Roatan - Carnival Cruise Passengers Robbed

AuntieBarb

Was at Roatan once and thought it was OK. Was looking forward to going again next month but now I don't know what to think. Willl we be safe if there are 4-8 of us in a group?

We didn't feel the least threatened in Roatan and plan on going back. However, we also didn't stray from the beaten path either. I think it's safe to say you should always watch your back no matter where you go. Get into an isolated situation and you're bait.

The best I can tell is that these incidents happened in January.

It is important to note that a driver was involved in taking tourist to a place where he knew they would get robbed by his friends. So there is a lesson to be learned here too.

I have never been to Roatan and I havent heard much about crime. If the lines are going to pull out of anyplace it should be Jamaica!

I agree about Jamaica. Last year a group of tourists from a cruise ship were robbed on a tour bus in Costa Rica but cruise ships did not pull out. this story does appear to be the one related to the Jan incident. Yesterday someone said it was an NCL ship, but that seems not to be the case.

Hopefully, eventually we will find out more about this.

Nita

I dont know if i would feel safe going to Roatan if someone were robbed once several months ago.

I am from the United States. No one has ever been robbed in the United States.

:rolleyes:

As a criminal defense attorney in Virginia . . . I can tell you for a fact that no one has ever been robbed in Virginia . . . at least according to my clients. The money, jewelry, credit cards and all other goodies where lost, dropped or given to them willingly. The gun, knife or whatever . . . was just for "fun." So yes, I'm from Virginia and I completely agree that no one has ever been robbed in Virginia . . . . :eek:

I was in Ocho Rio two years ago and will be going to Roatan for the first time next month. I loved Ocho Rio and know I'll love Roatan. As a single woman, I don't go to places I wouldn't go to in the United States (alleys, dark streets, local bars and anywhere trouble could raise it's ugly head). No where is completely safe . . . even in Virginia . . . :p

I would like to have someone come up with a port where a crime was never committed....LOL

It's a horrible thing to happen but it is not limited to one port.

Every port and every city and every place has crime.

And tourists will always be targets.

:cool:

Charlie, the latest notation in the article indicates "two groups" and the rumor that reached the boards Thursday mentioned 2 excursion buses. I don't read it as pertaining to the Jan. 9th incident. That article refers to several robberies, so I'm still hoping for some validation and wrote to Bay Islands Voice for clarification.
I reread the article and it looks like one cruise connection (the cabbie named Bodden) and another where hikers were robbed.

BTW as I understand, Bodden in Roatan is like Smith and Jones in the US.

Charlie

As a criminal defense attorney in Virginia . . . I can tell you for a fact that no one has ever been robbed in Virginia . . . at least according to my clients. The money, jewelry, credit cards and all other goodies where lost, dropped or given to them willingly. The gun, knife or whatever . . . was just for "fun." So yes, I'm from Virginia and I completely agree that no one has ever been robbed in Virginia . . . . :eek:

I agree VA is for Lovers, but DW doesn't see it that way. She is the health administrator at Powhattan and she thinks maybe one or two might really be guilty.:eek:

No where is completely safe . . . even in Virginia . . . :p

I am Shocked!:rolleyes: :p

I just booked another cruise, and one of the reasons I booked it, was that it went to Ocho Rios! :) What a beautiful country!

Wife and I were married there in 2004, while sailing on the Carnival Triumph! The people there were fantastic, and we visited small villages, as well as shopping in town! :D

We also visited Limon, Costa Rica shortly after some travelers were 'mugged' there! We were apprehensive about taking an excursion there, but damned if it wasn't the highlite of our cruise! :p

Have we all forgotten that 'mugging' and robberies happen EVERY day, in most EVERY city in the USA??!! :cool:

Takemeaway;

Howdy MA neighbor!!! I'll adjust my profile so you can get my email, if you like. To answer your question, everything we've booked has been through Carnival. I've wanted to try some of the private company but Madame Le Cruiser won't have it. She likes the security of knowing that if something happens on an excursion and we're delayed, the ship will wait for us. Any other questions, feel free to email me.

Ironically...Roatan was my favorite port, I was just there last week. We DID think about the possibility of being robbed or worse, but we live in Atlanta so it wasn't much different from being at home. :( (sad but true)

Been to Roatan several times and never felt unsafe. Will continue to go to Roatan and enjoy the island. It has much to offer, and while this incident occurred, it was without injury and appears to be a "deal" of the driver and the outlaws. There are singular crazies anywhere, to include the local mall.

Jamaica is another story for us. Been there many times, but between the drug "plants" (so you give them all the $$ you have on threat you will miss the ship sailing and get tossed in jail, the armed robberies that have occurred (even with SHIP SPONSORED excursions) and the pushy/demanding nature of the locals trying to make a sail, we still cruise the itinerary, but enjoy the day sitting on the ship and reading/swimming/enjoying the privacy.

Unless and until the $$ impacts are felt in Jamacia (and any other port with these types of issues) I don't seem much hope for improvement.

As a 50+ yr old woman, I have been offered drugs/sex/braids/trinkets/shells/for the last time trying to enjoy some quiet time on the beaches of Jamaica.

Hi, just got back yesterday from Miracle. We were diverted to Roatan, Honduras after a strike in Costa Rica made docking there impossible. We had a great day in Roatan, but I did hear some buzz about a robbery. It didn't happen to any of our dinner mates or other aquaintances from the ship, so I don't have any other info, sorry!

