Help please - "old lady" swimwear

jjones

I have had really good luck with swimwear from Newport News.. good support and smoothes the rough spots too. I like to be covered up too .. and I have several of the one pieces. Another fun site is Esther-Williams.com .. nice suits, good suport and really fun designs.

I am 68 and need a bathing suit. I have shopped Land's End and local stores but have not been able to find a one-piece with adequate support and coverage. Any recommendations?

Absolutely!! Go to catherines.com and check out their bathing suits. I just bought one in the store, so see if there is a store near you.

They have one piece, with or without the skirts, and they have great two piece suits so you can get the shorts and tops to fit separately.

I bought a skirted one, and I really like it. The cover-ups are nice, too.

TJ Maxx and Marshalls usually have a nice selection of styles and sizes. I'm 61 myself, and I always get my swimsuits at one of these stores. They have some nice suits from famous designers. My last purchase was a Michael Kor's bathing suit and matching cover up! $20 for a $125 suit and $15 for a $50 coverup!!!! Oh, by the way, I'm no longer the skinny little thing I used to be. We're talking double digits size-wize here!:D

I am 68 and need a bathing suit. I have shopped Land's End and local stores but have not been able to find a one-piece with adequate support and coverage. Any recommendations?

Check Mervyn's and Kohl's - they're always having great sales.

Laurie

The problem I have with any store except Roamans or Catherines is their large sizes are skimpy. When it comes to a bathing suit, you want the girls to be comfy and stay put, right? :D

I forgot to mention the Catherines (and probably the other) swim dresses have this great "Spanx-ey" type fabric under the skirt from just under the bust to the top of the panties. Mine is flesh colored, and it's a great smoother and shaper. The panties are the same fabric as the skirt, and the top is a multi-colored fabric with a built-in bra. I really love this suit because the "Spanx-ey" part holds in the tummy nicely.

• 4 years later...

Try out swimsuitsforall online (http://swimsuitsforall.com) They have a great selection of suits from size 8 to size 34 and they have all different styles for younger women, older women and everyone in between. I have been shopping with them for about six years now and have never been disappointed in their items. They have great built in bras for support and many of their suits have adjustable straps on them for better support and a right fit. They have tank suits, swimdresses and tankinis. They also have a great selection of cover ups in different colors and styles.

They have a great return policy too for even exchanges. If they don't fit you right, just request their postage paid label and they will take them back at their expense and ship back at to you at their expense. Makes trying on suits in the privacy of your home very easy. Most of their suits also have support garments built in for them...but they aren't stiff or uncomfortable.

Try them out! :) I bought six of them for my last cruise on the Allure a few weeks ago and they worked perfectly!

It's always best to TRY ON swimsuits...that's why I don't buy online, unless it's something I'm replacing that I KNOW fits! Too much time, trouble and expense to return the wrong size/shape/color!

Go to a store....try it on! If you're going to spend any time in the sun/pool, you want to feel good and have a suit that fits!

It's always best to TRY ON swimsuits...that's why I don't buy online, unless it's something I'm replacing that I KNOW fits! Too much time, trouble and expense to return the wrong size/shape/color!

Go to a store....try it on! If you're going to spend any time in the sun/pool, you want to feel good and have a suit that fits!

Those of us who live in cold weather states do not have loads of swimsuits in the stores right now. Our stores are selling sweaters, boots, gloves, scarves etc :) It'll be a little while until they bring out the 'cruise wear' swimsuits.

I have had really good luck with swimwear from Newport News.. good support and smoothes the rough spots too. I like to be covered up too .. and I have several of the one pieces. Another fun site is Esther-Williams.com .. nice suits, good suport and really fun designs.

I went to Newport News and found out they are now Spiegel?

I had no idea Newport News was 'absorbed'.

Archived