Princess DOES have a heart

Viola

A friend and I took cruise on Diamond P rt LA to Hawaii, 14 day. The ship came up with a virus which quarantined about 100 cabins. My friend came down with a 1 day diarrea the result of removal of her gall bladder and a very rich Veal Scaloppini(sp). This has happaned to her a couple of times when we have cruised together. She did not have immodium so sent to doctor to get some I TOLD HER NOT TO. Without listening to her explanation they slapped into 48 hour cabin "jail". What about ME. I knew she was OK but if they thoutht she was so contagious why was I still in the cabin and all over the ship. She was perfectly fine but had to be on special diet. Cabin sanitized 2 x a day. She missed 2 ports, 1 excursion and paced the room. She wrote a very nice letter stat6ing her position on the mattere. They refunded a full 2 day which came to almost $300. I thught that was fair. Butwarning, be careful what you go to doctor for. They have the power of God.

I am so sorry for your friend. My son had his gallbladder removed for stones a couple of months ago and, of course, you cannot be exactly the same missing a major organ. Whenever someone has a serious illness like this, it behooves you to always carry the Immodium-AD.

I had colitis once and it does leave scar tissue on your intestines. I have the immodium tucked away in my car glove compartment, in my wallet, desk drawer at work, & medicine cabinets at home, as well as the luggage in my garage.

Lesson Learned by Friend: Always carry your own meds.

That does seem quite generous of Princess to give credit for those days.

I had my gall bladder out almost 3 months ago. I went on a cruise a month after and didnt have any problems. About 3 weeks ago certain things I ate have now started to bother me. UGGGHH!! I guess I will start packing the imodium and watch what I eat. I would hate to be quarantened when it wasnt something contagious especially on a cruise.

Oh well while we are comparing gall bladders, or rather the lack of them. I had mine out April 28 and have not had any problem so far eating or drinking anything :p

Sure hope it stays this way but will remember to pack the Immodium for the next cruise just in case.

I had my gall bladder out back in 1987 and there are days when I can go out to eat and be fine then go back to the same restaurant and have it upset my somach. Last year I took meds with me on our curise but I was careful what I eat.

It was nice of Princess to refund some money.

Christine

I had mine out two or three years ago and find the fat intolerance with its associated symptoms builds for a year or two and then seems to stabilize.

I'm glad this came up -- I hadn't thought about it, but I guess I'd better before I cruise!

Good tip regarding the doctors and I'm glad Princess made right on the mistake.

I've got chronic Crohn's disease (and had surgury 3 months before a 2005 cruise). I carry a note from my doctor stating that it can cause similar conditions to infectious disease but is not. I've never had to produce it.

We noticed the last time we cruised that the health form asks if you've developed symptoms in the last two weeks, rather than if you've had symptoms. We think it changed, but maybe it's always been that way.

I think that carrying a note from the doctor is a very good idea. You can't fault the ship's doctor for being over-cautious in regard to protecting all of the other passengers. I'm sure a lot of folks say something like "I'm really okay ... it was just something I ate!" when, in truth, they're really sick but don't want to impact their cruise. The note would be very helpful!

What about ME. I knew she was OK but if they thoutht she was so contagious why was I still in the cabin and all over the ship.
:cool:

Good point!

I guess you took extra precautions not to come down with the Norovirus.

It was nice of Princess to refund some money.

Christine

That does seem quite generous of Princess to give credit for those days.

Hmmmm. Generous? Princess?

My wife was also confined to our cabin for 2 days of a 7 day caribbean cruise - while we were certain that the cause was a very spicy "chimichanga" at lunch soon after an appendix operation (which, apparently, weakens the stomach lining).

Not only no credit given, but we have been sent a bill for the medical treatment (which was treatment for noro - therefore the wrong treatment anyway)

Under UK law, we would have a case for false imprisonment.....

Ah well, we're back on the same ship in July - we will ask a few awkward questions from the Captain's Circle Hostess.

After all, this is the ship that charged me $75 for internet when it should be free (CC "Elite" perk)... what next - a bill for the free mini-bar?

My wife was also confined to our cabin for 2 days of a 7 day caribbean cruise - while we were certain that the cause was a very spicy "chimichanga" at lunch.

Not only no credit given, but we have been sent a bill for the medical treatment (which was treatment for noro - therefore the wrong treatment anyway)

Ah well, we're back on the same ship in July - we will ask a few awkward questions from the Captain's Circle Hostess.

If it was actually NORO that your wife was treated for then there is no charge.

When you sail you agree to abide by the policies, even in the UK they confine people to their staterooms. Are they jailing cruise line employees there now for this?????? :rolleyes:

you're better off getting your own medicine at store, or on shore than the med unit,they either quarantine you, or send you off ship,you could get better health care in south africa, then the ships doc jmo:)));)

