Carnival & RCC rebating fuel surcharges

was this a strong arm or what for the people that had already planned a family vacation and paid for? here is the part in the letter that sucked and drove it home. Pay up

For reference, your booking number and the total amount of the the supplement is listed below, This amount will be required to be paid as part of the final payment for your cruise. If you have already paid in full, we will require that an additional payment is made to cover the fuel supplement amount, Your booking is currently outside of the period where cancellation fees apply. Please refer to our standard cancellation terms available at

www, carnival

I had already paid $1400 for non-refundable airfare when they announced the surcharge. It's not like I had a whole lot of choice and they pretty much know that nobody is going to cancel a cruise over $80. They had all of the bullets. Also, if anybody ever believes that Carnival would ever lower a cruise price if oil went down, I got some swamp land in Florida to sell you (probably near Carnival headquarters). I am surprised they don't or can't buy hedges on oil increases.

My PVP advised me that they're working out the final details of the settlement and, hopefully, we'll all know more tomorrow or later today.

This was from my PVP at 11am today.

Regarding then fuel supplement:

"we are in discussions with the Attorney General's office for the state of Florida but have not reached a settlement at this time.”

Jason

Carnival has not agreed to anything...

Not sure why the OP says Carnival is rebating fuel charges.

Because the original missive on MSNBC had both names - Carnival and RCC. They later retracted Carnival from the statement.

We sail in less than 3 weeks, I would assume that CCL would give us an OBC, if they refund the surcharge. My questions would be, my mom is going with us, I purchased her cabin for her as a gift. Do you think that CCL would give her the OBC? I don't really care if she gets the OBC, I just wondered.

Thanks

I had already paid $1400 for non-refundable airfare when they announced the surcharge. It's not like I had a whole lot of choice and they pretty much know that nobody is going to cancel a cruise over $80. They had all of the bullets. Also, if anybody ever believes that Carnival would ever lower a cruise price if oil went down, I got some swamp land in Florida to sell you (probably near Carnival headquarters). I am surprised they don't or can't buy hedges on oil increases.

My PVP advised me that they're working out the final details of the settlement and, hopefully, we'll all know more tomorrow or later today.

When reading the old threads from when this announcement about a fuel surcharge first came out, there were people that cancelled because of it. I would be kicking myself right now, if I was one of those people that were shouting, "It's the principle" and it turns out that Carnival is going to following RCL.:(

Carnival has not agreed to anything...

Not sure why the OP says Carnival is rebating fuel charges.

There were some other links which they just wiped out the original news and replaced it with news on just RCL, same link, changed what it said. tricky dicky.

Later people were clicking on the link and wondering the same thing you are wondering about. I know I read it said Carnival and RCL originally, seems like someone made a big mistake lol.

When reading the old threads from when this announcement about a fuel surcharge first came out, there were people that cancelled because of it. I would be kicking myself right now, if I was one of those people that were shouting, "It's the principle" and it turns out that Carnival is going to following RCL.:(

Why? It still is the principal. I applaud them. They are also some of the ones that got this whole thing started and complaining to the Attorney general's office. Believe me there were not very many because most could not get out of their airfare and vacation time.

We sail in less than 3 weeks, I would assume that CCL would give us an OBC, if they refund the surcharge. My questions would be, my mom is going with us, I purchased her cabin for her as a gift. Do you think that CCL would give her the OBC? I don't really care if she gets the OBC, I just wondered.

Thanks

is she in a different cabin? I think the deal was $35 a person not to exceed $70 per cabin. So if she is in a different cabin and they issue a credit I bet it will be to that cabin. If she is sharing with you, you should have still paid the $70 and no additional charge for her.

is she in a different cabin? I think the deal was $35 a person not to exceed $70 per cabin. So if she is in a different cabin and they issue a credit I bet it will be to that cabin. If she is sharing with you, you should have still paid the $70 and no additional charge for her.

