how far ahead to book a ships tour?

amanda blake

If I book a ships tour I usually do so once I have made my final payment or at about 60 days for the excursion. At that time I am committed to the trip and am decided and ready to start the spending to secure the costs for the enjoyment of the trip and have them paid before I go since I use AmEx for these kinds of things. And I am sure I have a booking for the excursion I want. This leaves me AmEx clean and free at cruise time for walking around costs in port for purchases or other special items.

One thing to understand about me before I respond - I'm a bit Anal !As you can see below we sign up pretty early for cruises and I love thinking and planning about them. For me It's half the fun.I start looking at the excursions as soon as I make a deposit and read pn the Port and them start picking. Once I make my final paymet I select my tours. I'e never been blocked out that early and if I change I do so. An experience that may relate: we went to Panama (not a transit) and I wanted to take the train tour if the canal but our travelmates said we should wait until we got onboard to signup and takk about it. we did and it was fikked up and we never made it. a tiur I really wanted.So I sign up early or we go on our ownDenny

I tried to send this via my palm pilot after a few wines and messed up lots of words!But the point is if it is a SPECIAL tour sign up early.I know the ship tours are more expensive so if you feel you have 'control' over the tour and can get back easily then go on your own or a private tour. If not I recommend a ship tour.Den

any opinions here?

You can cancel your shore excursion reservations for a full refund up until (about 90% sure) 10 days before the cruise. I tried to find the exact number on the X website, but had no luck. But with being able to cancel for a full refund, I'd book as soon as I decided what I wanted.

We book as soon as we decide we're interested. Shore excursions do sell out (although not often) so waiting might save you use of the money for a little while, but no other benefit.

As CBYX mentioned you can always cancel for a full refund. They indicated something like 10 days before the cruise but that just applies to pre-cruise cancellations. You can still cancel for a full refund after the cruise starts up to the "closing date" for a particualr port of call. This is usually in the evening two days before your arrival at the port of call - the exact cut off is announced in the daily newsletter on the ship. If you cancel on board you'll get the refund as a credit to your on-board account.

I agree with Denny, don't wait until you are on the ship, book them when they become available. You can look at a list now, but all may not be available on your particular cruise. Also make sure once booked they show up on your voyage account. I once booked some on NCL over the internet and when I got on the ship they had no record and one of them was sold out.

We are sailing the Western Med. on Sept 8,2008. We booked a private tour in March and have booked the ship tours June 5 online. Our final payment for the cruise is due June 15.

Nothing left to do but pay the bills.

We also booked as soon as we can for the ones we know we want & don't want to chance it gettig sold out... we may book others later if we are not so sure..

Putter dude--what ship are you taking in Jan 2020?--We are booked for Constellation exotic carib--14 days

Good advice on booking the exursions early, as many do sell out. However, it is equally important to cancel as soon as you know that you won't take that excursion so someone else can fill that slot.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

We are sailing on Jan 3, 2009 on the Mercury Panama Canal cruise. When can we reasonably expect the excursion brochures to be available on the website to make reservations?

Someone on this thread mentioned 180 days but I had thought it was closer to 120 days.

I'm an early booker, too! As soon as the shore excursion list comes out I begin sorting out the ones I want and book 30-45 days before the cruise. Mostly I book early to make sure I get the excursion and time (if there is a choice) that I want, plus I save myself from standing in the long lines at the ship's excursion desk.

I'm taking my first Celebrity cruise next April and assume the excursion list comes out 60 days prior to the cruise, right?

Do check into private tours...you can find out about them here on this Cruise critic website...check into each & every port you're going to for Advice. You will find private tours much cheaper and better than busloads of ships passengers. usually you can see what you want to see, and when, and in far greater comfort. It is also possible to "Google" the cities, asking for private tours in each...then ask advice on these Cr. Critic forums about the various guides. Setting up group tours is possible on the various "Roll Calls"

Archived