Food question?

Hot2Travel

Going on CCL cruise this fall on Fantasy out of N.O.La. Does CCL basically serve the same menu and quality on all ships?:cool:

What is your favorite CCL dinning room:;)

salad?:)

entrée? :)

appetizer? :)

desert?:)

I have been on only 2 different Carnival ships so I am not quailfied to answer you.. But the deli on the Conquest was much better than the deli on the Ecstasy.. Not sure why as they both have the same sandwich machine..

We always eat things on a cruise we would never eat at home.. And always enjoy the food very much.. Don't be afraid to try something new.. If you don't like it, return it for something else..

Quality is obviously going to vary as chef's and staff vary.

Quality or taste can also vary depending on port due to varying suppliers and regional growers.

Menu's are essentially the same, as they're set by a master chef/kitchen, doing so lowers cost and improves overall efficiency.

Days of menu can vary from ship to ship

Going on CCL cruise this fall on Fantasy out of N.O.La. Does CCL basically serve the same menu and quality on all ships?:cool:

I thought the food was just as good on the Legend and Inspiration. Of course, it could depend on the executive chef.

Favorite salad - caesar - yummy!

entree - chauteaubriand

appetizer - salmon

dessert - creme brulee

I thought the food was just as good on the Legend and Inspiration. Of course, it could depend on the executive chef.

Favorite salad - caesar - yummy!

entree - chauteaubriand

appetizer - salmon

dessert - creme brulee

Neither the Conquest or the Ecstasy had creme brulee or maybe I missed it... My fav indeed.. But I mentioned to our server on the Conquest I missed the creme brulee and on our last night he served the whole table creme brulee. What a delightful surprise.. Big last night tip for him..LOL

I think one of my favorite things is the fresh pastries each morning..

Food in the main dining rooms and Lido buffets was great on all the Carnival ships we have sailed on. The menus and food in the supper clubs is even better! :) Currently all Carnival ships are using essentially the same menus..

Quality is obviously going to vary as chef's and staff vary.

Quality or taste can also vary depending on port due to varying suppliers and regional growers.

Menu's are essentially the same, as they're set by a master chef/kitchen, doing so lowers cost and improves overall efficiency.

Days of menu can vary from ship to ship

Your correct. They have seven day menues. So, if your on a shorter cruise you will miss some.

I had the same menu on the Inspiration, Liberty and Triumph in a months time and the food was very similar on the Inspiration and Triumph but, the cheft really had it changed on the Liberty and I didn't like it near as much.

The menu is the same throughout the fleet, but there will be some tweaks. On the Fantasy, they are trying to incorporate a Louisiana touch to the dishes.

Favorite salad - Mongolian Steak Salad (served in Celebration dining room at lunch).

Entree - Chateaubriand

Appetizer- West Indian Roasted Pumpkin Soup

Dessert- Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

I loved the food & choices on all of our Carnival cruises, but probably, if I had to choose, I would say the Miracle. The Miracle's Bacchus dining room is also definitely my favorite decor-wise, with the Legend coming in a close second. I know many people think it's over the top, but I thought it was gorgeous.

Not counting the supper clubs...which all had outstanding food preparation & presentation etc....in the main dining rooms my favorites would be:

Salad: Caesar

Appetizer: Escargots Bourguignonne

Entree: Quail

Dessert: Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Just my 2 cents :p.

The food quality is dependent on the quality of the staff. A ship that has great food one cruise could be mediocre a few months later because of staff rotation, people going off of contract, etc.

You just never know. The menus are the same, it is the implementation that is a crap shoot.

I went on a four day cruise on the Ecstacy four years ago and I and had my doubts, as the ship looked quite old and rundown at the time.

Yet, to my surprise, it had incredibly good food and service, so much so that I booked another cruise while on board. I have since sailed on seven other CCL cruises and although close, none has approached the quality of the food on that one cruise on the ecstasy!

For about 3 Years the same Menu rotation has been on all CCL Ships. Difference do appear depending upon the Chef aboard and the planning..

One critic is I do hope they improve there Cattle Beef.

Quality too in presentation and Prep work is the staff ..which is a large variable ...

Fav. Dishes:

Salad: Seafood Salad

Main Dish: Maine Lobster or Porterhouse Steak;)

App: (US) Shrimp Cocktail

Dessert: NY Cheesecake, yes the one without the loads of flour filler.. (This is what sets a good, no so good and GREAT Ship Culinary Dept apart as well the Chefs!):eek:

What is your favorite CCL dinning room:

entrée? ..thatsd Enter in French eh.. It should be Main Dish

appetizer?

Going on CCL cruise this fall on Fantasy out of N.O.La. Does CCL basically serve the same menu and quality on all ships?

Bring your own Tabasco and Tony's :D . On one cruise, I brought Slap Yo Mama.

I think it varies by ship too. I thought the Imagination buffet was really good (they took excellent care of the salad bar). Their dinner was good but not the best. The Legend had an good buffet and a great dining room. The Triumph buffet was less than ok (except for the deli! yum!) and the dining room was so so. But people on the except same ships could think the opposite than me.

