Roatan - Carnival Cruise Passengers Robbed

AuntieBarb

Has anyone heard from pax aboard the Miracle? She appears to be the only recent Carnival ship at Roatan (3/11), but I'm also informed this is a monthly publication so I'm not even sure when it happened. Does anyone know anything about this?

According to Bay Islands Voice http://www.bayislandsvoice.com/:

As two groups of Carnival cruise ship visitors are robbed, Carnival threatens to withdraw their ships from calling on Roatan if nothing is done. In a ZOLITUR emergency meeting, a Lps. 200,000 reward was issued by a group of businessmen, that would lead to capture of the assailants.

Was the April 4 itinerary supposed to include Roatan? It's not shown on the website.

You know, I'm not sure! I'll be looking for some more information and see what I can find out.

If Carnival pulls out of Roatan for that, but doesn't pull out of Jamaica for the group that was robbed at gun and machete-point on a Carnival sponsored excursion, I'll be rethinking my cruise line choice. It's not fair for them to pull out of one port for the same thing and not the other. All passengers deserve equal consideration.

The Miracle does not visit Roatan, but the Legend does. I just checked my "Cruises at a Glance", and it does not mention any special ports for the Miracle on April 4. Don't know when that incident happened, but I don't think it was Miracle's passengers.

The best I can tell is that these incidents happened in January.

It is important to note that a driver was involved in taking tourist to a place where he knew they would get robbed by his friends. So there is a lesson to be learned here too.

I have never been to Roatan and I havent heard much about crime. If the lines are going to pull out of anyplace it should be Jamaica!

Who is building the pier in Roatan?

I thought Carnival had a lot to do with that, and it's no where close to completion.

When I went, it was still in planning stages.

Haven't heard any updates though.

Anyone know something more current?

Hi all;

Just returned from Roatan (Legend 03/02/08) and I can tell you it was the highlight of our cruise. Didn't know what to expect, had heard good and bad from the good folks here - and we were happily surprised. A place of amazing beauty, everyone we talked to on the island was friendly and courteous and helpful. The dolphin encounter at Anthony's Key was fantastic and Madame Le Cruiser loved her Jungle Canopy (zip line) tour. We did see that new construction is going on right on the pier, have to assume it's the beginning of an expansion project, hoping to keep lines coming to Roatan. We did not hear of this robbery incident, but I will say we can't wait to return to this lovely island.

Le Cruiser~ I looked to see if you had contact info because I didn't want to hijack this thread but didn't see any. My ? was whether or not your visit to Anthonys Key Resort was a ship excursion or private? We are stopping there in Oct and wanted to go there. BTW I am a neighbor, DH and I live in W. Fitchburg, small world we live in. Glad to hear you had a nice time in Roatan, I was sort of disappointed when I found out Costa Maya had been swapped for Roatan but have read a lot of good things about that stop. Take care~

Hi all;

Just returned from Roatan (Legend 03/02/08) and I can tell you it was the highlight of our cruise. Didn't know what to expect, had heard good and bad from the good folks here - and we were happily surprised. A place of amazing beauty, everyone we talked to on the island was friendly and courteous and helpful. The dolphin encounter at Anthony's Key was fantastic and Madame Le Cruiser loved her Jungle Canopy (zip line) tour. We did see that new construction is going on right on the pier, have to assume it's the beginning of an expansion project, hoping to keep lines coming to Roatan. We did not hear of this robbery incident, but I will say we can't wait to return to this lovely island.

I have sailed to Roatan 4 times (as recent as Feb. 2008) and I have never had any problems or felt threatened. Now mind you, my husband and I are careful travelers, we don't venture into unknown territory, we don't take unnecessary risks. In Jamaica, for example, we basically don't go anywhere anymore, we get off the ship, walk around the dock for a while and that's it. I too believe Jamaice should be removed from all itineraries. It has become way too dangerous even on cruise line excursions. As far as I am concerned, Roatan is nowhere near as dangerous as Jamaica, at least I have not felt that way yet.

In reading the article the robbery occured on Jan 9. Valor was the ship in port that day.

They also mention that Carnival is building a new 2 dock pier in Dixon Cove and that while ground has been broken for the $50 million project that is scheduled for completion late 2009, no real work has been done.

We've always loved visiting Roatan. Been there 4 or 5 times in the past 5 years. I hope it is an isolated incident. It does sound like the authorities are taking the whole thing seriously.

Charlie

You know, I'm not sure! I'll be looking for some more information and see what I can find out.

If Carnival pulls out of Roatan for that, but doesn't pull out of Jamaica for the group that was robbed at gun and machete-point on a Carnival sponsored excursion, I'll be rethinking my cruise line choice. It's not fair for them to pull out of one port for the same thing and not the other. All passengers deserve equal consideration.

But I think the difference is that Jamaican authorities made an effort to capture the criminals even killing one in a gun fight. If Roatan officials make no effort, then it proves that they do not want to solve their problems. But I wont start another mud slinging match over Jamaica.

But I think the difference is that Jamaican authorities made an effort to capture the criminals even killing one in a gun fight. If Roatan officials make no effort, then it proves that they do not want to solve their problems. But I wont start another mud slinging match over Jamaica.
In the article it states that one person (the cabbie) was arrested and that there is a reward posted for the others.

