sea sickness how often??

ortech

i've been looking thru these threads and i can't seem to find any thing about sea sickness. how bad is it ? do i ned to take meds so i won't get sick? hubby goes fishing alot and i know those are smaller boats, but he feels we'll need to take meds any ways .so please if anyone can let me know as you can see this will be my first cruise, and i think since the is big the motion won't be bad but i spoke to someone who said her hubby got sick..he even fell out of his bad at night lol so now im wondering. im cruising in Jan 2009 out of San Juan. does it go by the weather? boat type? etc thank you

Hi there! You will have a great cruise no matter what! I was really worried before our first cruise about motion sickness but luckily my husband and I seem to be some of the lucky ones who aren't afflicted so keep in mind that you may be just fine. Our last cruise had some pretty good rocking to it as there was a tropical storm that was well away from us but still kicked up some good waves.

You can take motion sickness medications like Bonine or Dramamine with you just in case, or get them from the infirmary or purser's desk if you need them. A lot of cruisers here also swear by ginger tablets. A friend of mine that gets motion sickness also says it helps to get something on your stomach at the first sign of queasiness - even though it may be the last thing you want. She says apple slices and crackers do wonders along with Bonine. But don't worry too much about it. You never know what the seas will bring - your sailing could be very smooth or you could have rough seas. But not everyone gets motion sickness. Be prepared in case you do, but keep in mind that you may well be fine.

Have a great cruise!

i've been looking thru these threads and i can't seem to find any thing about sea sickness. how bad is it ? do i ned to take meds so i won't get sick? hubby goes fishing alot and i know those are smaller boats, but he feels we'll need to take meds any ways .so please if anyone can let me know as you can see this will be my first cruise, and i think since the is big the motion won't be bad but i spoke to someone who said her hubby got sick..he even fell out of his bad at night lol so now im wondering. im cruising in Jan 2009 out of San Juan. does it go by the weather? boat type? etc thank you

My DH and MIL are both prone to seasickness. They start taking Non-drowsy Bonine before they get on the ship (the night before). And now, they have no problems at all. I would also suggest the ginger tablets, since you don't know whether or not you'll be affected and ginger is more natural than Bonine.

thanks so much for the advice, so you think taking ginger tabs better every day in the morning before or after breakfast? i normally don't get sea sick unless im in a stand still and the waves are bad.. i think i'll be fine but again worry wart hubby thinks we should medicate our selfs and can we do cocktails too with ginger?:confused:

I don't know about the cocktails, but I'm very prone to motion sickness, I won't even do the merry-go-round at the fair. On both of our cruises, I started the Bonine the day before and took it at bedtime. I was fine. I know the ship was really rocking a couple of nights and I felt like it could possilbly become a problem, I went outside and felt better. I'm still a little worried about it, so I'll keep with the Bonine and maybe take Ginger too!

I would not take ginger pills on an empty stomach, so take them after breakfast with Bonine at night to help you sleep. I could you both right now though as that FONT you are using is making me sick. LOL!!!!

DS gets motion really bad on land. Just going down a very light windy road. Or a road that changes elevation say over 500ft. He will get sick. But he never

has had a issue on 6 cruises. We still give him Dramamine if the waves get

bad. I think it depends on the person if they will get sick or not.

I have motion sickness myself but tend to agree with everyone on the Bonine. I start taking them a day before we fly and one every day while on the ship and I am fine. They work better than Dramamine I think as they don't seem to make you as drowsy and I drink alcohol while taking them. I have never tried the ginger tabs. We leave in 26 days on the Valor going Eastern and it is always more rough waters than western or southern but hopefully I will be fine.

DH seems a bit more effected then I am by being on the water so he takes one Bonine a few hours before we sail just to get him through getting his sea legs the first night and then he's fine unless something unusual happens. We haven't needed to use it any other time but we do take it with us just in case we should run into some really ruff weather (which happened only once on our first cruise in 95 :eek: ). After reading the recommendations on cc we also take ginger tablets with us now and he did take some in the evening on the 4th night on our last cruise when we ran into a cold front and there was some rocking. I didn't need to take anything.