What is your favorite CCL dinning room: Legend

salad? poor me, I'm allergic to lettuce

entrée? Red snapper or duck

appetizer? I love lots and lots of them, it would be hard to decide! I've been known to skip bread and dessert and order 3 :D

desert? I like the cheese and fruit plate

I love the german chocolate cake. It has not been on the lunch menu on my last two sailings on the Inspiration. They made one just for me on the last night:D . Now that is going above and beyond on great customer service. It was so good too. It is only on the lunch menu and I really suggest you try it. I am not normally a fan of German Chocolate cake but carnivals cake is so good. I like several of the soups, broccoli and cheese being one of my favorites, the greek salad is fantastic. Too many main meals to state a favorite.

Like others have said, same menu yet is different on each ship.

I dont have a fave dining room. I would skip dining room to telltruth but dh likes it.

Salad: not tons of choice so am going to say ceasar

Entree: sweet and sour shrimp I guess

appetizer: chicken satay(though was awful on Victory and great on Miracle)

dessert: the desserts to me leave a lot to be desired...on Victory they all seemed to consist of something with figs:confused:

I liked the Posh Dining Room on the Freedom. For breakfast, most of the time we had omelettes with raspberry danish. My husband likes all the fresh fruit. I like the Reubens in the Deli's. In the Pizza Staion, they make great calzones. I order a Ham & cheese one. Takes about 10 minutes. Very good. Pizza is usally good. We had some kind of macarroni thing. A couple different ones. One was Spaghetti Carbonara. Very good. Another one that I can't remember but great. The supper club is usually awesome. My husband had some kind of chocolate thing that had 3 different cups in a fancy dish. He said it was really good. I had some hot apple ??? that was really good. My favorite desert in the dining room is the Chocolate Melting Cake. I say if you can't find something you like on the cruise, you are a very fussy person. I am fussy and I always find stuff. Next year will be a new challenge. I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue in February of this year. That was my last cruise eating normal. I have already checked and they have a Gluten Free Menu that is supposed to be very good. Just keeping my fingers crossed. The Fish & Chips on some of the ships were great. Some were so so. Have a great time no matter where you go and what ship you do. We tend to stick to the newer ships and bigger ones. The oldest one we did was FAntasy and small. I think it was 7 years ago. We liked Gory and did that twice. We did Liberty when it just came out. Elation was ok. That was just a short cruise. Legend was okay but it rocked a lot that week. Freedom was our favorite of Carnival's. Everyone likes different types of ships. That is how we all learn. Have fun. Sorry didn't mean to ramble on.

Favorite dining room: Lincoln (midships) on Valor.

Appetizer: West Indian pumpkin soup.

Salad: Caesar (except the night they serve the tomato/mozzarella salad as an appetizer - then I order 2 appetizers and skip the salad).:)

Entree: Lobster tail on formal night, otherwise Chateaubriand.

Dessert: Creme Brulee.

I know you weren't asking WHICH dining room.;)

salad? ... Mongolian Steak Salad at lunch in dining room

entrée? ... Chilean Sea Bass and Beef Wellington

appetizer? ... Duck - oh so good - order two!

desert? ... The French pastries at lunch in dining room

Hey Hot2 - Retired chef from Commander's Palace, so you know I know food.:D I like the food on the ships that leave from N.O. (my hometown) best because they seem to put a bit more 'cajun' in their cuisine. The food was better on the Holiday when she was in N.O. than it is now that she's in Mobile.

Someone mentioned Maine lobster and Porterhouse steak - neither of which are available on Carnival ships (nor RCCL nor Princess, in my experience).

Someone mentioned Maine lobster and Porterhouse steak - neither of which are available on Carnival ships (nor RCCL nor Princess, in my experience).

i think the lobster in the supper club is from Maine. Also, they do serve a porterhouse there too, or at least they did; I had one two years ago on the valor.

Maine lobster on Princess? Maybe- I know that a year ago, Princess, on their website, said that they did. On my '06 Golden Princess cruise, the lobster was excellent, on my last cruise on the Dawn last Dec, it was small and rationed!

I hope I just had one "off" cruise.

That may be the case.

On our Inspiration cruise (March 07) I thought the food seemed lacking and thought it might be due to cut-backs. But when we sailed the Legend this March, the food was back to awesome again.

Like others have said, same menu yet is different on each ship.

I dont have a fave dining room. I would skip dining room to telltruth but dh likes it.

Salad: not tons of choice so am going to say ceasar

Entree: sweet and sour shrimp I guess

appetizer: chicken satay(though was awful on Victory and great on Miracle)

dessert: the desserts to me leave a lot to be desired...on Victory they all seemed to consist of something with figs:confused:

Just curious...did you like anything???

Oh Lord, after 20 years of cruising, I can recite the menus. The only thing that seems to be changing is the quality. I hope I just had one "off" cruise.

After 20 years of cruising I have never seen or experienced a 'bad' menu, or had an 'off' cruise. I am however, looking forward to your recitation of all of the menus! Recite away!! :)

Archived