Charlie (carefully avoiding any mention of Jamaica:rolleyes: )

There were people on a shore excursion on RCL that were robbed in Jamaica. I think we need to look at ports of call instead of cruise lines. Jamaica will not be on my list for a long time after all the trouble that has occurred there in the past few months.

"Andy Bodden, 42, from Oak Ridge was accused of robbing two Carnival tourists and was arrested on January 17. While he was accused of robbing two tourists stopped in a taxi by the Palmetto road on January 9, Bodden recalls being involved in a robbery in late December. According to him the robbery took place on a dirt road in First Bight around 2pm: Bodden claims that he only drove the two middle aged cruise ship passengers and that two masked men armed with knives came out of the bushes while they stopped to take some photos. Bodden says that the two tourists gave up all their valuables, but no struggle ensued and no one was injured. Bodden says he occasionally picks up cruise ship passengers in a four-door sedan rented from a friend."

This is a portion of the article. I wonder if this is any relation to Victor Bodden whose tour everyone raves about???

The article also said that Carnival was threatening to pull out....which is exactly what they threatened to do if Jamaica did not straighten up. Now I can't vouch for the rest of the country, but the port area of Ocho Rios is doing MUCH better.

We were just there last month after saying NEVER AGAIN from years of abuse.

We were pleasantly surprised.

I will keep reading the Roatan port section of these boards...since we are going there in May.

"Andy Bodden, 42, from Oak Ridge was accused of robbing two Carnival tourists and was arrested on January 17. While he was accused of robbing two tourists stopped in a taxi by the Palmetto road on January 9, Bodden recalls being involved in a robbery in late December. According to him the robbery took place on a dirt road in First Bight around 2pm: Bodden claims that he only drove the two middle aged cruise ship passengers and that two masked men armed with knives came out of the bushes while they stopped to take some photos. Bodden says that the two tourists gave up all their valuables, but no struggle ensued and no one was injured. Bodden says he occasionally picks up cruise ship passengers in a four-door sedan rented from a friend."

This is a portion of the article. I wonder if this is any relation to Victor Bodden whose tour everyone raves about???

The article also said that Carnival was threatening to pull out....which is exactly what they threatened to do if Jamaica did not straighten up. Now I can't vouch for the rest of the country, but the port area of Ocho Rios is doing MUCH better.

We were just there last month after saying NEVER AGAIN from years of abuse.

We were pleasantly surprised.

I will keep reading the Roatan port section of these boards...since we are going there in May.

Huge number of Boddens on Roatan... all related.

We too loved Roatan and are anxious to return. It does concern me though if excursion buses aren't assured of safe passage.

I wouldn't automatically connect the mention of Bodden to Victor's tours. A friend recently returned from there and had an amazing tour with Victor.

In reading the article the robbery occured on Jan 9. Valor was the ship in port that day.

They also mention that Carnival is building a new 2 dock pier in Dixon Cove and that while ground has been broken for the $50 million project that is scheduled for completion late 2009, no real work has been done.

Charlie

If Carnival is threatening to pull the plug on such a huge project that would undoubtedly continue to bring mass income to the island - then of course the officials are going to take it seriously.

Heck, when I went to Roatan, the island didn't even have electric that day. It's still an up and coming area, and profits from tourism will bring a lot of love to the island.

They can't afford to not take it seriously.

Charlie, the latest notation in the article indicates "two groups" and the rumor that reached the boards Thursday mentioned 2 excursion buses. I don't read it as pertaining to the Jan. 9th incident. That article refers to several robberies, so I'm still hoping for some validation and wrote to Bay Islands Voice for clarification.

Charlie, the latest notation in the article indicates "two groups" and the rumor that reached the boards Thursday mentioned 2 excursion buses. I don't read it as pertaining to the Jan. 9th incident. That article refers to several robberies, so I'm still hoping for some validation and wrote to Bay Islands Voice for clarification.

Imagine that! I just received a response, which at least confirms it's an updated publication (March):

Hi Barb,

It was a taxi and a hiker group. The story is on our website and in March issue.

Thomas

I have a bitter ex wife that lives on Roatan, so a cabby is the least of my troubles!!!!

Now seriously, Roatan is like any other 3rd world place. There are always those that are looking for a quick sucker. If you travel the island, watch yourself, but don't be afraid. You are just a visitor, so they are going to want more of what that rich American has than to harm you. Just stay with a group, or tour guide. The west end is laid back and secure. Nobody generally messes with anybody. Coxen Hole (ship docking area) is very busy, and about the only danger would be a pick pocket if you are careless.

So just go, be CAREFUL, but have fun.

I was in Roatan in Jan. and found this to be a wonderful little island and was my favourite port on this trip and I am surprised that it is not a regular stop for more ships. I wouldn't worry to much about this incident, things like this happen everywhere.

Very true. Roatan did put a reward out, if I read correctly. So I wonder if that will count as "making an effort" in some way or that will not be "good enough".

I won't comment on the Jamaica issue either. I've never been there personally, so I can't comment in fairness.

Archived