Who else is going to miss Sovereign?

I was looking to see if I could find a quick little 3 or 4 day Bahamas cruise for this November and when I looked it showed Monarch doing those sailings after October :( . I know Sovereign is an old timer, but she was our first cruise so she's kind of special to us. Any word on why they retired her? Is it just because she's hitting the 20 year old mark?

She was sold to Pullmantur Cruise lines in Spain. RCI owns Pullmantur also so it was just a switch for them I guess.

Join us on the fairwell cruise, 10/27/08. There is a roll call going so you can go over the check it out! We will be very sad to see her go also:( .

She was sold to Pullmantur Cruise lines in Spain. RCI owns Pullmantur also so it was just a switch for them I guess.

Join us on the fairwell cruise, 10/27/08. There is a roll call going so you can go over the check it out! We will be very sad to see her go also:( .

I was looking to see if I could find a quick little 3 or 4 day Bahamas cruise for this November and when I looked it showed Monarch doing those sailings after October :( . I know Sovereign is an old timer, but she was our first cruise so she's kind of special to us. Any word on why they retired her? Is it just because she's hitting the 20 year old mark?

We have been on Sovereign 4 times and for us it is a quick weekend getaway and we always loved the ship. We live about 2.5 hours from Port Canaveral so it is nice. Have seen it in rough looking times and good. It is just a comfortable ship to us. I am sorry to see it go but hope to enjoy the Monarch for those quick ones.

We have been on Sovereign 4 times and for us it is a quick weekend getaway and we always loved the ship. We live about 2.5 hours from Port Canaveral so it is nice. Have seen it in rough looking times and good. It is just a comfortable ship to us. I am sorry to see it go but hope to enjoy the Monarch for those quick ones.

Ditto your comments!! She will me missed by us Florida residents.

We love her too!! She docks just a few minutes away from where we live and watch her leave the port every Friday and Monday. Due to work and other family commitments we can only do the last weekend cruise...there's a Meet 'N Mingle thread for that but only a few of us are chatting. This will be our fifth and final Sov., she's just a few minutes up the road and we're hoping that the Monarch will be a decent alternative! We were just on her March 14th and had a great time. Ship was clean and we had wonderful service!! I like to think of her sailing the Med. itinerary that Pulmantour has her doing....what a way to retire!!

She is old and it is time to move on. Sad to say seeing that she was just made over a few years ago. My DW was on her last year and even after the make over she still does not hold up to the standards of the newer ships. She will be missed.

We took our 1st cruise on the Sovereign back in 1992, it did 7 nt sailings in the Caribbean and was Royal Caribbeans largest ship. We've sailed additional times since and it always had that comfortable feel to us, like going home.

We'll miss the Sovereign.

You will love the Monarch. She has a great crew! Those of us in LA are very sad to see her go. Also, with SOS leaving that will mean that Monarch will be next.

We will truly miss her. We feel so comfortable cruising the Sovereign. A few (dining) staff have has come to recognize us. We’ve sailed her many times since 2002. We are so familiar with the ship, it will be weird to “learn a new ship” I know the Monarch layout is similar but it just won't be the same.

We have two Fall cruises booked including the last weekend open sailing on Oct 24.

M

We'll miss her:( ......been on her 15 times with two more to go including the very last cruise(along with Torpeedo).............but we'll enjoy the MN too...have been on her twice.........just makes for a nice weekend get away...........

Sovereign was also our first exposure to cruising on a 3 day week-end cruise. :) Really enjoyed her and have lots of great memories! :)

The Sovereign was our first cruise, I have spent so much money because of her. LOL

It is hard to imagine the Sovereign was so big when we were on her, and now she would be a life boat on the genesis class. lol

Happy sailing.

At least you folk on the left coast........will still have a 3 day, 4 day cruise......with the Monarch.

We, on the right coast.........are going to be left with nothing.....for the 3 day, 4 day cruises.

I think those of you that love the Sovereign......will also love the Monarch. She does not have the tilted glass doors in the suites that the Sovereign has...........but she has the same glass sliders....just that they are vertical.

We will be saying good bye to the Monarch this October........and you will be saying "hello" shortly thereafter.

You are lucky to be living on the "Left Coast"!!:) :D :)

Rick

At least you folk on the left coast........will still have a 3 day, 4 day cruise......with the Monarch.

We, on the right coast.........are going to be left with nothing.....for the 3 day, 4 day cruises.

I think those of you that love the Sovereign......will also love the Monarch. She does not have the tilted glass doors in the suites that the Sovereign has...........but she has the same glass sliders....just that they are vertical.

We will be saying good bye to the Monarch this October........and you will be saying "hello" shortly thereafter.

You are lucky to be living on the "Left Coast"!!:) :D :)

Rick

Dont you have that backwards?:confused: ?? We here on the East coast are not the Left Coast.......

I'm the same way: I don't understand 'left' and 'right' coast thing! Port Canaveral IS the right coast, I'm sure! If he's talking about 'left' coast being Tampa, we only have Grandeur during the winter months, as she pulls out for hurricane season.

For alwayshappytocruise: I AM booked on this cruise 27 Oct! See my countdown? I made sure I bought this cruise while sailing on one of my other ones last fall. I'm trying to set up at least two more this summer before that last one!

• 1 month later...

We will miss Sovereign as well....she sure is a beautiful ship!! We took our very first cruise on her just a few years ago and it made us fall in love with the whole cruising experience! I got all teary-eyed when I heard the news. Very sentimental to that cruise ship!

I'm the same way: I don't understand 'left' and 'right' coast thing! Port Canaveral IS the right coast, I'm sure! If he's talking about 'left' coast being Tampa, we only have Grandeur during the winter months, as she pulls out for hurricane season.

For alwayshappytocruise: I AM booked on this cruise 27 Oct! See my countdown? I made sure I bought this cruise while sailing on one of my other ones last fall. I'm trying to set up at least two more this summer before that last one!

We're going to be on the Oct. 27th cruise too as well as the July 28th sailing this summer. My parents were on the second sailing of the Sovereign when it began. It will be a pleasure to be on this final sailing. I remember when Sovereign was the biggest cruise ship in the US. It is called PanMax class because it is the biggest design that would fit in the Panama Canal. We will really miss her. She might be old, but she has more class than a lot of the newer ships. If anyone else was on the original sailing or two, let us know. Maybe we can say goodbye to the old girl together.

Archived