Just returned from Paradise on the PG

etmanch

I can not believe it is over. What a magical place this was. I walked past a fresh pineapple last night at our local grocery store and I have never smiled so much at the sight of a pineapple before. I am forever changed, that is what the FP islands do to you!!! We had a wonderful time right from the very beginning where we spent 2 nights precruise at the Radisson right down to the very last second of our time spent on the PG. I wanted to say a HUGE THANKS to everyone who helped us plan this very special trip. I can now see why there are repeat travellers to this special place on earth. If I can help answer any questions please let me know. I do have to work today so I may not get a chance to respond till later tonight. Advice I can give right now is that we wish we stayed overnight in LA as we flew Buffalo to Chicago to LA to Tahiti and it was way to much air time for us. Our luggage was checked all the way through and I was shocked to actually see it in Tahiti :D

Sigh, yes it is magical. I'm booked again in December and I also can't wait. Glad you had such a wonderful time!

Good advice about staying over in L.A. At the moment we're not doing that, we're going straight through with a 3 hour connection in LAX. But I've been thinking of deviating since this has worked so well for us in the past.

Question about luggage--what airlines let you check it through? We are flying AA to LAX and since they are partners with ATN we are very much hoping we also can do this. We may have to stick with this itin. since my husband's schedule is tight, and we are staying Christmas in LA afterwards.

My main question is, how was the ship? Is it in good shape, and was the service and food good? There's been a recent report that the ship is a bit "down at the heels".

Wendy, We were on AA in February and they checked the bags through on ATN. You should be OK. I think they check the bags off against the check in at LAX because years ago we were on a tighter connection and when we approached the check counter they were calling our names out and told us they had been looking for us since the bags were on the apron at the airplane.

etmanch, I got bad news for you. You got the disease and are probably doomed as I am to constantly lurk this and other websites that discuss the PG and FP with an ache deep inside. You may end up with a mousepad with a picture of Bora Bora, little paintings of polynesian scenes on your wall by your desk, and a license plate frame that says "I rather be in Tahiti". My wife even fantacizes about winning the Powerball so we could charter the PG for a family vacation.

Maybe electroshock therapy is the answer.

Egret, thanks for the info, although I'm flying from Toronto as well, so want to make sure.

As for the flu, that's for sure. After our first PG cruise in 2000, and then our second one in 2003 I used to fantasize about taking 50 of my favorite buddies who could never afford a cruise like that and chartering her! Wouldn't that be nice?

Sigh, yes it is magical. I'm booked again in December and I also can't wait. Glad you had such a wonderful time!

Good advice about staying over in L.A. At the moment we're not doing that, we're going straight through with a 3 hour connection in LAX. But I've been thinking of deviating since this has worked so well for us in the past.

Question about luggage--what airlines let you check it through? We are flying AA to LAX and since they are partners with ATN we are very much hoping we also can do this. We may have to stick with this itin. since my husband's schedule is tight, and we are staying Christmas in LA afterwards.

My main question is, how was the ship? Is it in good shape, and was the service and food good? There's been a recent report that the ship is a bit "down at the heels".

Hi Wendy,

We flew United on the first leg to LAX and then upon our return from ATN we flew Southwest out of LAX. Our luggage was checked straight through to our final destination both going and coming back and what a pleasure that was not having to worry about it. We did pack lots in our carry on just in case our luggage never made it to Tahiti.

As for the ship's condition I did read the other post and to be honest I did not really notice any problems perhaps because I understood the PG is not a brand new ship so I was not expecting to see perfection.

Our room which was cabin 316 was always kept clean and was very nice inside. All in all I felt the PG was in good shape for it's age and for it's very humid tropical destination.

Ahhh the food, it was excellent and we never had a bad meal. In fact it was so good the last night my DH and I could not eat dinner as we were stuffed to the gills. I was just happy to not have to cook or do dishes for 7 nights so perhaps that helped the food taste better???

The service was outstanding. What a great crew they have on board the PG. They all work so hard so that we can enjoy our stay. The must get sick of having to smile all the time :D

So now that I am back home I am wishing I would have appreciated where I was a heck of a lot more and taken more moments to soak it all in. I guess then I would not have to go back right? My DH is already rolling his eyes at me as I want to start planning our next trip there very soon. I tried to tell him we need more pictures even though we took around 1,000 of them :D

If you have any other questions just let me know as I would be happy to try and answer them for you.

Wendy, We were on AA in February and they checked the bags through on ATN. You should be OK. I think they check the bags off against the check in at LAX because years ago we were on a tighter connection and when we approached the check counter they were calling our names out and told us they had been looking for us since the bags were on the apron at the airplane.

etmanch, I got bad news for you. You got the disease and are probably doomed as I am to constantly lurk this and other websites that discuss the PG and FP with an ache deep inside. You may end up with a mousepad with a picture of Bora Bora, little paintings of polynesian scenes on your wall by your desk, and a license plate frame that says "I rather be in Tahiti". My wife even fantacizes about winning the Powerball so we could charter the PG for a family vacation.

Maybe electroshock therapy is the answer.

Egret, I have such a bad case of the FP flu. Whenever I looked at my monitor today I kept seeing blues and greens ;) I am going to get a collage done up of some of our FP adventures and frame them in to the biggest size possible so I can hang it over our bed and continue my dreams each night.

We too have the flu.... I keep saying that this is the last time we will be going on the PG but then I just happen to find a great deal or some extra holidays. This time the excuse is we havent been to the Marquesas.

If only we had joined ATN's frequent flyer program, we would have had a free flight by now.

