Best way to get to Horseshoe Beach and Crystal caves from dockyard?

lritch426

Just trying to look at the best way of transportation to and from the Dockyard. I was thinking of doing the water taxi or bus. Thanks!

There is a ferry and or bus. I am not sure what you mean by water taxi. "best way" if you can afford it is by cab...if not its the bus and ferry.

Just trying to look at the best way of transportation to and from the Dockyard. I was thinking of doing the water taxi or bus. Thanks!

By a pass from the transportation authority. Doesn't matter if bus or ferry. Their transportation system is excellent. They utilize all the major roadways. Very inexpensive. Best way to travel and buses come by frequently to all major areas. Don't remember the cost. If you are in Bermuda for a few days, get the three day pass.

Horseshoe Bay--take the #7 bus.

Crystal Cave--if you have time and the schedule permits--I would take the ferry to St. George's and then sightsee a bit in town and then take the bus to Crystal Cave (not sure of #--check the bus schedule).

From Crystal Cave back to ship--take bus to Hamilton, then take ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard.

By using the bus and ferry, you will get the most flexibility. The ferry is faster and very scenic.

Unless of course you are brave and would consider renting a scooter. Only a good idea if you are comfortable with it, can safely drive on the left and follow all rules of the road. In that case--gives you tons of flexibility and you can even ride the ferry with the scooter!!

Hopefully you're docked for more than 1 day, it's an awful lot to do in 1 day. I can't remember the bus # we took for Crystal Caves but I know we got off at the Swizzle Inn and walked around the corner to the entrance.

Horseshoe Bay is closer to the Wharf and maybe about 20-25 min from dockyard.

Great choices and hope you get to do both.

In one day or different days?

For the beach alone, just get on the Horseshoe Bay special bus.

for both, catch the first ferry to St Georges, then get on the any Hamilton bus except number 6. Tell the driver you would like to get off at Crystal Caves. When done, get back on the bus to Hamilton and transfer to the number 7 bus to go to Horseshoe. if time is tight, substitute the bus for a taxi between the caves and the beach. When you're done at the beach, get on the bus to Dockyard. Or taxi. Be sure to greet the bus driver.

Thanks for all the great information! We'll be in Bermuda for 2 days. We're doing the Dolphin Quest the first morning and then the rest of our time is open. I'll probably do the caves that first day and Horseshoe the second. Thanks you so much for helping me to map out my plan of attack...lol! I want to make to most of my short time there without overdoing it.

We took the bus to HorseshoeBeach, walked down the hill to the beach and had a great time. On the way back, we each spent $1 for a very enterprising gentlemen to take us back up the hill! Best dollar I spent while visiting Bermuda!

hiya bdaguy!! we "spoke" last year..when I was planning my trip to your wonderful country!!! :)

loved it so much--coming back in 2009 !! ;) (but his time to dockyard!)--do they sell the 3 day passes there???

also--you mentioned special bus to Horseshoe Bay..is that from there also?

I'd like to know this too. Please?? :p

It used to be about $35 for the cab which you can share and split the cost. They have increased the rates though recently. There is frequent bus service from the Dockyard to Horseshoe. They even put on extra buses that say "Special" on them that don't make any other stops that go direct to Horseshoe from the Dockyard. It takes about 25 minutes. Even the regular bus does not take much longer than the Special or a taxi since it does not make a lot of stops on that end of Bermuda.

Thank you all for your responses to the OP.

I will be in Bermuda for one day from 8 am - 5 pm in July.

Our Royal Caribbean cruise will be docked at Kings Wharf.

We want to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

My party of 14 will take the Special or No. 7 bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach-is this correct if not taking a cab?

It will be easy for us to catch the bus back to the pier, correct?

What exactly do I need to do to make sure we can board the bus easily and efficiently. Do we need dollar bills or change. What tickets do I get from the Transportation Authority? Do I order them beforehand? Do I need them?

Is it more cost effective to do it rather than use change? Do I need to purchase the tickets if only going roundtrip to Horseshoe Bay Beach?

Do you know how much it cost to rent umbrellas and lounge chairs, which are a must for us?

Thank you all very much for your help. I VERY much appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

I think we'd need some help with this transportation, too. We have the same 8a-5p slot in Bermuda, and probably just want to hit the caves. I wouldn't mind collecting some of the local geology in a plastic bag, however, so long as there's time. Minimizing expense while maximizing sightseeing is best here.

And maybe if there's liquor or rum cake around, that'd be good, too... :)

We took the bus to HorseshoeBeach, walked down the hill to the beach and had a great time. On the way back, we each spent $1 for a very enterprising gentlemen to take us back up the hill! Best dollar I spent while visiting Bermuda!

Hey we did the same thing last May.. That guy with the little van gives a fun (albeit) short ride, with info on the Island.. Glad to hear he is still there.. Taking the bus around Bermuda is a good way to see the Island.. and the Water Taxis are fun too..

Thanks for all the great information! We'll be in Bermuda for 2 days. We're doing the Dolphin Quest the first morning and then the rest of our time is open. I'll probably do the caves that first day and Horseshoe the second. Thanks you so much for helping me to map out my plan of attack...lol! I want to make to most of my short time there without overdoing it.

You should also try to make time to see St. George.. Very historic and a nice way to spend a couple of hours,in a little British village.. There is a ferry that leaves the Royal Naval Dockyards, and goes directly to St. George.. Can't recall the price, but it's not too pricey..

It used to be about $35 for the cab which you can share and split the cost. They have increased the rates though recently. There is frequent bus service from the Dockyard to Horseshoe. They even put on extra buses that say "Special" on them that don't make any other stops that go direct to Horseshoe from the Dockyard. It takes about 25 minutes. Even the regular bus does not take much longer than the Special or a taxi since it does not make a lot of stops on that end of Bermuda.

Hi 7 of us (2 children) took a cab from Horseshoe to the Dockyard for $40 (we bargained it) thus only costing each family $20 each. The cabs only held 6 but they let us squish 7. Another family said they only paid 28$. It was worth it as we were concerned that the buses would be too full to get back on time to do our shopping at Dockyard prior to boarding the boat.

Assumin gyou are there for 3 or more days, get a transportation pass which is good for ferry and bus. Take bus to Horseshoe beach. Take ferry and bus to the caves. Be sure to go into Fantasy Caves too. It is there with Crystal Caves, only its better.

Here is a very detailed review of our cruise to Bermuda. We were there for a week. We stopped in Hamilton and St. George. Hints and tips about the ship, island transportation, beaches, caves, forts and sea glass. http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

JS:

With a party of 14, I think you should look into buying a book of bus tickets as tokens will cost $4 each way. I believe from Kings Wharf to Horseshoe Bay is 4 zones, so you should look into buying the 13 zone ticket book.....15 tickets for $30....round trip you would need 2 books. You should be able to purchase them right off the ship. Just ask at the ticket booth.

Go to this website for details on bus tickets, tokens :

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=252&&PageID=468&mode=2&in_hi_userid=2&cached=true

When we were at Kings Wharf last year, they had busses there that went directly to Horseshoe Bay.....just ask and you will be directed to where they stop. They had a "shuttle bus" to take you to the bus, but the line was long so we just walked-it is right across from where the ship docks.

Returning, make sure to ask, but I would leave at least 2 or 3 hours to get back to the ship. You catch the bus at the top of the hill. They did have rentals for chairs and umbrellas, but I don't recall the cost. Do a search for Horseshoe Bay and you should be able to find out that info.

Good luck, you will love Horseshoe Bay.

Archived