Tell me about Palm Cove, Australia

Hi - We have decided to spend a week in Cairns pre-cruise and focus on diving and snorkelling on the Reef.

We will be staying in Palm Cove. Has anyone stayed there?

Would love to hear all about it. Thanks.

Sandra

We stayed in Palm Cove a while back and loved it. The beach was good although we didn't spend too much time just hanging out as we spent more time touring around and going out to the reef. Just make sure you have a car as you're going to need it to get around.

We were so happy that we didn't stay in Cairns - no real beach, crowded, kind of dumpy in parts. We only ended up going down there to look around one afternoon and didn't have a desire to return.

Such a shame you can't swim at the beach between October and April!

The humidity will be incredibly oppressive also.

If you want to stay at a beach resort during the Australian Summer, South East Queensland or Northern New South Wales would be the places to go.

Save Palm Cove for May-September. JMHO.

Steve.

It's been a few years but we've been to North Queensland twice, staying right in Cairns on an organized tour the first time, but when we went back on our own, we chose to stay at Palm Cove. We loved it! Cairns is busy and active with lots to do and see but it doesn't give off that "beach resort" vibe that you'll get at Palm Cove. The resort we stayed at was actually a Marriott property at the time and it was just a wonderful place to base out of. Everything in Palm Cove was laid back and relaxed with great small restaurants that never seemed over crowded and the beach was wide and beautiful. We enjoyed just strolling up and down the Esplanade at night and taking in the views and meeting people from all over the world. One thing we noticed in our two stays was that Palm Cove seemed to have more seasoned tourists and less tour groups. There were a lot of Aussies and Europeans in Palm Cove, mainly there to relax and head out on tours. While in Cairns, it seemed to be more of the organized tour bus variety with busy streets and packed hotels. Also a lot of the hotels in Cairns seemed to focus on the abundant Asian tour groups coming through town and there were buses of people everywhere.

Again, that's just an observation from about 5 years ago and things might have changed since then. I know the resort we stayed at has changed hands numerous times since we were there but when I check back on what's going on there, it still seems really nice. We contemplated getting a rental car while in Palm Cove since it is off the beaten path but eventually decided not to fearing I might cause an international incident trying to drive there. We ended up not really missing a car. There were evening shuttles that took you into Cairns if you wanted to go there for dinner or shopping and we used them a couple of times. I'm not sure if they still offer that but it was convenient, quick and inexpensive. Also all tour companies offered to pick you up at your resort so if you wanted to go off siteseeing everyone would pick you up and drop you off right at your door. And honestly, by the end of the week, we just enjoyed staying in Palm Cove to relax because it was so pleasant there.

We have stayed at many beach resorts across the US, Mexico and the Caribbean and we thought Palm Cove ranked up there as one of the nicest we had ever been to. We hope to vacation in the area again someday and we would definitely stay there again.

Dave

Why can't one swim at Palm Cove beaches during Australian summer? We are planning to spend a few days there after our Cruise Feb 2009, while hopefully seeing the GBR- can we swim there? Should we make sure our hotel has a pool? Any recommendations for hotel and snorkel trip?

Why can't one swim at Palm Cove beaches during Australian summer? We are planning to spend a few days there after our Cruise Feb 2009, while hopefully seeing the GBR- can we swim there? Should we make sure our hotel has a pool? Any recommendations for hotel and snorkel trip?

There are deadly stingers in the water, plus, the odd croc. Go for the resort pool - much safer! :p

In the summer months, typically between November to May, marine stingers can inhabit the waters around Cairns. Some can give you a nasty sting, make you sick and in some cases, they can be fatal. Cairns City Council installs stinger resistant nets at all of the main Beaches (except Machans Beach) during the 'stinger season' and beaches are sign posted with warnings on these little guys. So, swim only in the netted areas. I would imagine most hotels in this area would have a pool. Not sure about the GBR - maybe someone can post on this. I guess anywhere you travel, you need to be aware of local dangers, eg entering water where there might be alligators in Florida. Don't be put off by this, the area has a lot to offer and I wish you a wonderful holiday in our beautiful country downunder!!!

janette:D

• 5 weeks later...
Hi - We have decided to spend a week in Cairns pre-cruise and focus on diving and snorkelling on the Reef.

We will be staying in Palm Cove. Has anyone stayed there?

Would love to hear all about it. Thanks.