You know, I'm not sure! I'll be looking for some more information and see what I can find out.

If Carnival pulls out of Roatan for that, but doesn't pull out of Jamaica for the group that was robbed at gun and machete-point on a Carnival sponsored excursion, I'll be rethinking my cruise line choice. It's not fair for them to pull out of one port for the same thing and not the other. All passengers deserve equal consideration.

I agree Jamaica should go

I'm excited to visit Roatan in May, but I am aware of the problems with crime after having noticed that it's mentioned on about every website regarding Roatan tourism I've looked at.

An example from one of these websites:

"Roatan has tourist police specifically to watch for the safety of tourists. Areas with high foot traffic of tourists tend to be safe, even at after dark.

Coxen Hole is not safe for foot traffic after dark. In spite of stepped up police presence, most of the police force is on foot. Violent crime and robberies have been increasing.

• Theft is common on the island, especially with the drug problems that persist.
  • Remote homes have been the sites of home invasions, with armed intruders tying victims and robbing the homes.
  • Vehicles have been stopped at night occasionally in remote areas with road blocks for robberies.
  • Taxi drivers have been killed occasionally.

Many tourists encounter beggars. Some are truly needy; others simply are looking for a handout. This is a poor country. Like any other country, there are people here with drug and alcohol addictions.

Police Phone - Coxen Hole, Roatan 011 504 445-3438

Steps are being taken to address crime on Roatan. Proposals include raising a private police force. The yacht now has a metal detector for passengers leaving Roatan, which should reduce the number of criminals leaving and taking their weapons with them via the yacht, but Roatan is within fairly easy reach of the mainland by small water craft.

Most owners of expensive homes that are isolated from other homes hire guards to watch the property at night while they are out of the country or have other people stay in their homes. Guards are hired for about $10 per night.

Certain sections of highway on the Honduran mainland are dangerous because of highway robbers. On Roatan, some highway robberies have taken place. They are usually in the more isolated, eastern end of the island and take place at night.

A legitimate road stop should have at least 4 uniformed police with rifles. Their uniforms are military style camoflauge. The police use orange traffic cones. They check your driver's license, vehicle registration document, and vehicle tags.

A man choose to run a police road stop in June of 2005. The police took some shots at his vehicle. He then returned and killed one of the officers. The killer of the officer was found dead in his car the following morning.

You should not fear legitimate police stops. Respond courteously and have your documents ready.

road_stop.jpgSome Honduran police have beaten people severely. These incidents usually involve natives that argue with the police. Do not ever offer a police officer a bribe.

Highway robbers may obstruct the roadway with a vehicle or a log. If they stop you, give them your money without hesitation. They may kill you if you resist a robbery."

My husband's a big guy...and has been in law enforcement for years...so I'm not too worried. However, since we're renting a car to tour the island ourselves, we most certainly will be using much caution!

:eek:

strange.

We toured from the east end to the west and and no one begged...we saw school kids being let out and none of them looked as if they were in need of begging or afraid of being assaulted.

There were lots of tourists walking around and no one looked afraid. IN FACT...our tour guide met his little sister while we were touring...she was dressed lovely, and handed her a some cash. She had to be about 10-12 years old. Obviously he didn't think she'd be robbed.

There was so much construction going on while we were there that every native Roatan man we saw was working.

The atmosphere there felt very safe (to us anyway).

:confused:

From the above post (jenbo's) I feel like I was on a different island. The picture she has posted is nothing like what we sawwhile there.

Bizarre huh??

Roatan is one of the ports on my cruise on the Glory on August 9th. I'm going to keep and eye on this story. If they change ports of stop going to Roatan, what will the replacement port be? I hope not Grand Cayman!

I have been to Ochos Rios on the Imagination and was in Montego Bay for a weeks vacation at an all-inclusive resort. I have friends that are from Kingston and Ochos Rios. My main problem with Jamaica is the guys asking if you want to buy weed. If you're not from the inner city, some areas can be an eye opener. It's the same as living in any inner city ghetto for the most parts. You have the criminal element mixed in with those who don't care about where they live, mixed in with truly good citizens trying to make their areas better.

I dont know if i would feel safe going to Roatan if someone were robbed once several months ago.

I am from the United States. No one has ever been robbed in the United States.

:rolleyes:

Thank you, certainly puts things in the proper perspective.

The only time I have ever been mugged was in New Orleans on my honeymoon (in 1992).

I've had two wonderful vacations to Jamaica (Ocho Rios and Negril). While we did encounter some "aggressive" salesmen, we never had any other problem.

I agree with those who say you have to be careful and aware wherever you go. Common sense and planning go a long way.

As others have said, we can miss a lot of wonderful experiences because of fear.

Beth;)

I took a tour in Jamaica just after the Carnival tour was robbed at machete point, in fact in the same area. From the Jamaican people I met, yes it was dangerous; TO THE ROBBERS. Those people had worked very hard to get tourism going in their area and they were pissed as He** that somebody was messing it up. If they got there hands and the robbers it wasn't going to be pretty. In fact one of the robbers was killed in a shoot out with police not too much later. As for everyone I've met in Jamaica, they were all very friendly and very good at painlessly seperating me from my money in legal ways:D

Enjoy

Ron

Archived