Do paxs use the pools & hot tubs on???

buckspc

the first Alaska cruise of the year, to be specific (Princess Star) May 4th sailing from Seattle. Is it worth it to bring a bathing costume with you? Are the hot tubs inside or covered? Getting ready to start packing soon and this ? came up. I know the weather will be cool, 50s or maybe low 60s, am I right? Anyone been on the Star to Alaska please advise, thanks Buck

I was on a May 19 cruise. People barely used the pools. Even the inside ones. I really only saw a little girl in the inside one consistently. My MIL used the outside one for therapeutic reasons. Weather was nice for most days, but people still didn't go in much. No idea why (altho it was freezing on some days... you could see the steam whipping up from the pools).

On one of my Alaska cruises (all in May), the few kids in the teens program (about 12 or so) were in the pool for 30 minutes or so. Occasionally have seen a pair of newlyweds in the outdoor hot-tub. But as a rule for the May Alaska cruises, the pools are filled with water but no PAXs.

I've done it a couple of times. I love sitting in the hot tub watching the snow capped mountains glide by. Yes, it can be cool on deck, but once you've been in the hot tubs for awhile, when you get out the shock is not that bad. I'm going to Alaska in September this year on the Dawn Princess and I plan on being in the hot tub at least once!

My kids went swimming when we were docked in Juneau and Skagway in early May, but they are Minnesotan. It was too cold to use the pools even for them when the ship was moving. The hot tubs, on the other hand, were really pleasant (at least until it was time to get out!)

Sissies! :D Here in the Upper Midwest we use outdoor hot tubs in the dead of winter. It is beautiful and peaceful. Plus, you get the extra exercise sprinting from the hot tub back inside. ;)

Bring a bathing suit, and enjoy a new experience.

Since Star has no covered pool you probably wont see too many in the pool, mostly kids.

The hot tubs seem to get some use though. I would bring a swim suit just in case you decide to take a soak with a hot toddy.

We used the pool on our Alaskan cruises and the hot tubs, too. On one sea day, the temperature in early June hit 85 degrees and was sunny. The pools were naturally jammed.

And on the Star, they do have a retractable roof that covers the Calypso pool. It was still a bit chilly near the doors eventhough the clear roof was closed.

We were on the Dawn which doesn't have a covered pool but there were still some hardy souls swimming everyday. My son plays water polo and is used to getting out in our often cool Southern California nights so he swam everyday. I preferred to sit in my cozy fleece pullover sipping on my hot chocolate!

Sissies! :D Here in the Upper Midwest we use outdoor hot tubs in the dead of winter. It is beautiful and peaceful. Plus, you get the extra exercise sprinting from the hot tub back inside. ;)

Bring a bathing suit, and enjoy a new experience.

Totally agree !! The absolute best time to use an outdoor hot tub is when its cold outside. Take your swimsuits and enjoy those hot tubs !

Archived