3 weeks and have a larger OBC, I'll know it went through.

I called that number as was told to call reservations at 1-800-327-9501. They told me that only Canadians where exempt from the charge. I asked why it mattered where I was from I still had booked before the decision was made to add the fuel surcharge.

I called that number as was told to call reservations at 1-800-327-9501. They told me that only Canadians where exempt from the charge. I asked why it mattered where I was from I still had booked before the decision was made to add the fuel surcharge.

HAHAHAHA. It probably won't go very far, but it was a good :poke: in the eye

OK, I called the 1-800 number listed above, that lady told me to call the same number only with a 5 digit extension. #70024

That lady I spoke with did not ask my name or booking number but said they are keeping track of the number of calls that are coming in, that they are still in discussions with the AG office and a decision will be made soon. I will email too.

Spoke with my CCL Rep today (3/11) and she said that this will not go towards CCL cruises. I guess the way RCCL did it was not the way it was supposed to be done, but CCL did it right:rolleyes: . I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Actually the way Carnival did it was more egregious since they applied it to all sailings after February 1st, even those which were fully paid for before they announced the surcharge. RCI applied the surcharge only to those bookings which were not paid in full at the time of the announcement. Now that RCI has agreed to refund those surcharges, it seems inevitable that Carnival will have to follow suit. If they resist, I suspect that the Florida AG will use the RCI precedent to force them to agree, and I can't imagine that Carnival would care to incur the public wrath of its loyal passengers by acting contrary to public opinion.

We called and went up two steps above the person who answered the call. The answer was the same. That Carnival is meeting with McCollum today and when the meeting is over they will have a decision. Hope it goes our way. Cindy

O.K. I booked and paid in full in 12/07. When I booked on the web site it said $5 a day would be added for the fuel charge. My question is, if carnival does give refunds will I get one for our Oct 08 cruise?:confused:

No, no one who booked AFTER the fuel surcharge was announced would get a refund. You were advised of it before you booked.

We called and went up two steps above the person who answered the call. The answer was the same. That Carnival is meeting with McCollum today and when the meeting is over they will have a decision. Hope it goes our way. Cindy

Thanks for this information. I have not read that Carnival was going to do this as of yet. We all figure that they will almost have to follow suit. Which will give me back $70 on the Pride and RCCL will be giving me $60 for our 3 day cruise in 2009 for 4 people. I feel lucky today. I am so glad I book early.

Just some new info posting on the threads for this issue...just got off the phone w/my TA (who is located in Miami) and she said they are expecting some kind of announcement or press release from Carnival TODAY about this fuel surcharge and she expects that Carnival will follow in the footsteps of RCCL and either issue a refund or OBC, depending when you are cruising...of course this only applies to bookings made prior to the announcement of the fuel surcharge!!:)

sweet, we had ours paid for last summer, the part that sucked about all this was pay up or cancel. and in the letter they even said you are out side the penalty period if you would like to cancel.

was this a strong arm or what for the people that had already planned a family vacation and paid for? here is the part in the letter that sucked and drove it home. Pay up

For reference, your booking number and the total amount of the the supplement is listed below, This amount will be required to be paid as part of the final payment for your cruise. If you have already paid in full, we will require that an additional payment is made to cover the fuel supplement amount, Your booking is currently outside of the period where cancellation fees apply. Please refer to our standard cancellation terms available at

www, carnival

Archived