Sandra

Have a look at Port Douglas closer to the reef.plenty of shops and hotels about 15 mile further

It's been a few years but we've been to North Queensland twice, staying right in Cairns on an organized tour the first time, but when we went back on our own, we chose to stay at Palm Cove. We loved it! Cairns is busy and active with lots to do and see but it doesn't give off that "beach resort" vibe that you'll get at Palm Cove. The resort we stayed at was actually a Marriott property at the time and it was just a wonderful place to base out of. Everything in Palm Cove was laid back and relaxed with great small restaurants that never seemed over crowded and the beach was wide and beautiful. We enjoyed just strolling up and down the Esplanade at night and taking in the views and meeting people from all over the world. One thing we noticed in our two stays was that Palm Cove seemed to have more seasoned tourists and less tour groups. There were a lot of Aussies and Europeans in Palm Cove, mainly there to relax and head out on tours. While in Cairns, it seemed to be more of the organized tour bus variety with busy streets and packed hotels. Also a lot of the hotels in Cairns seemed to focus on the abundant Asian tour groups coming through town and there were buses of people everywhere.

Again, that's just an observation from about 5 years ago and things might have changed since then. I know the resort we stayed at has changed hands numerous times since we were there but when I check back on what's going on there, it still seems really nice. We contemplated getting a rental car while in Palm Cove since it is off the beaten path but eventually decided not to fearing I might cause an international incident trying to drive there. We ended up not really missing a car. There were evening shuttles that took you into Cairns if you wanted to go there for dinner or shopping and we used them a couple of times. I'm not sure if they still offer that but it was convenient, quick and inexpensive. Also all tour companies offered to pick you up at your resort so if you wanted to go off siteseeing everyone would pick you up and drop you off right at your door. And honestly, by the end of the week, we just enjoyed staying in Palm Cove to relax because it was so pleasant there.

We have stayed at many beach resorts across the US, Mexico and the Caribbean and we thought Palm Cove ranked up there as one of the nicest we had ever been to. We hope to vacation in the area again someday and we would definitely stay there again.

Dave

Dave - It's still just as nice as you describe. We first stayed there back in 1990 and now this past June for a week. It has grown, but it is still very laid back and peaceful. :) I agree that the tour groups don't seem to stay there which enhances it for the rest of us. We did rent a car and it made life easier but you are correct in that all of the tour operators will pick you up at your hotel or apartment(condo). I've driven right hand drive on several occasions but its infrequent enough that I really have to concentrate, particulary on the roundabouts! :eek: The blue beach bus still runs along the Captain Cook Highway and makes stops in Palm Cove, Clifton Beach and other stops on its way to and from Cairns.

We look forward to going back to Palm Cove on our next trip back to Australia.

Mac

The stingers that people refer to are box jellyfish - they are deadly unless treatment is given quickly (there is an antivenom). They are found inshore over the summer but the outer reef is fine. There is also another danger one - Irukandji Jellyfish which does occur in deeper water. We swam at Green Island in January a couple of years ago and there were a lot of small annoying jellyfish which gave tingling stings. We have never had a problem on the outer reef areas.

I would not go in to water at the beach over summer at all, regardless of a stinger enclosure or net. Virtually all resorts have pools. There is also the occasional crocodile which can make its way from estuaries to the open sea - a friend watched what he thought was a large piece of driftwood but when it got closer it was a croc.

The stingers that people refer to are box jellyfish - they are deadly unless treatment is given quickly (there is an antivenom). They are found inshore over the summer but the outer reef is fine. There is also another danger one - Irukandji Jellyfish which does occur in deeper water. We swam at Green Island in January a couple of years ago and there were a lot of small annoying jellyfish which gave tingling stings. We have never had a problem on the outer reef areas.

I would not go in to water at the beach over summer at all, regardless of a stinger enclosure or net. Virtually all resorts have pools. There is also the occasional crocodile which can make its way from estuaries to the open sea - a friend watched what he thought was a large piece of driftwood but when it got closer it was a croc.

As a resident of Cairns for the last 12 years, I'd say this is a reasonable description of what it's like here in Far North Queensland. Although I've heard all the horror stories, I have never actually seen a crocodile (except at the croc farm) I've never seen a jellyfish (although us locals know when to keep out of the water). I have also been on a few reef trips and never had problems with jellyfish. I'm not aware of any hotels in either Cairns or Palm Cove that don't have a swimming pool. Palm Cove is an idyllic spot that is quiet and restful so if you just follow the rules posted at our beaches you will be safe and will enjoy your stay enormously (after all we are a friendly lot).:D:D:D:D:D

Archived