Guarantee balcony question

Pumpkin_va

If you are looking to save money and don't care WHERE you are on the ship, then this is the way to go. If your accomodations really make or break your vacation, you will want to book a specific cabin, in a location that you desire.

Sometimes, gty's will get some kind of an "upgrade"--sometimes...not always!!!

Other times, you are put in the absolute worst area of the ship...it's a gamble--that's why it's cheaper!

thanks for the feed back on this ... i kinda figured this was the norm, but hubbie felt that it was good to hear from the veteran crusiers on this subject, we just wanted to feel it out :D on all levels

We have booked a balcony guarantee just one time, on our Christmas/New Years cruise this past year. We were upgraded 4 categories. :) We aren't picky at all about where our cabin is located, and were very happy with the upgrade. It was slightly forward, but excellent deal for the price!

We have booked a balcony guarantee just one time, on our Christmas/New Years cruise this past year. We were upgraded 4 categories. :) We aren't picky at all about where our cabin is located, and were very happy with the upgrade. It was slightly forward, but excellent deal for the price!

Can someone please explain what it means to be upgaded a certain number of categories? I'm clueless. I have a balcony guarantee booked for the Carnival Freedom for my Jan 11, 2009 cruise. Lets say, I happened to get upgraded four categories, where would that put me on the ship?:confused: Also is January considered slow or peak season for cruising and would that effect whether I get an upgrade or not? Don't get me wrong, it's my first cruise and I'll be happy wherever they put me. I just want somewhere on that ship. I am curious about a possible upgrade though.:D

Can someone please explain what it means to be upgaded a certain number of categories? I'm clueless. I have a balcony guarantee booked for the Carnival Freedom for my Jan 11, 2009 cruise. Lets say, I happened to get upgraded four categories, where would that put me on the ship?:confused: Also is January considered slow or peak season for cruising and would that effect whether I get an upgrade or not? Don't get me wrong, it's my first cruise and I'll be happy wherever they put me. I just want somewhere on that ship. I am curious about a possible upgrade though.:D

balconies on carnival are category 8. each deck represents a category.

the lowest cat8 balcony are on the upper deck- these are category 8A.

go to the empress leval and its category 8B-- each deck higher represents another letter.

By reading these boards one would think that everyone gets upgraded- most get upgraded within the category--oceanview to oceanview..inside to inside.

Its your firt cruise so you have nothing to compare it to- Empress deck is the best since it is sandwiched between cabin space and away from public areas.

There are lounges that play music on the promanade deck--which could have a impact on certain cabins on the Upper deck.

On the lido deck is the pools.(chairs) having a cabin directly under that area you will be able to hear scraping chairs.

You also dont want to be under any kitchens-- (buffet area) Although the buffet area itself is carpeted you wont hear nothing.

MOST sailings sail at full. When it gets closer to sailing and many cabins are available they are released to residents at a cheap cost.

We've used guarantees a number of times and always been pleased. However, we're not picky about location.

Our first was on Carnival Valor and we had an 8D on the Lido deck. Great location!

We have never been bumped up to the next cabin type (inside to oceanview, oceanview to balcony, etc.) with a guarantee. But, it happened when we were booked for a specific inside on Celebrity Horizon and ended up with a huge oceanview for a 10 night Panama cruise.:D

Charlie

The downside to a guarantee is that you can be placed in what you might consider a bad location (above a lounge where you can hear some music through the floor, really far away from the elevators, etc). I've never been upset with the outcome of my balcony guarantee ... seems like a small risk to perhaps save a little money and maybe get a small upgrade.

We got a balcony guarentee for the first time for our upcoming cruise on the Tahitian Princess to Alaska. We booked about 6 weeks ago and just got our cabin, about 5 weeks before we sail. We booked category BD and got upgraded to BC.

I take a balcony guarantee whenever I can...Typically a very good price...and, have you ever tried to figure out the "worst balcony cabin" on any ship? I'd take it just about any time--especially if I'm getting it for the price of an "ocean view" (which is typically about where these guarantees are priced)...

For me, it's a no-brainer...

Remember, even if you pick you're own cabin, unless you're booking early, there may not be that great a selection of cabins left...So, it's pick from among the remaining unbooked cabins versus letting them pick...like it makes a difference. In fact, you may be better off leaving it open--several cabins that were booked early come open around "final payment day" when some folks back out...You may get a better cabin that way...

Of course, I've usually gotten a better category than the guarantee...

The categories, for the poster who asked:

Virtually all cruise lines divide their cabins into categories...There are typoically four larger groupings--inside cabins, window or "ocean view" cabins, balcony cabins and suites...within each such grouping, there may be 3 to 5 "categories", depedning on the cruise line, either having a letter, number or combo designation--like the suites will all be called something like "Owner's Suite", "Sky Suite", "Junior Suite" or something like that and designated as categories OS, SS, JS...Then balcony cabins might be grouped as A1, A2. B1, B2, B3, then windows as D, E, F, G and insides as H, I, J and K...Something like that...or they may go with numbers--5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc... (differs with every cruise line)

Typically, the lowest category are inside cabins to the extreme front or back of the ship on the lowest passenger deck...These are given the lowest letter or number and priced at the bottom of the price scale--considered to be the least desirable...next lowest deck midship and next to lowest in the ends, then next declk midship...then next category will be higher deck insides...Then the lowest category window cabin will be lowest deck, etc....

this cruise doesnt sail till May 09 i know its early, I know this could be a 50/50 chance lol it doesnt seem tons cheaper <shrug> as being a first time crusier i just wanted to know about any the experiences and weigh the odds ( im more the have to know where im going to be person and hubbie is the opposite lol ( throw him in a tub with a pillow and a blanket and he'd be happy lol j/k):eek:

this cruise doesnt sail till May 09 i know its early, I know this could be a 50/50 chance lol it doesnt seem tons cheaper <shrug> as being a first time crusier i just wanted to know about any the experiences and weigh the odds ( im more the have to know where im going to be person and hubbie is the opposite lol ( throw him in a tub with a pillow and a blanket and he'd be happy lol j/k):eek:

Good News

There are no tubs. Hubby will have to make do with a bed:D

I really think you'll be happy with the guarantee.

Charlie

My mom booked a gurantee balcony on Holland America's Zuiderdam the first week of Feb. we were upgraded to a deluxe verandah suite...I never saw such a large balcony and room. So I say try guarantee, almost every one I know who did this got some kind of upgrade,,,maybe not as good as ours but an upgrade

We have only booked a guarantee once and it was way far forward, two from the bridge if I recall. There were very high seas on that cruise and I hated it - okay, maybe hate is a bit harsh, let's just say I wasn't thrilled with it. I would only book a guarantee if it was last minute or a cruise I really really wanted to go - how much is the difference between the assigned and the guarantee? But if this is your first cruise you won't know the difference anyway so I say save the money! :D

I've only booked a balcony guarantee once - on the upcoming cruise on the Star Princess. I got in on a special, where I got a BE guarantee for the same price as an unobstructed window cabin (which was what I was going to buy anyway). I got my cabin assignment a couple of weeks ago, and they upgraded me to a BA on Caribe! I'm one really happy camper about that! The BE cabins looked fine to me, but the BA looks more than fine. :)

Archived