Locked out of cabin

49er

This has probably been posted before but I thought I would pass it on anyway... We just got off the Emerald and encountered a problem with cabin's door lock. Our card key would not open the door! As it turned out, the battery in the door's lock had died. We had noticed an amber light would flash right after the green for a few days before we were locked out. We were told by the gentleman who replaced the battery that this is the indicator for a soon to be dead battery. We also had a the same thing happen to the in-room safe at our hotel in Barcelona. It just went dead with no warning. Pretty scary not being able to get to your passport.

49er

We had the "dead battery" experience with our safe on Summit last Feb. It bit the dust while we were getting ready for formal night, and I couldn't get out my bling.:( Called our cabin steward, and she was there with a maintenance guy within about 3 minutes to replace the battery. No big.... Still got to wear my bling; tragedy averted!;)

This has probably been posted before but I thought I would pass it on anyway... We just got off the Emerald and encountered a problem with cabin's door lock. Our card key would not open the door! As it turned out, the battery in the door's lock had died. We had noticed an amber light would flash right after the green for a few days before we were locked out. We were told by the gentleman who replaced the battery that this is the indicator for a soon to be dead battery. We also had a the same thing happen to the in-room safe at our hotel in Barcelona. It just went dead with no warning. Pretty scary not being able to get to your passport.

49er

Thanks for educating me, anyway. Now I know if I see an amber light to call and tell them to fix it before we get locked out :) I think these types of postings are the most helpful.

We did get new cards first to no avail. The steward uses a "master card" and probably never looks to see the green light. Technology is great until there is no "juice":-)

49er

Back when I managed a hotel, the dead door battery thing is one of the things that "just happens"... and, I changed my share of them, when the maintenance guy was not available!

Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get that taken care of! :p

We had the "dead battery" experience with our safe on Summit last Feb. It bit the dust while we were getting ready for formal night, and I couldn't get out my bling.:( Called our cabin steward, and she was there with a maintenance guy within about 3 minutes to replace the battery. No big.... Still got to wear my bling; tragedy averted!;)

This happened to use in a hotel once. When the maintenance guy opened the safe in 3 minutes, we decided to use the front-desk safe for a few the the valueables. The in-room safe didn't seem as "safe" after that incident.

My card stopped working on my Prinsendam cruise -- it wouldn't open the door and it wouldn't open the safe. I had to go to the Pursar's Desk to get a new card. They were snippy and told me that I had to use my credit card to open the safe, not my cruise card. I told them that my credit card(s) were IN the safe and I planned to keep them there unless I went ashore and that if the cruise card stopped working, I'd be back for another card.

Archived