Names on staterooms

djhsolara

I agree. I loved my Sitmar list. One of the best souvenirs I ever got. I too look to see what everyone's status is as I walk down the hall. Kind of fun. Then as I get closer to where I THINK my room is, I start reading the names. I can get it narrowed down to a section, but without those names on the door, I'd be knocking and banging at some poor strangers room to get in. We usually travel with a group and finding their rooms can also be a challenge. We know the sort of area, but without those names.... I don't mind them putting the kids name on either. Parents need to be as vigilent on a ship as anywhere and if you think your child's name should be protected then remove it. I'll bet the new friends on board (for the older ones) sure like seeing their name on the door though :D and kids get lost too.

I agree, they removed the stateroom numbers from the cruise cards (because of passenger complaints). Can you imagine how many passengers would be trying to open a stateroom door at all hours, on the wrong deck, if their names were not outside the cabin?

I mean, all of the doors look exactly the same, so no way of telling. I guess if they removed the names we could all hang funny things on our doors so we could recognize that we were at the right stateroom. :)

OK, how many have actually gone to what they thought was their stateroom, gone to open the door and realized when seeing the name plate OPPS, not my cabin, I got off on the wrong deck? I admit it, I have done it in the past. Thankfully, I did not try to open it with my key as I noticed in enough time I was at the wrong door. But I am sure it happens more than most would like to admit.

On my last cruise, I accidentally did go to the wrong deck. I was trying to use my cabin key and figured that somehow it stopped working, when the cabin steward offered to open the door for me (somehow it didn't occur to me that it wasn't my steward). When he did, I realized it wasn't our cabin.:o

I'm another person who likes to check out the "status" of the people in each room as I go by...I don't even bother with the names.

On our Island Princess Alaska cruise I noticed we were the only Platinum passengers in our area of the ship. So one day rather than walking the Promenade deck for exercise I walked all the halls counting Platinum and Elite tags - 19 on the whole ship! ... OK I know that's not your idea of fun, but it was miles of great exercise.
I would have gotten twice the exercise...OCD...I would have done it again to make sure the count was right. :D

It's much like towel animals to me. Princess does it; other cruise lines don't. Other cruise lines do towel animals; Princess generally doesn't. Both can be a bit of an invasion of privacy. Both can be stopped by either removing the tag or requesting no more towel animals. Not a big deal either way.

I don't really mind having my name or my husband's name listed, but I do kind of wish they wouldn't put our children's names on it. Like most parents we are pretty protective of our children's identities because you just don't want strangers able to address them by name. You just never know. With that being said, we keep very close tabs on our kids and my 8 year old daughter is never unsupervised so I don't worry too much about it. I just think as a rule it might be better of Princess just listed names of those in the cabin over 18.

I 100% agree with you.

We will be on our first princess cruise in a few weeks. I don't really care if my name or husbands name is listed but I do care if the kids names are listed.

Would I be able to have the name tag changed to not show the kids names?

Would I be able to have the name tag changed to not show the kids names?

You can just pull the name tag out of the slot, simple as that. Just make sure there is a way for your kids to locate their stateroom without difficulty. Maybe some little thing on the door or something might work.

BTW-By the name only, nobody will know if it is an adult or child in that stateroom.

Since name/cabin number is public (on door) what kind of info

is used to set up internet access on cruise ship internet terminals?

I heard cruise door card is not used.

How about bar charges.... do they swipe the card for bar and coffee

or look at the card which has no room number on it.

Since name/cabin number is public (on door) what kind of info is used to set up internet access on cruise ship internet terminals? I heard cruise door card is not used.

How about bar charges.... do they swipe the card for bar and coffee

or look at the card which has no room number on it.

The cabin door card is swiped for everything!

It's much like towel animals to me. Princess does it; other cruise lines don't. Other cruise lines do towel animals; Princess generally doesn't. Both can be a bit of an invasion of privacy. Both can be stopped by either removing the tag or requesting no more towel animals. Not a big deal either way.

I really fail to see how a towel animal is an invasion of privacy!

I really fail to see how a towel animal is an invasion of privacy!

From what I've read, many times the steward will use items in the room to incorporate in the towel animal. Sometimes these items aren't just laying around in plain sight.

On our Island Princess Alaska cruise I noticed we were the only Platinum passengers in our area of the ship. So one day rather than walking the Promenade deck for exercise I walked all the halls counting Platinum and Elite tags - 19 on the whole ship! ... OK I know that's not your idea of fun, but it was miles of great exercise.

Interesting, I didn't know that. So what color are the Platinum and Elite tags? I didn't notice any different color tags on our cruise to Hawaii but I must admit, I wasn't really paying that close attention!

Platinum are Gray/Silver color (We get our first one in October!:D ) & Elite are Black.

We take our door name tag home....and put it in our photo albums from each cruise, along with the itinerary & our cruise card!!:)

Color me naive but they all looked white with black writing on them that I saw, including ours.

Correct, names are in black & white....but there is a stripe, along the bottom that is the color that coincides with your Captain Circle status. You might not really notice it all...it took me a few times.:o

Oh, I see. Well we are as low as you can get, we will just be on Princess Cruise #3 in July. But I don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere! ;)

Who really cares what color stripe is on the name tag? Everyone

(stewards, crew, passengers) should treat all passengers equally. Maybe

it's for those other societies which are so class conscious.

Perhaps a newbie should be treated better since they may or may not

become repeat customers.

Who knows, maybe those with Captain Circle/Elite

are flagged by the crew and checked out to see if they caused problems (noise, disorderly conduct), cheap with tips and what not on past

cruises!

Do people really care? Obviously so....

No one is being treated differently, this is not what was intended with my explanation of the colors. Sorry that this was perceived this way - it is simply something that Princess does with their name tags, showing if someone has cruised before or not.

From cruises with other lines, they do the same with your key card - first time cruiser cards are blue, 2nd cruise through so may are another color like platinum and then after 16 cruises or so many miles another color.

From what I've read, many times the steward will use items in the room to incorporate in the towel animal. Sometimes these items aren't just laying around in plain sight.

Years ago on a now-defunct cruiseline, the steward opened a drawer and got my mother's nightgown out and laid it across the bed. I just think that is CREEPY. She probably had her undies in the same drawer, and nobody wants people peeking through your undie drawer!! (off topic... sorry)

Oh, I see. Well we are as low as you can get, we will just be on Princess Cruise #3 in July. But I don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere! ;)

Same here... Princess Cruise #3 in July. Difference is, you did them all in one year. It took us 11 years!!

I was surprised to see the names on the staterooms as well. But I wished they did that on NCL. We met a couple, didn't get their last name, and tried to find them on last day of cruise. We knew what deck they were on and the Purser's desk couldn't help us. It would have been great if their names were posted.

BTW, we did find them, as we were looking out our balcony we saw them walking off the ship and were able to catch up to them!

I haven't had that happen but I suppose I wouldn't like anyone going through the drawers looking for stuff.

Archived