anybody else thinking of throwing in the towel?

To those that suggested Great Lakes cruises, I think it is a great idea. I am sure that there would be a market to base a ship or two. The wilds of Lake Superior, cities like Toronto and Chicago, what is not to like?

But the ships would have to be smaller. The only ship Carnival has right now that is short enough to fit in the Welland Canal is the Holiday. And I do not know if the Holiday would fit width wise or depth.

Although making it sound as if no one is going to have any money for anything else is a little dramatic, it is a concern.

The oil prices go beyond filling your gas tank. Everything I've been purchasing has increased in price so dramatically over the past 6 to 8 months that I can't believe it. I am blessed to be in a position where this isn't interfering with my vacations, (yet) but I can't imagine how folks that were struggling to start with (which would be a great many Americans) are going to manage.

Right now since we're done winter, this is a great relief because I heat my home with oil. The last time I filled my tank it cost me just under $800. :eek: I can't IMAGINE when the weather gets cold again, how much oil will be and what it will cost.

I feel your pain. My last two fillups of propane were each around $775 which in the dead of winter is a 6 week supply. How long does a fill of oil last?

I feel your pain. My last two fillups of propane were each around $775 which in the dead of winter is a 6 week supply. How long does a fill of oil last?

I use propane too so I have both pains. :(

Oil used to get us between 3 and 4 weeks during peak cold season. Then our heating unti died and we got a new one...and also we replaced all windows throughout the house. Now, with the more efficient heater and the bettre windows that tank lasts us 5 to 6 weeks, which is MUCH better. (obviously in the summer it lasts a heck of a lot longer)

We have gas dryer & stove and have propane directly hooked to the gas BBQ grill so we get that propane tank filled about 3x a year.

One of our bills actually went down dramatically...and that is our electric. Slowly, as lightbulbs have been dying on us, we've replaced them with the new energy efficient bulbs and our electric bill dropped from an average of $115 a month down all the way to $70. That is HUGE, especially since all we did was change the lightbulbs.

We decided we like cruising and will keep doing so. We drove from Phoenix to Seattle last summer for our Alaskan cruise and really enjoyed it. Stopped in Reno and stayed at Circus Circus. I think most people can easily make adjustments to their life to make up for those costs, for example quit smoking, eat out less, watch the grocery bill or cut down on credit cards. We do this, and combined with our tax return take 2 nice vacations a year on average incomes. It comes down to what your priorities are.

We decided we like cruising and will keep doing so. We drove from Phoenix to Seattle last summer for our Alaskan cruise and really enjoyed it. Stopped in Reno and stayed at Circus Circus. I think most people can easily make adjustments to their life to make up for those costs, for example quit smoking, eat out less, watch the grocery bill or cut down on credit cards. We do this, and combined with our tax return take 2 nice vacations a year on average incomes. It comes down to what your priorities are.

You can only put so much air in a balloon before it burst.

Neither my wife or i smoke. We don't get a refund from the IRS. We only eat out with gift cards we get from people for birthdays etc. Only so much belt tightening you can do.

I only can get 7 days off at a time so driving is out of the question.

Well I guess I can take my son out of college and tell him to get a job at Target.:D

I saw a thread here yesterday about the Pride being moved to Baltimore but it was just a tease with no solid info. That would be nice if it came to fruition.

Bill

Interesting thread...just thinking about all of this during my walk at lunch. My DH and I have no kids and we made excellent $. The cost of heating fuel for us is unbelievable. We use about 900 gallons a year and just two years ago, we were paying $1.99 a gallon. Now the cap price is not being published but am hearing $5 a gallon. I don't know how someone making $10-12 a hour even without kids can even make it. Spending $100 a week on groceries and we rarely go out for dinner. We are blessed with our health and family and a lovely home and want for nothing. But, we thought at this point in our lives that cruising every year was going (40's) to be a given.

My husband's job is related to transportation and diesel fuel which is skyrocketing fast. I have never worried too much about jobs, etc., but I am at this point.

Heard last night on the national news that a hedge analyst predicts oil to go to $200 a barrell within two years which will make the cost of a gallon of gas $7 a gallon. Our local station just went to $3.96 today.

Spending at least $600 on airfare (cheap and driving a few hours) to Miami, etc., along with the $2,500 you would spend on a cruise, adds up fast. I am a cruise snob and love a balcony and DH likes to do a pre-post cruise on SB. So, you could have $4,000 a year on a trip without batting an eye.

I agree with you to a certain extent. "Cutting down" is much easier said than done though, especially if you have a family to take care of.

