Injured Passenger on Liberty of the Seas

MIAMI -- The Coast Guard flew to the rescue of an injured man on a sailing cruise ship.Officials on Friday received a call of a man who broke his arm in three places while ice skating on the "Liberty of the Seas" ship.A rescue helicopter met the ship 70 miles southwest of Key West, and picked up the injured man.

http://www.nbc6.net/headlinesonly/16008018/detail.html

Hope it's no ones relative on here.

I wonder how long it will take before someone on that ship complaints about the ship being delayed for a couple of hours while this poor guy was air-evac off the ship.

I hope that person that started the petition on that other ship wasn't on this one. :p

I wonder how long it will take before someone on that ship complaints about the ship being delayed for a couple of hours while this poor guy was air-evac off the ship.

I hope that person that started the petition on that other ship wasn't on this one. :p

I was on this ship and the evac didn't impact any travel or activities. Only thing was the captain had to close down the forward section of the ship so the Coast Guard chopper could land. The entire evac lasted maybe 20-30 minutes.

We were on Liberty awhile back and I met 2 people with broken arms from skating! that freaked me out! my kids aren't allowed to skate, I'm too scared :eek: ! I feel bad for him and his family since their trip was ruined.

We were on Liberty awhile back and I met 2 people with broken arms from skating! that freaked me out! my kids aren't allowed to skate, I'm too scared :eek: ! I feel bad for him and his family since their trip was ruined.

Are they never allowed to skate -- or just on the ship? I can't imagine never skating....but, that is just me and I totally respect other people's child rearing ideas.:)

Do you have to sign a waiver or release so you can't sue RCCL if injured while skating?

Oh yes, and you should read the thing - it's great legalese. They could basically deliberately shove you over and still not be responsible :)

too bad about the accident.

There where too many people skating when I was on Freedom last year. They would be better off with only half as many skaters and having more sessions.

I am a veteran skater and I was concerned for my dd who had to avoid people falling all over the place.

Next time we go on a Freedom class ship I doubt we will be skating

I was on the trip, too. As a previous poster stated, there was no interruption to the cruise. I was playing BINGO at the time so didn't see any of the evacuation. That night at the farewell show, they showed a video of the helicopter evacuation. All went very smoothly. The cruise director said it took 2 hours from the time the call was made to get the passenger evacuated. I hope that he and his family are doing OK.

Do you have to sign a waiver or release so you can't sue RCCL if injured while skating?

Hey,

Yeah you have to sign a waiver. I use to ice skate as a child and when I got on the Liberty, I figured cool, I can ice skate...apparently not. I went around once holding onto the side the entire time. As soon as I got to the exit, I jumped off that ice so fast. I couldnt do it. The plastic skates were so hard with no give and I just couldnt ice skate. I had images in my mind that I would get hurt:eek:. It took more time for me to put on and adjust the skates for my comfort level than it did for me to actually ice skate:o!

Oh yes, and you should read the thing - it's great legalese. They could basically deliberately shove you over and still not be responsible :)

Yep. I know I had to for myself and grandson to rock climb and for the roller blading. "Initial here...and here...and here...sign here...and here...and here...pat your head and rub your tummy..."

It's so easy to get hurt skating. When my son was 14, he broke his right arm in 2 places while skating. He's never been on skates since.

But he's missed so much. I broke my right arm as a child while ice skating in our yard - and got back out on the ice the next day with my arm in a cast. A few years later I hurt my left arm skating (not broken that time thankfully) - yep, back out on skates even with the arm in a sling.

And I am waiting for someone to start complaining about how they should have just treated the guy aboard the ship and RCI should reimburse him for the cost of the evacuation..... and give him a free cruise.

I'm going on Adventure in December and was so looking forward to skating. After reading this and thinking what could happen I may pass. I haven't skated for years but always loved it as a kid. At my mid 50 age may not be a good thing. Ice in the drink is as close as I need to come, lol!

I'm from Indiana and have only ice skated a few times and was not good at it. I won't be trying it on a cruise. the first time I broke my arm was when I fell on ice in our driveway. I was 4.

Roller skating also was not something I took to. Odd that I am attracted to roller blading. Haven't done it, tho.

Now when they start having skiing ...

Archived