Not sure what will happen

cruisin4fun13

Anyone, My husband was recently turn away at the Canadian boarder for something he did when he was 19 (donuts in a parking lot) he paid a $250.00 fine. Canada says he is not wanted in there country becasue by there laws now the crime of doing donuts is 25 years to life and considered a criminal act. We have to apply for a pardon which after all is said and done we will have to pay $1,500.00. My question is we cruise alot what happens at boarders where they ask you if you have ever been denied access to a country? I have called the boarder patrol and they seem to say dont worry. Has this ever happened so anyone and if so what should I do before We cruise in December.

Thank you for your answers

Gee, I sure wish I could help you out with an answer 29_5_19.gif but I just don't know even how to direct you. I think it is real odd, are you sure that was all there is to the story? Heck just today as a matter of fact my wife and I were in a parking lot eating Krispy Kreme's, we couldn't wait to get home. I would be real upset if I had got a ticket for eating doughnuts in a parking lot, pretty stupid law if you ask me.

There was a poster either on this board or another one who knew something about someone being denied and others as well to Canada. They were using driver's licenses as their photo ID to enter Canada in Vancouver via a flight. The individual's DUI showed up on the computer when his driver's license was entered. Hunt down through these threads several pages - you might find it.

If it isn't here then it would be on the HAL board or the Alaskan.

Gee, I sure wish I could help you out with an answer 29_5_19.gif but I just don't know even how to direct you. I think it is real odd, are you sure that was all there is to the story? Heck just today as a matter of fact my wife and I were in a parking lot eating Krispy Kreme's, we couldn't wait to get home. I would be real upset if I had got a ticket for eating doughnuts in a parking lot, pretty stupid law if you ask me.

Hon are you serious? Maybe you are blonde or possibly joking. The post is referring to doing donuts in the parking lot with their car not eating donuts.

Sorry but what the heck is a "donut in a parking lot"? And do you mean border? not boarder,cause a boarder is a skate boarder etc.

I dont mean any disrespect by my questions just curious as to use of words in USA compared to here in UK,no offense intended.

Liz

a donut in a parking lot is someone going very fast going in circles.

and they do mean the candian border. ( i have never been asked that question on any of my cruises.. I dont even know if I went across a border

But do know that if your honey is in trouble here he may be taken off the ship in handcuffs. Not long ago a lady who was feeding bears marshmellows in Jellystone park was fined 50 bucks... she was taken off her ship for the fine.

Hi Cruising4fun and welcome to the Cruise Critic board, looks that you are on your very first post.

I do not know what is waiting for your husband on the next border crossing but I witnessed something very similar two years ago.

I and 6 other coworkers were on our way to Canada from Michigan ( to conduct some cold weather testing of some special cars, and in the first Canadian city that we landed, we had to go through the immigration officials.

All of us were questioned why we were there and what we were going to be doing and during the meantime our 'records' were being checked. Six of us were 'released' to do what we were sent to do and one was put in a special room to be intervied by another official. We waited for the fellow another hour or so and finally he showed up informing us that he had to pay a fine based on a "traffic ticket" that he got in his youth many years ago in Michigan.

I am not sure what was the offence, but he did say that he was with some other friends on their Harley motorcycles and some of them got arrested and put in jail, had to appear in court and pay some fines. All of that was many years ago and he did cross to Canada and back to USA many times....but this time his records were checked and evidently he is not welcome to Canada. The fine that he had to pay in Canada was either 250 or 350 Canadian dollars and he was allowed to go with the rest of us.

Wes

Gosh all of this talk of not being welcome into Canada because of traffic tickets and what-not is really sad! Talk about your past coming back to haunt you! Perhaps you could sneak into their county and then apply for food stamps and welfare. They might even give you a drivers license and let you vote! It sounds so trivial but then again maybe we should be that strict with our borders!

Ok folks, I can't connect to that link on the previous post so I can't comment on that but I can comment on border issues. I live in Canada about an hour from the border between Windsor and Detroit, MI and cross over regularly. You can be denied access at the border if you have a CONVICTION (regardless of severity) in either country at any time in your past. Guess what folks, it works the same way for Canadians crossing into the US as well. A 55 year old man with a minor pot possession charge from 30 years prior can be denied entry either way. It's called border protection. I know nothing of the 'donut story' but if it resulted in a conviction that shows on his record then that is the explanation. The fine for the speeding ticket may be for a different reason than what was stated. In many (or all-not sure) of the States the police are able to collect speeding fines at the time the charge is laid. That is not true in Canada. If Canadians do not pay their fines the government's recourse is to deny them their license renewal if all other attempts to collect have failed. An American speeding in Canada can just go on home and not pay (our papers report this all the time) BUT if you want to come back and they happen to run your ID thru guess what? You get to pay that big ole fine or go back home. After 9/11 there's very little common sense when it comes to border protection. Isn't that what everyone demanded?