Here's an example. A family of 5, three younger kids and a parent with a chronic disease which requires monthly maintenance meds and doctor visits. This family makes a decent living and once upon a time had more than adequate savings. No smokers, no dining out, etc...

With the costs of groceries, gas, and everything skyrocketing, this family has had to resort to using credit cards to pay for groceries and necessary medications. Have you taken a look at how much money a month someone WITH health insurance has to pay out of pocket if they have a chronic disease? Not to think of those who don't have any coverage...

Do you know how much it costs for someone who has their kids enrolled in a PUBLIC school to just get their kids in the door? They get no reduced fees or assitance because they make minimally more than the income guidelines. The costs of just basic Target/Wal-Mart clothing has increased as well.

After paying the heat bill and putting gas in the cars to drive to work, there just isn't enough left anymore. Before savings is mentioned, most of these people have depleted their emergency funds (savings) in an attempt to keep their heads above water.

The middle class are the people feeling the economy pinch the most. Those who are in the upper tax brackets don't have a worry and those who are lower can get assistance from the government in the form of food stamps, medical coverage, housing, etc.. Where is the average Joe or Josephine in this picture?

I can tell you where they are. They are struggling to survive and failing at an alarming rate. Vacationing will not be a priority on their lists. It's not going to get any better either.

Unfortunately, scenarios like this are happening every day. I won't even get into those who are on Medicare and are not able to get crap for medical coverage....

JMHO. :)

I got word (reliable source that delivers gas) yesterday that gas prices here (Mobile, Alabama) will be $4.20 (per gallon of regular) by end of next week. Since I try not to drive much I went ahead and filled my tank last night @$3.73 per gallon.

Sure this will help me out for a little while but like others have said it will catch up with all of us eventually. The price of everything is going up. Groceries, gas, clothes, ect. It is going to hit our pockets in some form or fashion.

We have all three legs of the South American cruise booked on the Splendor. Really wondering if we should cancel a trip of a life time and save the money or take it and enjoy the cruise.

Travel of any kind is just one of those things we are all going to have to budget for and make a priority if we want to continue doing it. Learning to cut back here there and everywhere will be a priority for us.

And 4.19 here in WV.

The answer to the OP question,,,,,,yes. It will definately make my decision for me, I love to cruise, but I can certainly find other vacations, maybe not like a cruise, but something else I would be interested in doing. I never thought I would ever say that. But it has come to that. :(

Travel of any kind is just one of those things we are all going to have to budget for and make a priority if we want to continue doing it. Learning to cut back here there and everywhere will be a priority for us.

I agree 100%.....the problem with the current environment is that it makes it impossible to know what a vacation will cost 6 months, 9 months, or a year down the road. The cost of airline tickets is completely unknown, and you can book something now and the airline can cancel the flight or even worse as in some cases recently cancel service completely to some cities. As far as the cruise line is concerned what will the fuel surcharge be and will there be any other unknown charges. If you are used to spending a few thousand dollars for a weeks vacation and all of a sudden are paying that much and more for fuel and home heating it makes one wonder.

After pricing plane tickets over $450 per person (we usually can find them for 250 or less) to Florida, I think booking our next cruise is definatly on hold. And we are only 2 people (no kids) with very good jobs. I just can't justify spending that much just to get to the port, let alone cruise.....

I wish I lived in Florida!

And I do wish they had more east coast departures...or Carnival could put a ship in the Great Lakes!

HI Simkoreb,

Are you a Yooper or a Troll? (I'm a Yooper.)

Our cruise is scheduled in January 09 in San Diego. I can't book the flight until next month through Southwest. Even though it's several months away, the way things are going has me very concerned. I live 12 hours away from San Diego, and there's no way I am driving. Too much to drive home after getting off a cruise ship, it's not worth that much to me if the air fare is unaffordable. I'm hearing more and more that only the rich will be able to fly. So, it's going to get real ugly. There's signs of it right now happening in places like Las Vegas. Every business that depends on tourists will be affected, sad for the employees who will lose their jobs. I didn't read the other responses to this thread, so I'm going to spend time reading what everyone has to say. JMTCW

P.S. All the Starbucks located in the grocery stores around here have closed down. Overpriced bad coffee IMHO, no wonder they are gone.

As a student, I'm really glad that the engine in my car gave way last yesterday. Instead of purchasing another car, I moved closer to school and on the transit line. Yes, I wake up at the crack of dawn somedays to get to work but my transit card is $40/month. Word on the street at work is that transit cards will be reduced to $29/month.

