Noordam Dress Code Breakdown

CruiseShelly

Same answer that I just posted on your other thread with the same question:

There are no more "semi-formal" nights - just formal and "smart casual". On a 10 night cruise you should have 2 formal nights.

Even though your documentation may say three formal nights, we only have had two on our Vista 10-dayers.

Well for our 10 day Southern Carribean in March on the Volendam heres what I took. Shorts and t-shirts for day wear on the ship and islands. For non-formal dinners I wore nice cotton slacks and comfortable cotton tops, not t-shirts but cotton, and sandals. For our 3 formal nights I rotated between 2 coctail dresses and dress shoes. I had a way to many shorts for the days though, next time I'll bring less and just wash them out and wear with different tops. I had 4 pairs of slacks that I rotated tops with. I brought socks but only wore 2 pair, the rest of the time I was in sandals. I also brought 2 swim suits and only used 1. I hope this helps a little if not maybe I can answer specific questions. :D Oh theres only formal and resort casual now. No semi-formal. My husband wore polo shirts and slacks on non-formal nights and very nice suits and ties on formal. He brought 3 but 2 would have worked fine.

Thanks. That does help. I was hoping for dressier evenings, but alas, the trend is away from dressing up, even on HAL, I guess.

So if I have enough for 3 formal nights, and then just dress pants and tops for the other nights, that helps my packing for sure.

Can't wait, 2/2/09 can't come soon enough!

Thanks. That does help. I was hoping for dressier evenings, but alas, the trend is away from dressing up, even on HAL, I guess.

So if I have enough for 3 formal nights, and then just dress pants and tops for the other nights, that helps my packing for sure.

Can't wait, 2/2/09 can't come soon enough!

Hey, you can always go crazy on the formal nights with dressing up. On our cruise there was a large # of long beaded evening gowns and tux'es. And on regular, non-formal nights no one says you can't dress dressier if thats what you wish. Its your cruise, your money, do what makes you happy.;) If that means dressing a little more dressy than others on certain nights, go for it. There was a lady on our last formal night, she came in wearing a TIGHT, sleavless, black, leather vest. Leather pants that looked to me that they were painted on, and 4 inch RED PATTON heels. No one cared. So wear what you like. I only noticed because she passed our table. :D

Thanks! But I have to admit I wish there were still Semi-Formal nights! What will I tell the cocktail dresses that get left home?!?!?!?

Bring them. Wear them on a casual night or the night you eat at the Pinnacle Grill.

Most dress very nicely on HAL and you will not feel out of place.

Yes, I bring a dressier dress for eating in the Pinnacle grill and hubby will wear a sportcoat & tie. Even though it's not required being the ship is "casual" those nights, it just makes the Pinnacle a little more special.

But, I'm confused in reading the above posts - are their 2 or 3 formal nights on the Noordam 10 day?

Yes, I bring a dressier dress for eating in the Pinnacle grill and hubby will wear a sportcoat & tie. Even though it's not required being the ship is "casual" those nights, it just makes the Pinnacle a little more special.

But, I'm confused in reading the above posts - are their 2 or 3 formal nights on the Noordam 10 day?

I can't speak for the Noordam. I haven't sailed her. But on our March 22 sailing on the Volendam for 10 days in the Southern Carribean, we had 3 formal nights.

Thanks, everyone. This is a help. This is the 20th anniversary of my college roommate's and my first cruise together. First cruise together was on the old Noordam, and we wanted this 20th year cruise to be special, so we booked the new Noordam! We LOVE the time we spend dressing and drinking champagne together before dinner. It's like old old times.

I'll pack accordingly to their "program", but throw in a couple of extra cocktail dresses just for fun!

Anyone else out there on the 2/2/09 Southern Caribbean on Noordam will be sure to spot us!

On our 10-day Amsterdam sailing in December, our docs stated there would be 3 formal nights ... and, in reality, we had only 2. I believe each Captain has the latitude to adjust the number down. I have never encountered "formal optional" on our 7- and 10-day sailings.

Preparing for 3 formal nights really shouldn't be any more difficult than preparing for 2 ... even for the women folk. Just mix and match. That's what my mother does.

My two Noordam cruises (one 10 days, one 11 days) both had 3 formal nights. Some TREATED one as-if it were optional, but there was nothing that said any of them were "optional." If I'm on a cruise where such is asserted, I'll be opting to dress formal. :)

As for where/when to wear one's informal night garb ... go ahead and bring it and wear it on one or two of the Smart Casual Nights. Dressing up a bit more even on those nights is fun. It ads a touch of festivity and flair to the nominal slacks and polos that one sees so much of on Casual nights (myself included). :)

And finally, what ever you do ... enjoy yourself! Don't worry about the "new" luggage restrictions (whatever those might be), and bring what you need. If it costs you an extra $50 for your air-fare or having bags over 50 pounds (not a new restriction), then so be-it. I would rather go and have a great time and have what I want/need with me than try to be overly-thrifty and not have what I need/want with me aboard the ship.

Preparing for 3 formal nights really shouldn't be any more difficult than preparing for 2 ... even for the women folk. Just mix and match. That's what my mother does.

My two Noordam cruises (one 10 days, one 11 days) both had 3 formal nights. Some TREATED one as-if it were optional, but there was nothing that said any of them were "optional." If I'm on a cruise where such is asserted, I'll be opting to dress formal. :)

As for where/when to wear one's informal night garb ... go ahead and bring it and wear it on one or two of the Smart Casual Nights. Dressing up a bit more even on those nights is fun. It ads a touch of festivity and flair to the nominal slacks and polos that one sees so much of on Casual nights (myself included). :)

And finally, what ever you do ... enjoy yourself! Don't worry about the "new" luggage restrictions (whatever those might be), and bring what you need. If it costs you an extra $50 for your air-fare or having bags over 50 pounds (not a new restriction), then so be-it. I would rather go and have a great time and have what I want/need with me than try to be overly-thrifty and not have what I need/want with me aboard the ship.

AMEN!!! Reverend. :D

Archived