A friend and I took cruise on Diamond P rt LA to Hawaii, 14 day. The ship came up with a virus which quarantined about 100 cabins. My friend came down with a 1 day diarrea the result of removal of her gall bladder and a very rich Veal Scaloppini(sp). This has happaned to her a couple of times when we have cruised together. She did not have immodium so sent to doctor to get some I TOLD HER NOT TO. Without listening to her explanation they slapped into 48 hour cabin "jail". What about ME. I knew she was OK but if they thoutht she was so contagious why was I still in the cabin and all over the ship. She was perfectly fine but had to be on special diet. Cabin sanitized 2 x a day. She missed 2 ports, 1 excursion and paced the room. She wrote a very nice letter stat6ing her position on the mattere. They refunded a full 2 day which came to almost $300. I thught that was fair. Butwarning, be careful what you go to doctor for. They have the power of God.
I think this is extremely generous. Since it's happened before, I'm not understanding why she isn't more careful or didn't pack her medications, even OTC which makes Princess' gesture even more generous and exceptionally fair. Heck, I got very, very sick last November due to unsanitary conditions at a Princess overnight hotel in Jerusalem which loused up one tour, missed two ports and stayed in my cabin for four days, leaving the next day only because we were disembarking. I was still so weak from having been so sick that I spent the entire day in bed in my Venice hotel, only going out for a short while that evening. I got a whopping $20 refund for the tour.

I think that carrying a note from the doctor is a very good idea. You can't fault the ship's doctor for being over-cautious in regard to protecting all of the other passengers. I'm sure a lot of folks say something like "I'm really okay ... it was just something I ate!" when, in truth, they're really sick but don't want to impact their cruise. The note would be very helpful!
I agree. A note would have been helpful.

PLEASE don't avoid going to the doctor/nurse out of fear of being confined to your cabin. They do that to protect the other passengers. It's the passengers who do have an intestinal "bug" and self-medicate that spread it through the ship. I, for one, don't want people who are sick wandering the ship and touching things.

I don't know if the UK passage contract is any different, but in the one you get here in the US you agree that the captain has the right to confine you to your cabin. There's lots of fun little things like that in there - you should give it a look :D

I, too, suffer from occasional gastric upsets. I was on the Dawn in December '06, when Noro was around. Quite a few passengers were quaratined, and several chose to leave the ship and return home. I was disgusted at the behavior of some selfish passengers after the final port visit, who ignored their instructions and went running around the ship spreading the virus to those of us who were not sick (yet). There were frequent pages, pleading for passengers to return to their cabins, but some paid no attention. They knew that the next port, two days away, was home, and they weren't worried about others getting their virus! After all - it's their vacation, right?:mad: Most Princess ship's passenger lists include a large number of senior citizens. Contacting Noro-virus is no joke for them. They are more easily dehydrated than younger folks, and it can actually be fatal in a few rare cases! Please, folk, if you are quarantined, follow the rules.

My wife was also confined to our cabin for 2 days of a 7 day caribbean cruise - while we were certain that the cause was a very spicy "chimichanga" at lunch soon after an appendix operation (which, apparently, weakens the stomach lining).

After all, this is the ship that charged me $75 for internet when it should be free (CC "Elite" perk)... what next - a bill for the free mini-bar?

So when you are going to go on a Mexican Riveria trip? That seems to be the only one you have not been on. Just kidding, I would have loved to been on all the cruises you have, very inspiring to me.

When I told my DR. that I was going on a cruise in Cct. he told me to remind him for a prescription of Immodium, he says it is better to be safe then sorry. I had my gallbladder out in 1984 and I have never had any problems with foods since, but before that, there was so much I could not eat. This is one surgery I was glad to have.

Did you ask about the internet charge BEFORE you got off of the ship?

As for the diarrhea - they have every right to quarrantine you to your cabin in the best interest of the other passengers. No false imprisonment in their part - it is in the passenger contract. The Captain has the final say on the safety of the other passengers.You are on the company's terms when ever you board a ship. Noro (even in your wife's case possibly not noro) can spread like widfire and sicken and even kill passengers who can not tolerate the insult to their body.

I don't know if the UK passage contract is any different, but in the one you get here in the US you agree that the captain has the right to confine you to your cabin. There's lots of fun little things like that in there - you should give it a look :D

The Passage Contract is the same for Brits or any other countries citizens. It is an American ship.

Are you sure the $300 credit given was not just for the missed shore excursions you had booked and paid for? First time I have heard of credit being given due to illness - confined to cabin. Missed shore excursions due to illness and weather/seas conditions, yes.

Bit strange to me. Ah well, off to pack my bags, boarding Sun Princess Thursday, hope the noro they had a few weeks ago has gone.

Cheers..Les:cool:

The Passage Contract is the same for Brits or any other countries citizens. It is an American ship.

Actually, correct me if I am mistaken but the ships are all of Bermudan registry......The passage contract is rather lengthy, but it does pay to read it.

I ready somewhere on a previous posting that the ships shops do NOT carry Immodium and they report passengers who ask for it...which would be a sign of the Nor Virus, but some people just have a sensitive stomach with new and rich foods that may not be part of our day to day diet...I understand the precaution, but never travel without your own meds...Immodium, Pepto, even Tylenol, etc...takes up no room, and much cheaper to bring from home - glad the original poster's friend experienced "the right thing" for Princess to do.

She did go to shop that carries Immodium...but guess what. They took it off the counter forcing her to go to doctor. I guess she could have gone up and down deck begging for it. Believe me she will not forget it again. Only thing worse we forgot was corkscrew for wine. She was very good about it, more so that I would have. They called cabin every hour or two to see if she was there. She is exercise freak and even when cabin steward told her she could walk hallway (He knew she did not have it), she stayed inside. We are booked again on Golden next April and idea of letter from doctor is good idea although doubt if they would honor it. I think Princess did handle the situation they onl y way they could. Pat just got caught in the net.

Archived