Names on staterooms

djhsolara

This was our first Princess sailing and we were very surprised to see everyone's names posted outside their staterooms (on the mailboxes). We didn't have a problem with it, but isn't that a privacy issue? I understand they do not post passenger lists because of privacy, so wouldn't this be along the same lines.

Is this normal on all Princess sailings?

Yes, they do it on all sailings. I don't get why it's a privacy issue, though. It's pretty anonymous -- it's not like your photo is up there with the name. No more info than is in the average telephone book (and I'm speaking as someone who has an unlisted number!).

Yep, every Princess stateroom has a name plate. Never worried much about a privacy issue though. It keeps people from knocking on my door looking for someone else as they realize they are at the wrong stateroom when a different name is on the name plate. Plus, it sure helps the stateroom steward learn all the names quickly.

We have never given it a second though, and since our witness protection is no longer in force, haven't had to worry much about it. ;)

Yes, they do it on all sailings. I don't get why it's a privacy issue, though. It's pretty anonymous -- it's not like your photo is up there with the name. No more info than is in the average telephone book (and I'm speaking as someone who has an unlisted number!).

I didn't have a problem with it because I knew I could have taken it down if I wanted to...and it didn't really matter to me, but it is a privacy issue simply because of the fact that your name is published on your room door. I just found it to be rather odd.

I've never stayed in a land-based hotel where they put your name by the door.

I don't understand why it would be a privacy issue.:confused:

Don't you usually tell people your name? There is no hometown, state, social security number or other identifying information displayed.

Mike:)

I like having our last name posted outside our stateroom.:) I've always had the feeling that our cabin attendants have liked it handy too...they always addressed us by Mr. and/or Mrs. and our last name.

I don't understand why it would be a privacy issue.:confused:

Don't you usually tell people your name? There is no hometown, state, social security number or other identifying information displayed.

Mike:)

I like having our last name posted outside our stateroom.:) I've always had the feeling that our cabin attendants have liked it handy too...they always addressed us by Mr. and/or Mrs. and our last name.

I concur.

Last year on Crystal - midway through the cruise, we got a passenger list of all the passengers and their home city and state. Nice touch IMO.

I have no problems with passenger names on the room. If you don't like it, you can remove it. I have found it helpful when looking for people's rooms.

On 18 sailings with Princess, I have never seen anyone going down the halls scrutinizing the names on the mail boxes. :)

.....we scrutinized it........especially......when we arrived and found my identical twin brother's wife listed with me in my cabin.......and my wife listed with him in his cabin.........:eek: :D

From 30 years ago on RCL on the Song of Norway, I have a book with all the passengers who traveled and their hometowns.

I hear all cruise lines used to do this. Really classy IMO!

On 18 sailings with Princess, I have never seen anyone going down the halls scrutinizing the names on the mail boxes. :)
Well I don't really scrutinize, but I do check to see the color - I want to know how many Elite I'm up against :D
Last year on Crystal - midway through the cruise, we got a passenger list of all the passengers and their home city and state. Nice touch IMO.
I think it was actually a custom that began back in the days of the ocean liner - I think it pretty cool too.
I have no problems with passenger names on the room. If you don't like it, you can remove it. I have found it helpful when looking for people's rooms.
I agree - and really, what are people afraid of? You have your name on your house, your mailbox...why not your stateroom? If it's an issue, it's easily removed...

I don't really mind having my name or my husband's name listed, but I do kind of wish they wouldn't put our children's names on it. Like most parents we are pretty protective of our children's identities because you just don't want strangers able to address them by name. You just never know. With that being said, we keep very close tabs on our kids and my 8 year old daughter is never unsupervised so I don't worry too much about it. I just think as a rule it might be better of Princess just listed names of those in the cabin over 18.

Two years ago, Princess tried NOT posting passengers' names on their doorway. The result was a lot of lost and confused passengers who couldn't remember their cabin number (especially after a visit to the bar!) I'm glad Princess decided to post the names again.

.....we scrutinized it........especially......when we arrived and found my identical twin brother's wife listed with me in my cabin.......and my wife listed with him in his cabin.........:eek: :D

Did you have fun? :D

It didn't bother me so much having my name on the door.....just having my social security number and date-of-birth right below is was a little much!! (just kidding)

And what bothered me the most was the fact that they posted my weight -- pre-cruise AND post-cruise!!! ;)

Two years ago, Princess tried NOT posting passengers' names on their doorway. The result was a lot of lost and confused passengers who couldn't remember their cabin number (especially after a visit to the bar!) I'm glad Princess decided to post the names again.
This is especially true now that our cabin numbers are no longer on our cruise card. That little tag with our name was a life saver several times during our last cruise.

Well I don't really scrutinize, but I do check to see the color - I want to know how many Elite I'm up against :D I think it was actually a custom that began back in the days of the ocean liner - I think it pretty cool too. I agree - and really, what are people afraid of? You have your name on your house, your mailbox...why not your stateroom? If it's an issue, it's easily removed...
Agreed. The color also tells the steward which passengers "know the ropes" and which absolutely need to be at that muster drill or have all the procedures explained to them. We also seem to get a lot of appreciation from the stewards and room service and many "Welcome Back"s just due to that tag.

On our Island Princess Alaska cruise I noticed we were the only Platinum passengers in our area of the ship. So one day rather than walking the Promenade deck for exercise I walked all the halls counting Platinum and Elite tags - 19 on the whole ship! ... OK I know that's not your idea of fun, but it was miles of great exercise.

I agree, they removed the stateroom numbers from the cruise cards (because of passenger complaints). Can you imagine how many passengers would be trying to open a stateroom door at all hours, on the wrong deck, if their names were not outside the cabin?

I mean, all of the doors look exactly the same, so no way of telling. I guess if they removed the names we could all hang funny things on our doors so we could recognize that we were at the right stateroom. :)

OK, how many have actually gone to what they thought was their stateroom, gone to open the door and realized when seeing the name plate OPPS, not my cabin, I got off on the wrong deck? I admit it, I have done it in the past. Thankfully, I did not try to open it with my key as I noticed in enough time I was at the wrong door. But I am sure it happens more than most would like to admit.

Back in the old days...:rolleyes: ...on Sitmar Cruises, passenger lists were a part of the cruise souvenirs. I would look forward to getting each one and saving them along with my other memories. I didn't find it an invasion of privacy at all. I felt if was a lovely touch on a luxury cruise.

Archived