Need to know which Obstructed View Cat G is Least Obstructed

erikishere

Thanks so much for the information on our cabin. A porthole is better than obstructed. This will be our first time on NCL. I think we were on deck 4 with Carnival. I was a little concered with the higher decks in case under the dining room.

Our cabin number was 8556 and it was an outside cabin with a limited view, well actually the view was of the side of a lifeboat with about an inch of sky above it. The cabin was directly above one of the late night venues, "The Medusa Lounge" and soundproofing was not as good as it could be. On the first night my husband did complain to reception and they did turn the volume down slightly, but I think it's a consideration that we will make in future, to see from deck plans if our cabin in above any public areas. The cabin was compact but with plenty of storage space. The TV was an old portable set with very limited viewing choices

We were in 8052 on Pearl and they have added some small boats that are not in the deck plans. We had a view but also had a catwalk that could give someone else a look so be careful to close the curtains when you prefer not to be seen. :o Our friends were beyond Mambos in a handicap cabin and I think they had a better view.

I'll be on the Jewel on a 9 nighter to the Southern British Caribbean this December 2008. I've been on the Pearl on the exact same trip. I believe the NCL Gem also, is the same class, with the same deck-plans.

We always get a Category G obstructed view on Deck 8, but our last sailing on the Pearl, our catergory G stateroom, was 100% totally obstructed, and I understand there is a web-site out there that identifies whether a NCL catergory G obstructed stateroom is 25% or 50% or 75%, or Heaven forbid, 100% obstructed view.

So does any kind Cruise Critic poster, have personal experience of the G category on Deck 8 (stateroom number or numbers would be greatly appreciated) on a Jewel, Pearl, or Gem class NCL ship, or second best, a link to that info on a previous Cruise Critic "thread", or thirdly, the name of a website that would have that information.

Thank-you kindly, from erikishere

Ask your travel agent to call the cruise line. They can tell her/him exactly the percent of the obstruction for any given room.

Thanks for posting the website. I tried going into it but to view the actual deck/room one has to be a member. Is there a way to get around this? When we booked we also got an obstructed cabin on deck 8 and then we checked NCL under our reservation and it had us on deck 4. It was also conflicting as one said cat F and the other FF. I guess I'm wondering if deck 4 is obstructed.

ARRGG! I just spent $11.95 to join Cruisedeckplans.com. NO INFO on % of obstruction for Jade category G cabins. NO PHOTOS of those cabins either! No write-ups. NOTHING! So don't waste your money if that is what you are looking for. (Nothing on Jewel category G staterooms either.) I was sure someone said we could find out the % of obstruction for G staterooms on that site, but that is not the case. Anyone know where folks are finding those percentage figures? My internet TA had no information either. Still hoping someone out there has some insight on Stateroom 8064 on the Jade! :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, the British NCL web site

https://seaweb.it.ncl.com/sw/ConsumerIndex.do

DOES give percentages of view blocked. Here is the link, but it does take

quite a few screens and work to find out the information. You have to

choose a sailing and then see if any staterooms in the category you are

inquiring about are open. From what I have checked in reference to the

category G cabins on Jade the web site mostly says 100% blocked,

however, and some of the folks posting here have said that various rooms

DO have SOME view, so it is very much a matter of opinion I guess... :(

Still looking for someone who has actually been in cabin 8064....

• 3 months later...

i just got upgraded from deck 4 inside cabin too 8th deck cabin 8580 obstructed. i am very happy and will not complain one bit about the veiw but am wondering if anyone knows if i will be able to see anything at all. thanks for the help and this has been a great thread to read for reverence.

• 10 months later...

On the NCL deck plans, there appears to be no lifeboat opposite 8054-52-50 and 8550-52-54. Actually, there is a ship's boat outside those cabins, not shown on the deck plans. I would call these cabins 25% obstructed.

Here is a picture of the port forward side of the NCL Jewel. Notice the line of orange life boats...at the forward end of that line is a smaller boat..the windows of the obstructed view cabins that show an open space on the NCL deck plans are above that smaller boat...your view "down" to the water will be obstructed by that smaller boat, but nothing like the other cabins with the bigger life boats outside their windows.

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/NCL/jewel-arrives.jpg

The cabins that have a window that is between lifeboats will have a bit more view, but there is a catwalk between the cabins and the boats that spans those cabins too.

We just got off the Jewel and were on deck 8 in an obstructed view cabin. We had a little view but mostly saw an orange life boat. I would say it was 80% obstructed. We got to see a little piece of sky. Also, we very often saw crew members outside our window. Not that it bothered us too much. We just waved at them. If I was clothed that is. If I was unclothed I hit the deck and quick. :o Also at night this lifeboat area is totally lighted with bright lights so if you want a dark cabin at night this will not be one.

My mom is handicapped and uses an electric scooter and were in a handicapped cabin. We booked over a year in advance and got this cabin as it was the last handicapped cabin available on the entire ship so be sure to leave these handicapped cabins for handicapped cruisers. Thank you. :D

If you are in the least worried or concerned about your view save yourself the trouble and don't book an obstructed view cabin. You might be disappointed.

We didn't have a choice as it was either that cabin or no cruise so we were just happy that we got to cruise, never mind the view or lack of one. ;)

Linda

Edited by Umbarger

Jewel cabin 8584 does not have a picture window. It has two small, elongaged portholes. This is first hand knowledge, our friends were in this cabin on the 10/30/09 Repo cruise. There is virtually no view (except the lifeboats). They were a bit disappointed to not at least have a full window.

However the location was very convenient for them, just steps to the Blue Lagoon and Tango's.

Like others, I have been in 8054 on the Jewel. Great cabin! There is basically a boat the size of a large Boston Whaler outside the window, not a full sized lifeboat. Great view :) But crew members were working in and around this boat frequently, and they did actually put this boat in the water at one Caribbean port, so you did have to be mindful of that when changing clothes or exiting the shower. Good deal though and a nice location!

We spent 21 days on a B2B in cat G cabin 8064 on the Jade. The view was obstructed by one of those white crane things right in front of the window, but if you stood off to the side there was a fairly good view out to sea and in ports. Yes, there were crew members outside our window far more times than I had thought there would be. Also the lights at night are bright so we always kept our drape drawn after dark. But the savings on this cabin and the great cionvenience of being mid-ship deck 8 were a tremendous plus, and I would book a similar cabin again if the price is close to the inside cabin price, as it was on our Jade cruise.

• 2 years later...
I read a post that Jade (it was Pride of Hawaii when post was written) obstructed view cabin 8578 is completely obstructed. No view of anything but some electrical panel!

Still searching for anyone with any info on Jade obstructed view cabins 8056 and 8058. Love to know some FACTS!

Two of our party of five are booked in 8056 on the Pearl (for now) while the other 3 are in a balcony above on deck 9. Just curious how the cabin was for you on this cruise (if you stayed in it). I know it's been a while but I did not see any follow up on this thread so I thought I would post to see if anyone had guidance.

Edited by ndabunka

• 4 months later...
Two of our party of five are booked in 8056 on the Pearl (for now) while the other 3 are in a balcony above on deck 9. Just curious how the cabin was for you on this cruise (if you stayed in it). I know it's been a while but I did not see any follow up on this thread so I thought I would post to see if anyone had guidance.

Hi,

I has just booked cabin 8056 on Norwegian Gem, same layout as Pearl. Could you tell me how obstructive was your cabin (8056).

Thanks !

• 1 year later...