anybody else thinking of throwing in the towel?

:cool: We are from Canada and have been paying $4.00 plus a gallon for awhile so your gas is not surprising. also - check out our air fares, absolutely unreal. we still manage to cruise but I will admit that we may do an all inclusive to Mexico this time around. I really do sympathize with you and hope you can swing it some how.:cool:

Sorry you've been paying so much for gas, but everything is more expensive in Canada, so somehow that's not shocking to me (it still stinks, though!) -- Europe is what, $4 a litre? It's just a big shock to everyone to be paying outrageous gas prices, so nobody is happy about it right now.

I'm not saying we can't afford it (glass of wine last night = inability to type out clear thoughts), I'm just saying that that money can be better used elsewhere than spending money to check A bag. I'll give them extra bag, but one should be included in your airfare. It's more or less the principle of the matter. Looks like we'll be loyal Southwest fliers ;)

No way are we throwing in the towel, but I am glad we've had our cruise for this year. We shouldn't need to fly anywhere for the next year or so, and we'll see how airline "service" :p shakes out in that time.

As to gas prices, the only solution we have for those is to own oil stocks. A few thousand shares of XOM takes the edge off, at the pump.

I won't throw in the towel this year. Thankfully, it is just Ginger D and myself, but I can see where trying to raise children and take a vacation could really be tough on a large family. I refuse to let the #*+%# oil companies dictate what I can do. I bought a small truck for work that gets 28 MPG. I quit eating out much (it was an everyday deal), and I only drive when I have to, not when I want to. I quit taking my boats out. Oh yes, I almost forgot, I quit buying Exxon!:mad:

I may have to miss cruising next year, but you can bet on one thing for sure. I will definately be looking at some new politicians this fall and I'm not talking presidential only, I mean ALL of THEM.

Thats what i'm starting to look at. We keep putting the same yahoos back in congress and thats what we get , the same old thing. Everybody thinks its everyone else senator and rep well its your Senator and rep you keep putting back in forever. Its not the oil co. Its all the regs and rules and I don't want a refinery here and don't drill for oil here. A new President won't fix a thing but most people think that it will. Good luck. Everybody wants to blame somebody else. Politicians are only trying to keep their jobs to stick it to us some more. Just waite till you get your TAX bill next year. In Washington commmon sence has left the building,and its our fault.

As others have said, we won't stop cruising, we will just plan better. We are among the lucky ones who will be able to drive to Galveston, New Orleans and even Mobile and driving certainly takes away the luggage issue. We will be driving no matter what. We usually stay an extra day or two to do some deep sea fishing in Galveston. Can't do that if we were to fly. No matter what everyone chooses, the cost of cruising has gone up, most definitely. Now everyone will have to make the decision on which shore excursions are worth the money. We may cut the excursions to pay the extra gas prices. We are in no uncertain terms rich but we are able to save money on a monthly basis. We will just budget in money to set aside each month for a cruise. We may not get to cruise yearly or on the Mediterranean cruise yet, but save for two years and we will go wherever we want. If you want to cruise, you will find a way. It's as simple as that. Maybe not every year but maybe every 15 months. Those who want to cruise will find a way. Just a slower way!!! :rolleyes:

I bet we see the pendulum swing back to more ships being homeported in the U.S. again, like it was 3+ years ago. Unless the cruise lines can still fill the ships with Europeans on the summer itineraries there (and those embarking from Carribean ports in the winter), we will see the trend reverse. As is obvious from the postings here, air fares, new fees and just as significantly, the shrinking U.S. dollar are going to kill off those markets.

Oh, I don't know. The Freedom was full of Brits last year, and lots of Canadians too. Americans were not in the majority. Remember, Europeans have had $6/gallon gas for years (it's more like $7 now) and you can still get good service on airlines here (dunno how long that will last), Europeans are not crawling under the cost of health care, nor do they feel poor because of a housing crisis. They also get a lot more vacation to burn. So overall I think Carnival made a smart move by launching their newest ships in Europe. It's building up their image and their market share where the money is: Europe. They should do the same in Asia next I think. America is limping along and may continue to do so for a few more years I'm afraid.

We are lucky that we have Port of San Diego and Port of Long Beach to go too and the Splendor will be stationed in Long Beach soon, so we won't have to fly much. We have Elation, Spirit, Paradise, Pride and soon the Splendor to cruise on over here on the Left Coast. On top of that RCI Radiance of the Sea will start sailing out of San Diego next year.

Fred

We will not be throwing the towel in either. We are leaving next month...and will be DRIVING...all the way to San Diego from Montana.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

If I have to drive more then 2 hours to port........I fly:D

We live 3 1/2 hours from Vegas.......I fly:D

I think after our already scheduled March 2009 cruise, we'll definitely be taking a break for awhile (it will be my 7th or 8th). Fortunately we already have our airfare paid for (the baggage fees are being grandfathered in so we're safe from those for now as we've already paid).

I hope the oil companies are enjoying their billions, because it can't last much longer.

In reality everything is going to change for those used to the American way.

Suburban living with huge freeways networks; I shudder to think of what this means in places like LA, Phoenix, Atlanta and other cities built on commuting to and from the burbs.

Lets not forget that the US uses more oil per / person then any other country. Everything from lighting and heating your house to putting food on the table is going to permanently change at 130 dollars oil.

There aren't the threat of OPEC embargos and gas lines of the 70's but life as we know it will change and it'll be very very bumpy and painful for the middle class and lower in the US. For better or worst the upper half can afford this but in the end its very very bad news for any business that depends on discretionary spending. They will be in for a sudden shakeout.

Of course the whole world could fall into recession and demand will drop and viola we'll be back at 75 dollar oil again and problem solved:D

Sadly, that's true!!!