She is in a different cabin, she is with my MIL. This cruise was a gift to both of them. Its an eight day cruise, so we paid $80 per cabin, I paid for 2 cabins, $160 in surcharge fees

She is in a different cabin, she is with my MIL. This cruise was a gift to both of them. Its an eight day cruise, so we paid $80 per cabin, I paid for 2 cabins, $160 in surcharge fees

if its a credit I bet it will go to their cabin. I bet once Carnival states what they are going to do, you as the payer could ask them to do what ever you wanted.

Per this morning's news release, Bill McCollum expects other cruise lines to follow RCI's lead:

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.nsf/newsreleases/4B0142561763C5A1852574090044205D

The difference with what Carnival did as compared to RCI, is that their passenger contract already had the language re: fuel surcharge. However, the AG's action in this case amends the 1997 decision to allow them to include a fuel surcharge BUT it has to be included in the advertised / disclosed rate and added at booking not afterward. So it seems to me that Carnival will have to refund the retroactive fees too.

AND IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

I may be mistaken but I believe Carnival changed their contract to include that language the day the surcharge was announced.

Bill

I am so confused. I will admit it. I'm not proud. haha.....

I booked a October 2008 cruise in January 2008. We have not paid the final payment. We were however charged a feul supplement charge of $20.00 per person. So will we be credited this charge or have this $40.00 charge taken off our fare? Or do we get nothing because of when we booked it and still have to pay the $40.00 fuel charge even those others are getting either their money back or and on board credit?

help!!!

I was one of the few RCCL cruisers that cancelled and no, I am not kicking myself. I am darn proud I stood up and said "He_l no, you are not going to change my contract after the fact. I am sure anyone that disagrees can refuse their refund or can go to the purser's desk and cancel their OBC.Better yet donate the amount to a charity of your choice.

I am so confused. I will admit it. I'm not proud. haha.....

I booked a October 2008 cruise in January 2008. We have not paid the final payment. We were however charged a feul supplement charge of $20.00 per person. So will we be credited this charge or have this $40.00 charge taken off our fare? Or do we get nothing because of when we booked it and still have to pay the $40.00 fuel charge even those others are getting either their money back or and on board credit?

help!!!

only cruises booked before Nov. 07. anything after that you knew about when booking.

I was one of the few RCCL cruisers that cancelled and no, I am not kicking myself. I am darn proud I stood up and said "He_l no, you are not going to change my contract after the fact. I am sure anyone that disagrees can refuse their refund or can go to the purser's desk and cancel their OBC.Better yet donate the amount to a charity of your choice.

LMAO!!!

FUEL SUPPLEMENTS REVISED

After meetings with the Florida Attorney General's office, Carnival Cruise Lines and Royal Caribbean Cruises, announced that they voluntarily agree to eliminate its fuel supplements on any bookings made prior to the announcement of the fuel supplements in November 2007.

Guests who booked prior to the announcement dates for each line who paid the fuel supplement and have not taken their cruise will receive a refund as an onboard credit.

Guests who booked prior to the announcement dates for each line who paid the fuel supplement and have taken their cruise will receive a refund through the form of payment used to purchase their sailing.

The fuel supplements made after the announcement dates will remain in place on North American sailings. The fuel supplement consists of $5 per person / per day for Royal Caribbean Cruises and Carnival Cruise Line brands. The fuel supplement applies to the 1st and 2nd guests only and does not exceed $70 per person per sailing.

I am releasing this information to you as I am getting it from the xxxxx xxxxxx home office. Further details are coming as to the exact implementation but I wanted to inform everybody as soon as possible as I know the information is out on the cruise message boards, etc.... Other lines may follow but as of right now this is all we've heard about officially. I am extremely pleased that the cruise lines have corrected their policies on the fuel surcharges not affecting existing bookings which I think we all felt was unfair at the time they were implemented.

Due to the amount of time that was involved in adjusting all the bookings originally, I will be adjusting them when payments are due and sending out the corrected confirmations as "payment reminders" approximately 3-4 weeks prior to your payment due dates.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns regarding your bookings. As always, I welcome your feed back and look forward to hearing from you!

All the best to you and your families,

Archived