Gosh all of this talk of not being welcome into Canada because of traffic tickets and what-not is really sad! Talk about your past coming back to haunt you! Perhaps you could sneak into their county and then apply for food stamps and welfare. They might even give you a drivers license and let you vote! It sounds so trivial but then again maybe we should be that strict with our borders!
This is highly offensive to me and your statement regarding the strictness of your borders reflects the fact that you know nothing of our country and even less about the restrictions your own border security has in place at entry points. I'm not saying the restrictions are a bad thing just that you should be aware of the facts before you make insulting remarks. I normally never participate in discussions like this because there is no way that I won't be flamed for my knowledge, but this is exactly the type of remark that perpetuates the MYTH that we are somehow less intelligent or less concerned. We travel to the states regularly and when you live near the border like this it just seems like an extention of your own country. People are people - when we read about the men and women in Iraq we feel for them and pray for them as if they were our own and wish (unrealistically) there was a way to bring them home to their families and leave that side of the world to themselves. When 9-11 happened we sat mesmerized and crying in front of the tv too. Our airports accepted every one of your American planes that could not land when the US (rightly) closed their airports. It's when I read posts like this one that I realize just how big the divide is and that is a huge disappointment. Flame away.

goodml - there is no way that the people Of Newfoundland can ever be thanked enough for their incredible hospitality to US'ers diverted there in Sept. 2001. I am lucky enough to work with someone who had been visiting her relatives there, and got to witness it first-hand.

But to the original poster - bring a folder with all your paperwork about the original ticket, and the case pending in Canada. You will probably never need it, but safe is better than sorry. MY DH had a DWI when he was a teen, but it showed up at Canada's border check on one of his business trips. It took about a year of sending in forms, and yes a fine, and waiting for the Canadian government to respond back, but now he is allowed to go to Canada again. As for what to say if you if get asked, YOU do the talking, and say you've never been denied access. (I wouldn't worry about it though - I've never heard that question.) After all, you are on vacation, and you can't remember everything.

goodml - there is no way that the people Of Newfoundland can ever be thanked enough for their incredible hospitality to US'ers diverted there in Sept. 2001. I am lucky enough to work with someone who had been visiting her relatives there, and got to witness it first-hand.

Thanks for the kindness mc. It should be noted though, that while Gander Newfoundland was the most publicized by the US media for their efforts (and that's great -it's a very small place that took in a large number of people at a moment's notice), there were actually many many planes diverted to airports across our entire country at that time and the emergency was handled very well. Again, I thank you for understanding where I'm coming from on this.

Also to the original question, I have crossed this particular border hundreds of times and have NEVER been asked on either side if I've ever been denied access. The rule of thumb is to answer only what's asked and never volunteer more info than what is required. (Kind of like when your 4 year old asks where babies come from.:) )

Goodml................I will not flame you because I really dont like doing that. I was being sarcastic in my post about my own country and how we give all these perks (some, not all I mentioned) to immigrants who are here illegally. It was not a knock on your county but on mine. I have always thought of Canada as an ally and would love to visit there sometime. So now I will be flamed by my own countrymen for being sarcastic! Oh well.

I will apologize then karen because I totally misread the intent of your post. Come on up for a visit anytime - you'll find us very welcoming if you can get past those border guards!! By the way, if it was 25 to life for doing donuts in a parking lot in Canada half of us would probably be in jail now because of our misspent youth. :) I'm off the soapbox now.

Are you joking? You would get 25 years to life for racing in circles round a car park?

Think I will stay this side of the pond from now on.Not that I have a criminal record or anything but wow things are strict over there aren't they.

Is Canada treating the Brits to the fingerprint/photograph session when they visit now also.

Don't you just wonder sometimes who is who's allies. Sorry not meaning to get into a political debate but I am sorry but the OP's posting just doesn't seem believable to me.

Liz

Are you joking? You would get 25 years to life for racing in circles round a car park?

Think I will stay this side of the pond from now on.Not that I have a criminal record or anything but wow things are strict over there aren't they.

Is Canada treating the Brits to the fingerprint/photograph session when they visit now also.

Don't you just wonder sometimes who is who's allies. Sorry not meaning to get into a political debate but I am sorry but the OP's posting just doesn't seem believable to me.

Liz

Um actually, it's the US that's fingerprinting and photographing. Edited - sorry Eliza when I read your post again I think that's what you meant right? I think my sense of humour must be taking a vacation today - normally it's pretty good:)

Suggest you bite the bullet (so to speak) and pay the $1500.00 and get a clean record. I have a friend who is not allowed across the UsS boarder for a similar reason. It is also over 10 yers old. Once he paid what was asked for he was allowed in.

Many people do not realize that something you did as a young adult will remain until you pay the piper and get it cleaned off your record. This can be something as silly as taking a candy bar at a store, donuts in parking lots, a little weed in the school washroom, dui/dwi, all the way up to B&E's. You must have a clean passport/DL to get across boards. You can be denied anywhere for petty youth crimes that you may not think are bad.

BTW this is not covered under most insurance since it was a criminal act that caused the problem.

goodml

Yes sorry I did mean the USA for the fingerprints etc.Not thinking straight brain is going round in circles thinking about the donuts in parking lot......ooops sorry not funny I suppose.But I am curious to know does Canada do this also....the fingerprinting I mean.

Liz

Archived