What time do I need to get to the pool on FOS to get a chair?

Look Around when you arrive - pick one the available loungers and stay there. If all of the available loungers (200+) have something on them but there are only about 25 folks in the pool, then some others have gone to the bar, some folks are getting a Pizza and the other 150 have just put their 'stuff' there to irritate you!

Pick one and take your chances!! :D Put the 'stuff' onto an adjacent lounger and claim the empty one as yours - as long as you are actually there. If questioned, you can be gracious, explain you needed a place to relax and move to another and do the same!! Odds are you will never be challenged!! :)

chairhog.jpg

I guess this guy would say you have to get there before 7am. :eek: This picture was taken by another CC member a year or so ago. I lost the original higher resolution picture or I was thinking of making it into a DON'T BE A CHAIR HOG T-SHIRT. If I was this, I'd be tempted to sneak down when he left and remove all the towels.

I would add (just off the April 6-13th Freedom sail - boat was full) that there always seemed to be a spot for one near a pool, and if you go top deck, there were open seats. This surprised me - but I always seemed to find a place. There were chair hogs - but the deck hands (bright yellow shirts) were actually removing stuff after 30 minutes (I saw them do this - and that's what they told me).

If it's full up where you want to go - just look for the abandoned chairs (easy to spot), and ask a deck hand for a hand :)

I would add (just off the April 6-13th Freedom sail - boat was full) that there always seemed to be a spot for one near a pool, and if you go top deck, there were open seats. This surprised me - but I always seemed to find a place. There were chair hogs - but the deck hands (bright yellow shirts) were actually removing stuff after 30 minutes (I saw them do this - and that's what they told me).

If it's full up where you want to go - just look for the abandoned chairs (easy to spot), and ask a deck hand for a hand :)

Good post, I'll probably spend most of the time in the Solarium, I'll see how that goes.

Rather than get into a heated discussion with a fellow passenger, just simply go up to a crew member and say...I'd like to use a lounge chair but it seems they are all "saved" with towels. They keep an eye on which chairs are being saved...and if someone leaves a chair for more than 20 minutes, they will remove the towel and...there you go. I'm on vacation, I'm not going to go down at the wee hours in the morning to save a chair. And I'm not going not use a chair because people leaving towels on 20 chairs...never to be seen again. But, I'm also not going to get involved with fighting over chairs. I've always done this in the past. The crew...will take care of it for you. When the people come back...say...I don't know...i saw the crew removing the towels and so I sat down :D.

I sailed FOS last week, and I can tell you how it was for me.

There were two "at sea" days for us. The first day, I got to the main pool area at 9:30. By then, all of the loungers that would be in the sun, (there are alot that are not), were taken. I was able to get 3 loungers on the top deck, overlooking the pool area. There were many "saved" chairs, and the deck hands did nothing at all to stop it.

The second sea day, I got to the pool at 8:10 am. My daughter and I were able to get our loungers that day, however, by 8:30-8:45, all of the "sun" loungers on the main deck were taken, or being saved. By about 11:00, there were only single loungers available on the upper deck. I know this because I heard many many people complaining about not being able to get loungers together. I cannot tell you about chairs in the solarium or near the H2O zone, because I was not in that area.

It was a bummer having to get to the pool so early, but it was worth it, we had a great pool day right near all the action! Have Fun!

Good post, I'll probably spend most of the time in the Solarium, I'll see how that goes.

The solarium was better but there are far fewer spots in the sun if that's what you are looking for. We would go to the solarium and just sit on the edge of the pool and enjoy a refreshing beverage. One day we sat there for about 1-1/2 hours and there were two "saved" loungers that were never occupied.

Actually, I once slept by the pool. I was on the Volendam and my DH got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. He came back and told me the bathroom was not working. No way could I go back to sleep. So I got dressed in my comfortable gym clothes and found a nice lounge chair by the pool. I used towels for pillows and blankets. It was an interesting experience, listening to the waves in the pool. I was awoken at about 7 by the crew opening the roof.

So I can definately say that you will have no trouble getting a lounge chair if you sleep by the pool.

I will also add that if you take a cruise on Holland America you may not have a problem with chair hogs since half the cruisers are very nice people who are over 75.

Actually, I once slept by the pool. I was on the Volendam and my DH got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. He came back and told me the bathroom was not working. No way could I go back to sleep. So I got dressed in my comfortable gym clothes and found a nice lounge chair by the pool. I used towels for pillows and blankets. It was an interesting experience, listening to the waves in the pool. I was awoken at about 7 by the crew opening the roof.

