Guest Talent Show: What kind of acts???

Duck Down

Has anyone participated in the guest talent show?

In addition to singing and/or dancing, have you seen any other kind of acts?

I will be on the Triumph on 10/30/04 and have something in mind....

Do they tape the show for the travelog?

Thanks,

Rob

In addition to singing and/or dancing, have you seen any other kind of acts?
Of the six acts presented last time, four sang and two played musical instruments. *FIVE* were, in the immortal words of Simon Cowell, ghastly.

They specifically prohibit comedy acts, per the announcement in the Capers.

Do they tape the show for the travelog?

Yes.

I've only seen singing, but my SO did sing the blues and play the harmonica the last time on the Victory. Everywhere we went afterwards, we had all sorts of new friends! They play the show on the "Carnival Station" on the TV and tape it for purchase. He purchased it, but it never arrived in the mail. Oh well.....

Mostly singing and playing instruments. The only bad thing was that a guy got up there just to win a 24 ct. plastic ship on a stick and tried to play piano. It was obvious he knew he had no idea what he was doing and actually said that all he wanted was the ship on a stick. I thought that was horrible because there are people who enjoy sharing their talents, I guess at the same time there are people who like sharing their non-talents as well!:)

Our last cruise had singers, and a girl the twirled baton, she was good, but very nervous and dropped it a few times which made her get more nervous. My daughter sang and she was thrilled that the rest of the week, people recognized her on the ship. As stated before, I have seen some pretty sad acts, but they are very good for the most part.

I can't wait to sing in it. I just hope I'm good enough to get picked. I have already started practicing, but can't decide which song to sing yet. Do I do modern country or contemporary Christian? Or maybe an old Olivia Newton John song? Decisions decisions!!:p

several years ago, i took an elvis jumpsuit and did the elvis thing on the jubilee... you audition in the afternoon, if they like you, they bring you back to the 'Big Show'..... it went real well, to say the least! Had a blast and still have it on tape.. that was in 91'..........

I think if you do a song everyone knows you have a better chance of being a hit with the crowd - do some Olivia Newton John from Grease! :)

I won 2nd place in my high school talent show a hundred years ago doing Hopelessly Devoted To You. 1st place went to a little tiny dancer dancing to Mickey. And I did find a Karaoke cd the other day with Grease songs on it Hmmmm! That is a possibility!:)

Just curious, Duck, what do you have in mind?

I was considering doing a reading of a poem/rhyming story that I wrote. It is approx 5 minutes long and related to cruising. Everyone that I have read it to says it is great. I would not classify it as comedy, however a couple of lines will make you laugh.

I did not think of reading it for the Talent show until my wife suggested it. Everyone else is saying it would go over great.

Before anyone asks, I will post it on the board when I return from the cruise.

I will give you one of the lines dealing with embarkation

"We stood on deck sipping our wine, until the land gently faded with time."

What do you think?

Duck, I think it would go over great! People are always ready for a good laugh. Plus, it's different than most of the other stuff so that's always great!

beaming90, Olivia Newton John would be great, but just another suggestion to think of. The stuff that went over the best on our cruise was patriotic. It's amazing how into your song people will get when there are feelings involved as well. One lady sang "God Bless the USA" and the response she got even gave me chills!

On the Conquest this past week..... all of the acts were singers. There was a gentleman from Louisana who sang his own version of Amazing Grace without any background music... He got a standing ovation! There was also a really cute act of Santa Baby. The girl who sang it wore a beautiful red dress... and it was really well put together with gestures, etc. Kind of early for Christmas... but really cute. All of the acts were accompanied by the Big Band Orchestra..... not taped music. So I would suggest bringing sheet music.

It is my understanding that if you sign up your in... you don't have to try out.

By the way.... everyone got a trophy... they don't pick a winner :)

My son and I have 2 24 ct gold plastic ship on the sticks each. and he has a trophy and a medal from an RCCL passenger talent show. He's a dancer and I'm...well he fits me in here and there. It's fun. and the info is correct about no winners or losers. at least on Carnival. everyone gets the same 24 ct gold plastic ship on a stick. on RCCL they do pick first, second and third. and on the Voyager you first had to go before a small audience with judges. The judges picked the first in each category. Each one from there went to the "big" show and performed against each other. On CCL they have a time to gather and if there are more performers than they need then you have to audition or they take the first so many who show up. so make sure you go ahead of the appointed time. Either way I say do it because it's true. for the rest of the cruise you'll be a star!!!

My son and I have 2 24 ct gold plastic ship on the sticks each. and he has a trophy and a medal from an RCCL passenger talent show. He's a dancer and I'm...well he fits me in here and there. It's fun. and the info is correct about no winners or losers. at least on Carnival. everyone gets the same 24 ct gold plastic ship on a stick. on RCCL they do pick first, second and third. and on the Voyager you first had to go before a small audience with judges. The judges picked the first in each category. Each one from there went to the "big" show and performed against each other. On CCL they have a time to gather and if there are more performers than they need then you have to audition or they take the first so many who show up. so make sure you go ahead of the appointed time. Either way I say do it because it's true. for the rest of the cruise you'll be a star!!!

so true, for the rest of the week, EVERYONE called me Elvis... now I know how the poor guy felt!! no privacy, but at least I got hundreds of free drinks!!

On the Glory in June we had 3 singers who were pretty good, one guy played the spoons who was great and then we had my husband and his best friend. Friend sings in a band so he's really good. He sang "My Girl". Before he started he announced he was dedicating this to his sweetie who was in the audience. They brought the house lights up and in runs Michael in a black curly wig, borrowed form our waiter, with a scarf tied around it, my black string bikini top with balloons (flesh colored or course) and a black sarong tied around his shorts.

It didn't help that he has a big black moustache and is about 30 pounds overweight. He danced around while Phil tried to sing. Carnival did not know about this part of the act, we snuck it in. And guess what! They won a ship on a stick for their effort.

Lots of fun,

Linda

Liberty 9/18/05

Glory 6/04

Conquest 6/03

On our Aug. 1st Inspiration cruise my hubby and I and our daughter all particpiated in the talent show. Hubby and I sang a duet and our daughter played an original song on her guitar and sang.

How it was done was that around 4:00 pm on the last day of the cruise (Sat.), you lined up at the excursion window. The first 8 acts are in the show, so line up early. They had to turn away around 7 or 8 acts. Then, we had a rehearsal around 5:15 in the Paris lounge (main showroom) with an orchestra (but you could also use backup track tapes). Then we were the main entertainment that night for the 10:30 show. It was a lot of fun and we all got our ships on a stick. It is not a contest, just a show.

Walking around the ship the rest of the night was so much fun because people would stop us and give us compliments and it was like everyone knew us. Then the next morning, before we got off the ship, we went to the photo place and bought the video tape. They had one that was just the talent show, which was very cool. What a great souvenir!

beaming90, they are correct in that you should bring sheet music if you pick a song other than a very well known, overplayed song. Three of the five acts during our talent show were sung acapella because the band didn't have music for the songs. However, if you do go with "God Bless the USA" or something like that, they should be able to cover it.

Archived