My feeling is its better to be prepared than not, but unless you know that you are really prone to being sea sick I wouldn't just take it everyday after the first day unless you find that you do need it. You aren't suppose to drink alcohol when taking Bonine but I'm sure people do. Ginger tablets are better to take if your planning on the foo foo drinks :)

Getting sea sick is not fun, but unless you run into some really wild weather not a lot of people do actually have a problem with it now-a-days with the really large ships we sail today. Enjoy your first cruise !!

I had a real fear of cruising as I had a very bad experience as a child on my uncle's little sailboat in San Pedro and Dh I knew got sick on fishing trips.

So we started with Bonin just like people say, one the night before and each night. But after the 3rd night we have never needed it for most cruises.

Usually the worse times, I have found are the quick trip down to the islands and the last night back, but by then we seem to have acclimated and rarely need it. Sailing inter-island/port is never too bad. I was told but someone that the reason the trip home is bad is you are sailing against the current.

I would say take the Bonine and see how you feel... Always start 1 day ahead! And if you stop and then feel anything (dizziness, nausea, headache) make sure you take it immediately and stay up on deck till the feeling passes. That is a good time to walk the jogging track and work off those dinners too. Never watch the waves near the ship, but keep the fresh air in your face and your eyes on the horizon.

I will add here I almost always can find a crew member who needs the left over Bonine. It is surprizing to me how many are sea sick ALOT! If not I usually give it to our waiter on the last night, for any future guests he/she might see queasy or staff friends.

I can honestly say on the last 3 cruises we have not used the Bonine at all.

I think you get over it after awhile....My grandfather who was a merchant marine sailing the capes in the winter used to tell funny stories about sea sickness... and how the new sailors would get on the ship and be green for days, some so bad they would cry for their mommies. Then finally the would just get over it.

Go prepared but do not be surprized if you wonder to yourself Are we moving? The ship is sometimes THAT still.

We started taking ginger the night before our cruise. We felt fine for the first couple of nights and didn't take anything the day we had our first stop at Cozumel. That night, two of us experienced sea sickness. Next time, I will continue to take either ginger or Bonine even if I'm feeling fine. We didn't have any side effects from either one and I would rather prevent feeling sick than try to play catch up and get rid of it. Also, for us, the dining room was at one end of the ship and had a great deal of movement which bothered my daughter. The middle of the ship has less movement, so head there if you start feeling bad. We also felt better laying down.

OP I think you will be ok. You are leaving from San Juan so you will basically be island hopping so to speak. You won't be sailing to fast or too far. Unless of course you come across a storm but in Jan it is highly unlikely. I would bring the meds just in case. Unless you are prone to motion sickness I would not take them just because.......hope that makes sense.

Where can I get Bonine? or is that just the ingrediant? Like is it in the Equate Brand Motion Sickness tablets or is it just called Bonine. I need to go and get some, as I did use the Walmart Brand when DH and I were in Cancun and taking the city bus everywhere. I get car sick and boat sick IF I watch the water up close, but if I look out I am usually fine. I cant ride in the back of a car or go up a windy road unless I am driving also. DH says it is a control issue and if that is the case, I am in pretty good company on this board!!!! anywho, let me know where to buy it I sail on 5/26/08 Elation!!!

he even fell out of his bad at night lol

Oh my! What was he doing in that bed to fall out of it:D

Seriously, I've never seen waves bad enough to knock a grown man out of bed - but then my grown man is a pretty big guy . . . .maybe big enough to knock a small child out of bed if he was laying right on the edge and ready to go anyway.

If you are really, really worried about motion sickness you can always request a patch from your doctor. Works wonders for my hubby, but everyone is different.

We once ran into a man on an elevator on the cruise ship. He had a motion sickness patch behind his ear, motion sickness wrist bands on each arm, and was carrying a bucket of beer. Obviously something was working!

It is all a state of mind, don't think about it.

5 cruises with the family, never even concidered that I would get sick and never have. Never told the kids that there was such a thing as seasickness and they have always been fine.

One of the best things about a cruise is laying in bed at night and being rocked to sleep by the waves.

Archived