Mexican Riveria vs Western Caribbean

I've got a chance to switch my currently booked 6/7/09 Mariner of the Seas Mex. Riv. cruise to the 6/7/09 Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral.

Since we are in GA, we would have to fly 4 of us out to the west coast next June (currently about $450/ticket) vs Driving to Orlando the day before. (Much less!) Money IS an object, but we could swing the flights if we had to.

We have been to the West. Carib several times (GC,Coz,Jam) but I've never been on the Mex Riv. Cruise. However, we are doing a land vacation in Nuevo Vallarta/Puerto Vallarta this summer for a week. So I will get to see one port we would be at on the cruise, we would miss Cabo and Maz.

For those that have done both routes, am I going to miss that much by not going on the Mex. Riv. cruise? I love snorkeling, and I will be doing a snorkle tour while in PV. But I understand snorkeling is much better in the Caribbean?

I've been on the MOS to the West Carib. before, but I've never been on the Freedom class, but was planing it for a couple of years down the road.

Oh, and most important..... The deck 7 corner Afts are still available on the Freedom! Currently have 7388 on the MOS. I've been looking at the Freedom afts and according to Bonnie Voyager, they are identical to the Voyager class. We have 2 teen age boys that would love to try out the Flow Rider!

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jacquelyn :D

Stick to Caribbean.. We've done MR many many times, it doesn't compare to Caribbean waters. If water sports/snorkeling is what interests you, stick to Caribbean... Mazatlan is ok to put it mildly, Cabo nice/ok, my favorite port is PV, but since your going there already, I'd stick to cruise in Carib..

Stick to Caribbean.. We've done MR many many times, it doesn't compare to Caribbean waters. If water sports/snorkeling is what interests you, stick to Caribbean... Mazatlan is ok to put it mildly, Cabo nice/ok, my favorite port is PV, but since your going there already, I'd stick to cruise in Carib..

Ditto

Personally, I'd pick the Mexican Riviera since I'm really bored of the same old Caribbean itineraries and would grab an opportunity to go someplace new. However, it seems that you wouldn't mind revisiting these Caribbean ports, so in your case, Freedom sounds like a better choice since it is less expensive and has the flow rider for your teens.

we have also just decided (based on fares & airfares) to keep our Jan 09 & Jan 2010 carib trips, instead of trading in one of them for a Panama canal full transit--the Panama canal cruise is an expensive one & airfare out to the West Coast is much more than going to Fla-

. For a family I think the cost of getting to the port should be a big factor in making the choice...not sure how the ships compare--both are bigger than Radiance class whihc is what we cruise on...I have heard that Mariner is a very popular ship

I live in CA... and I'm telling you the Car. is SOOOOOOOO much more beautiful... MR is fun, but it just seems so much more dirty than the other ports you would be visiting. You're not missing much in Cabo or Mazatl...

I've got a chance to switch my currently booked 6/7/09 Mariner of the Seas Mex. Riv. cruise to the 6/7/09 Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral.

Since we are in GA, we would have to fly 4 of us out to the west coast next June (currently about $450/ticket) vs Driving to Orlando the day before. (Much less!) Money IS an object, but we could swing the flights if we had to.

We have been to the West. Carib several times (GC,Coz,Jam) but I've never been on the Mex Riv. Cruise. However, we are doing a land vacation in Nuevo Vallarta/Puerto Vallarta this summer for a week. So I will get to see one port we would be at on the cruise, we would miss Cabo and Maz.

For those that have done both routes, am I going to miss that much by not going on the Mex. Riv. cruise? I love snorkeling, and I will be doing a snorkle tour while in PV. But I understand snorkeling is much better in the Caribbean?

I've been on the MOS to the West Carib. before, but I've never been on the Freedom class, but was planing it for a couple of years down the road.

Oh, and most important..... The deck 7 corner Afts are still available on the Freedom! Currently have 7388 on the MOS. I've been looking at the Freedom afts and according to Bonnie Voyager, they are identical to the Voyager class. We have 2 teen age boys that would love to try out the Flow Rider!

Thanks in advance for your input!

We were recently in the position you are now ( less the two teenagers ). That is, we've seen West Carib lots of times. So many in fact that DW is worried that Cozumel will tax us as residents. But, as we all know there are other ports out there so we went for the Vision on the Mexican Riveria. It was nice. It was $$$ about two or three times more than the Western Carib, ie; Cozumel etc. So, Jacquelyn :D, IMHO I would take my two teen age boys on Freedom and stick to the Carib for all the reasons listed here and one more .... except for whales there really isn't anything much different on the west coast except higher prices. Enjoy :)

We just came back from a cruise on the Vision of the Seas and although we had a great time, We would not do it again. Cold water, big waves, rougher ride, and higher cost. We will stick with the caribbean from now on.

THanks for all the input. Going to switch to the Freedom out of Port Canaveral. The $$$ saved will come in handy for all those extra cruise expenses you get at the end of the cruise :eek: !

Archived