Oh, yes, after that talking-to they got in Congress yesterday, I'm sure they're just shaking in their boots. :rolleyes:

Oh, I didn't mean that the government would do anything. They are certainly bought and paid for and doing what they are told.

I mean you can't get blood from a turnip. Everyone is feeling the squeeze and soon, after the necessities are paid for, I don't think anyone is going to have any money for anything else. Certainly not flying, driving long distances, or cruises.

Yes, unfortunately it's just too expensive for us to fly to Florida and then pay a hotel bill, food, etc. We can drive to Galveston, but the summer rates out of Galveston are HUGE, just doesn't seem right. Wish we had more ships out of Texas, and the prices were a big lower.

The only good thing about the high gas prices, is I finally put some of my 401K into petroleum. While paying out the a$$ for gas, at least I'm earning a few pennies back.

I have pretty much given up on a cruise for this summer with the grandsons, and it makes me very sad.

Di

I just got a good deal on airfare!! $256 round trip. I know some of you think that is high but that is usually the going rate for flying out of the airport we use. On the way back home its a non-stop flight so I don't think that was too bad!!:) We are going in Jan. of 2009

Oh, yes, after that talking-to they got in Congress yesterday, I'm sure they're just shaking in their boots. :rolleyes:

Yesterday was a replay of 1 year ago. All Congress does is show boat. They've done nothing since the oil embargo of the early 70's to do anything regarding the energy situation. We get what we deserve because we keep sending them back every election.:mad:

Another big reason oil is so expensive is the dollar losing its value (soon to be worth less than the Mexican peso). Everything we import costs a lot more.

On top of that the govenment wants the dollar to be weak because that heps it with paying back our national debt to the Chinese and the Dubai government.

Who would have thought our great country had fallen so far so fast.

Fortunately we can drive to Galveston, just a 8-9 hour trip or we couldn't go. Since we have discovered cruising we're hooked. I won't ever do another vacation probably.

We have cut back on a lot of things...had to out of necessity. Price of gas went up 10 cents overnight here, and have you priced a dozen of eggs lately? it's not just gas it is everything bec. of the price of oil.

Just bought a very used car that gets good gas mileage. Bought one new just like it many years ago and sold it!!! :( Unfortunately it only has 2 seats so we can't drive it to Gal.

I want to enjoy life but not end up in the poor house either, there is a balance between the 2. Figure out what your NEEDS are and what your WANTS are. You need to eat, but maybe not necessarily at XYZ restaurant 2 times a week or maybe not at all etc. etc. - that's just my humble opinion :)

I grew up watching my parents work hard and save all their lives and when they retired they wanted to travel, but now they can't because they are in poor health. i don't want that to happen to me...

Sail on when you can, :cool:

Even though we live in NY, we haven't cruised out of NY in 24 years! Luckily, we have hit good airfares to Florida. I booked Delta for $358 Christmas week for our upcoming Miracle cruise, which I felt was a great price - it is now going for over $500 pp. I usually book air the day it opens. While I am leary of Delta, I'm glad I didn't book American, as we usually do - we would be paying that $15 per bag surcharge they put added yesterday. And, in answer to the initial question - I will just add the air into my vacation price. It will not stop us from vacationing/cruising. It will just be less for my kids to inherit! (they come with us on all our cruises/vacations, anyway!)

Everyone is feeling the squeeze and soon, after the necessities are paid for, I don't think anyone is going to have any money for anything else. Certainly not flying, driving long distances, or cruises.

I think that's a pretty apocalyptic estimate. I fill the gas tank in my car once every two weeks. It's going to be awhile before the price at the pump affects my life. I know it adds cost to everything else, but that's the way of the world. Making it sound like no one is going to "have any money for anything else" sounds melodramatic to me, since I've lived in England where they had these prices - decades ago!

My parents taught me well. They took one week vacation with the kids then one week vacation for themselves. We did that 2 years. Now youngest in college and we have 2 cruises booked for next year with one almost paid off and the other about half. We are planninga 3rd one to take son and his gf in March. I will continue to travel. It is the only real thing I do for fun.

Making it sound like no one is going to "have any money for anything else" sounds melodramatic to me, since I've lived in England where they had these prices - decades ago!

Although making it sound as if no one is going to have any money for anything else is a little dramatic, it is a concern.

The oil prices go beyond filling your gas tank. Everything I've been purchasing has increased in price so dramatically over the past 6 to 8 months that I can't believe it. I am blessed to be in a position where this isn't interfering with my vacations, (yet) but I can't imagine how folks that were struggling to start with (which would be a great many Americans) are going to manage.

Right now since we're done winter, this is a great relief because I heat my home with oil. The last time I filled my tank it cost me just under $800. :eek: I can't IMAGINE when the weather gets cold again, how much oil will be and what it will cost.

......Maybe the cruise lines can put some ships closer to where people live so that they don't have to fly. I know, wishful thinking.

Oh well, hopefully something will give.

Bill

Boston would be wonderful. Norwegian has been using Boston for quite a few years. Anyone have any ideas why Carnival won't utilize the port? I have no doubt that people would fill any ship they place there.

I just got a good deal on airfare!! $256 round trip. I know some of you think that is high but that is usually the going rate for flying out of the airport we use. On the way back home its a non-stop flight so I don't think that was too bad!!:) We are going in Jan. of 2009

From where to where? I would thnk that was fantastic!

Have you thought about trying a larger airport..$450 seem outrageous for Michigan.

You think that's outrageous? It's $440 to fly from DFW to FLL and back. Now that's outrageous! I'm trying to talk hubby into driving, but he says that all inclusives may be a cheaper way to go. I want to cruise!

Archived