I just booked my first ever cruise for 10/18/09 this gives me ample time to pay it off. I'm also really lucky that I live in the Atlanta area and I can drive to the ports in Fl, NO, Ala, SC. Life is entirely too short and I want to live it.

We are lucky that we have Port of San Diego and Port of Long Beach to go too and the Splendor will be stationed in Long Beach soon, so we won't have to fly much. We have Elation, Spirit, Paradise, Pride and soon the Splendor to cruise on over here on the Left Coast. On top of that RCI Radiance of the Sea will start sailing out of San Diego next year.

Took the words right out of my mouth, Fred. :)

40 minutes from Long Beach port.

2 1/2 hours from San Diego port

5 hours from Frisco port

Would even consider making it an overnight stop to get to Seattle and Vancouver ports.

With all the above-named ships on the West Coast . . . no need to fly at this time. Will miss the "new" ports, but, oh well, that's life. If this oil goes to $300 a barrell, I see the 51st and 52nd State in our future. :D

The price of our flights to and from Alaska will probably be as much if not more than the cruise.

I have a Cat #11 cabin on the Spirit in August. I just upgraded my flights from economy to 1st Class. Now the airfare & the cruise are nearly the same price. :rolleyes: Will it get to the point where I won't be able to fly to catch a ship? Maybe... The thought of driving to Charleston, SC to get on an NCL ship just gives me the willies. :eek: :D

and one 40# carry on at no charge as of last night. I get ID 90 privileges..$50 ow/ or $100 r/t to contig US, AK..$200 abroad. Still I will drive to port 100, 04 175 miles from home. My pal works for Delta 15 + yrs has take over a 32% pay cut in the last 3 yrs..she is doing a buy out soon, and will collect widows pension, and work p/t somewhere in ATL..I will continue to book G'tee,and pay single supp:( and watch my spending. last week was a $75 OBC, so I came home with a check to deposit. I've quit driving everyday, and eating out, lowered my phone plan, and watch groc spending..so I can still afford to cruise every 6 weeks or so. That is my vacation, time away, and what I do for me . It aint got me down yet!

Like many others on this thread, our plans have already been changed.

We had booked a Crown Princess cruise for this fall but after checking airfare (two months ago), it became apparent that an all-inclusive vacation to Puerto Vallarta was a much cheaper alternative. Hello Riu Palace Pacifico.

We've booked the Spirit from San Diego next January and went ahead and bought airfare about three weeks ago. Glad we did as prices are skyrocketing.

It appears that any future cruises for us will sail from Galveston or New Orleans, both within driving distance from us here in Oklahoma.

I'm not throwing in the towel...

...It's more like they are pulling the rug out from under me...:(

I think that's a very accurate statement,there!

Someone's jerking our chain...BAD.

I feel like The Big Squeeze is on...fer real,this time!

I'm no longer worried about Them hitting my wallet - that's gone.

It's Life Savings you need to worry about now

This is not just about cruising.

This is about everything.

This is about draining you dry!

That's my perception of this.

If I throw in the towel, it will have to be an old one.. Sure can't afford new ones:(

These fuel prices have me so glad I have my 2009 cruise booked.. After that, we will have to take a second look..

It is amazing that each time we near a holiday gas prices increase at least by a dime in a few hours.. Fuel companies can whine all they want, those quarter profits reports say it all to me.. The thing that makes me P.O.ed is that the gov. is still giving them tax breaks, for what?? If the fat cats in Washington actually had to go to the grocery stores and live in the real world, things would change.. EVERYTHING has increased in price due to the fuel.. And if the fuel goes down, I seriously doubt the other prices will. In my less than humble opinion, the fuel companies are singled handed driving us into a recession.. Yesterday many many items in my grocery store was up 5-10 cents from monday..

In my less than humble opinion, the fuel companies are singled handed driving us into a recession.. Yesterday many many items in my grocery store was up 5-10 cents from monday..

I know...it's awful in the grocery stores. :(

People cruising to New England this summer will be in for a rude awakening. Lobster cost double what it did last year. Seafood in general is astronomical. The fisherman who have it difficult financially to begin with must be in horrible situations right now. My heart aches for them.

Some of us are starting to feel the pinch before others do. I have a well to do friend who could care less what prices are doing. I on the other hand can afford to cruise, but if I look at it realistically and see that the cost of one week on a cruise with air, surcharges, etc.......will pay for an entire winter of fuel for heat I have to take a step back. I hope that this is a bubble that will take care of itself in time. If not I don't want to be looking back a few years from now and wish I had been a little more frugal. Many baby boomers now will have to work in retirement...........and I don't want to be one of them.

Archived