So I can definately say that you will have no trouble getting a lounge chair if you sleep by the pool.

I will also add that if you take a cruise on Holland America you may not have a problem with chair hogs since half the cruisers are very nice people who are over 75.

So true that a lot of Holland America cruisers.... Just watch out for the cranky elder lady on the scooter. She actually ran over my foot while shopping on the ship :eek: (No, she did not stop... it was a hit & run)

Are you serious? Awesome. :D

BTW, I'm not the chair hog. I want to know when I can remove others towels if they are not being used? :}
It's pretty obvious whether the chairs are actually being used, or whether they're being hogged. Used chairs have towels unfolded, obviously mussed . . . used chairs have personal belongings such as novels and suntan lotion nearby. Hogged chairs are usually seen in blocks -- 3, 4, 5 chairs all in a row -- with neatly folded towels and nothing else. I don't hesitate to help myself to a hogged chair regardless of the time.
Last November the Solarium chairs were pretty well full during prime time -- you could find a single chair if you weren't fussy about where it was, but a couple chairs together was tough at times. However, I didn't see rampant hogging in the Solarium. It doesn't bother me if people are USING the chairs -- if they got there before me, well, that's my tough luck. Maybe next time I'll get up a little earlier or eat a little faster, but it does bother me for people to selfishly claim a portion of the ship that they aren't using at that moment.

I didn't see that! I hope it becomes a trend.

Let's all make a promise right now to TIP THOSE DECK STAFF WHO ACTUALLY do their jobs and keep chairs free for people who want to use them! I'll be glad to slip them a couple bucks and thank them for their efforts. They have a difficult job: they risk people getting angry with them, and they don't have any real reward for doing the right thing! Let's show our appreciation!

I sailed on FOS last week and the deck patrol was in full force. When my family and I chose our loungers the deck patrol immediately approached us to outline the 'rules', to ensure we knew that if we were gone for 30 mins or more, they would remove our stuff. I like the enforcement, and consistent monitoring because it allows me to come to the pool when I want and not join the chair-hog party just so I can get a seat. Personally, I wouldn't remove someone's stuff but instead get the deck patrol to do it, to avoid any claim of stealing, missing items, etc.

I always find this an interesting topic. To play the game or not to play the game. We went to an AI and if you were not up by 8:00am.. no nice chair for you...so what are you to do? Follow the rules or break them like everyone else. We are travelling with 9 people. We usually head down to the pool when we get up, put down our stuff, grab a quick breakfast and return to our chairs for the day. We usually eat lunch pool side. Is that OK?

How hard is it to get a lounger in the shade near the H2O zone or the main pool on the Freedom class ships? I really don't want to sit in the sun.

We spent almost all of our time at the H20 zone. Same loungers everytime we went there. Sea days we were there about 8:30 - 9 ish. right near the wall seperating the zone and the main pools. Half sun, half shade. Great area. It seemed way less crowded in this area and it was fun to watch the kids play. Unless you can't stand the noise of children.

I did notice the deck hands watching and patroling aswell. I personally removed, one shoe, two shoe and a ball on 3 seperate loungers and moved them to just one lounger after noticing that no one had come back for their missing:rolleyes: stuff after quite some time:) only to help out another couple looking for a spot. I'ts not the first time I have helped out people wanting a lounger and noticing saved chairs and I can tell you it will not be the last:)

What I hate, is people who take more chairs then they actually need. You don't need a chair for kids who are off running around or in the water the whole time. :rolleyes: And I think you shouldn't save chairs for anyone, if you are in a group, everyone should being going to get their own chair.

I agree. I was not planning on having chairs for my kids as they never sit long enough to enjoy them...but we are early risers 7:00 am and our friends are late risers. We would like to sit with them during the day. I would not hold them all day...but it seems with the chair hogging there are not a lot of options. Thoughts.

I agree. I was not planning on having chairs for my kids as they never sit long enough to enjoy them...but we are early risers 7:00 am and our friends are late risers. We would like to sit with them during the day. I would not hold them all day...but it seems with the chair hogging there are not a lot of options. Thoughts.

Unfortunately for us, we only like to sit in the sun for a couple of hours, people who "hold" chairs for other people make it impossible for others to find chairs. However, I realize that when many other people are doing this, you feel like you have no choice. I really think the pool deck workers need to help passengers find "empty" chairs to use.

We were on the Mariner in August. We would go out to the pool after lunch for a couple of hours...we always found a lounger. It seems like it is geting worse according to the latest posts!

Archived