Ha! I can SO relate to everyone's sentiments about the PG and the FPs. It's such paradise. And I admit, my screen saver is a picture of a palm tree which extends parallel out over the ocean with the PG as its backdrop. We have tiki gods positioned all around the house. I wear my black pearl rings every time I leave the house. I still have bits of coral trapped in my reef shoes and I am not about to clean them out...

Sigh.

Oh, and we did sign up for ATN frequent flyer accounts, and then adding the bonus miles we received for signing up, we are "almost" there for a free flight. One more paying trip and I think we'll have it. So be sure to sign up, oh PG flu bitten comrades! :)

We too have the flu.... I keep saying that this is the last time we will be going on the PG but then I just happen to find a great deal or some extra holidays. This time the excuse is we havent been to the Marquesas.

That's our excuse too. On our first trip 8 years ago, we said, "we must go to the Marquesas next". But it's never been convenient until the PG started going there more frequently. Can't wait. Must wait. Emdee, you only have to wait until August, we have to wait until December!

This is my wallpaper. Its from my friend's boat and is of the Le Meridien Resort on Bora Bora. His paents own the motu next to it and offer the Lagoonarium excursion. (Not the one on Tahiti.) Obviously, I see it every day.

506052391_BoraBoraBoat.jpg.2e93c3346bd9f9e31d534deb6fe2c037.jpg

That's our excuse too. On our first trip 8 years ago, we said, "we must go to the Marquesas next". But it's never been convenient until the PG started going there more frequently. Can't wait. Must wait. Emdee, you only have to wait until August, we have to wait until December!

Ours TOO. I am SOOOOO glad we get another fix in just a little over two months (and the Marquesas too! WhooHoo!)

Hello all....

I'm not packed and ready to leave for Bora Bora on Monday and the PG the following Sunday. So many of you on this post have been extremely helpful to me on other threads.

I believe that I have this "FP flu" already, in anticipation, and I hope never to get rid of it. It sounds like I'm going to paradise!

Thanks for all of your great advice!

Flu "victim" and happy about it...murphysmum;)

I believe that I have this "FP flu" already, in anticipation, and I hope never to get rid of it. It sounds like I'm going to paradise!;)

The FP flu is very hard to get rid of. :)

Have a nice trip.

Hello all....

I'm not packed and ready to leave for Bora Bora on Monday and the PG the following Sunday. So many of you on this post have been extremely helpful to me on other threads.

I believe that I have this "FP flu" already, in anticipation, and I hope never to get rid of it. It sounds like I'm going to paradise!

Thanks for all of your great advice!

Flu "victim" and happy about it...murphysmum;)

I thought you guys already left, I guess you're leaving May 5th. We're leaving this Saturday. (WE CAN HARDLY WAIT). We've had the flu bug ever since our first cruise May 06. This will be our third cruise to Tahiti & it's totally addicting. Just wait you'll want to go back too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya on the PG!!

Etmanch,

We are booked on the PG 7-5-08 - 10 nights - through FPN. Any advice on arranging shore trips NOT thru Regent -- information about; availability;safety;payment options. Did you change currency and if so where?:)

You should exchange currency at the airport when you arrive, although most islands have ATM's as well. You can also get a certain number of francs on the ship charged to your shipboard account.

If you arrange private tours, ask the provider what currency he accepts, that will help in your calculations.

We've never found the need to book privately, since the PG's prices are pretty comparable. But there are lots of tours available from the dock on the spur of the moment--for those, I would expect that they want francs, but may take any currency.

I wouldn't worry about safety, although if it's water safety you're worried about, take a buoyancy vest if you snorkel, if you're not a strong swimmer, and make sure to choose trips that don't involve currents and lots of deep water.

Craig Steltz the safety on the LSU National Championship team was in a cube near me last summer. He had the aerial picture of Le Meridien and Bora Bora as his screen saver. That resulted in me booking our last trip on the PG in February. That's another danger of the flu.

As far as exchanging money, check with your bank at home. Our account has a special perk where we can exchange money without a fee at the current exchange rates. So I always get some before we travel. Just go online, order it, and it usually arrives in a couple of days at the branch where I bank. They call when it is ready to be picked up.

I took probably $250 in FP francs as we stayed 1 day before and 1 day after. Spent all of it, though probably some places would have taken US $.

Whether you need cash or not depends on where you go and if you want to pay service fees in some shops.

We bought a ukulele from a street vendor recommended by the anthropologist onboard. That was cash only.

Le Marche is a mix of both, but most craft and food vendors are cash. All hotels and most every upscale or tourist restaurant will take credit cards.

ATMs are readily available in Papeete, but are limited on the other islands.

Etmanch,

We are booked on the PG 7-5-08 - 10 nights - through FPN. Any advice on arranging shore trips NOT thru Regent -- information about; availability;safety;payment options. Did you change currency and if so where?:)

10 nights!!! You are in for a real treat!!! The only non-Regent trip we did was the day we rented a car on Moorea. We took the very first tender at 8:30am and walked right over to Eurocar and were on the road by 9am. The other three tours we took through Regent - Jet Boat, Underwater Walk and 4x4 tour which were all really good but Regent just put their prices up April 2008 so things are getting very expensive. I can see why you would want to try to book on your own :eek:

As for currency we changed some at the airport and some on the ship. At the airport my DH went outside to exchange money while I gathered our luggage. He was back before our luggage was on the belt so not a long wait if you do it that way. When I was at the market the last day I asked if they would take USD and some would so that is another option if you run out of Francs. Have a great trip and let us all know what you thought upon your return!

"...but Regent just put their prices up April 2008 so things are getting very expensive"

That's bad news. I"m waiting to see prices listed for my December trip, so we'll seel.

Yes we were really "sticker shocked" when we saw the new prices that's for sure. Hopefully they don't go up any more!!

Archived