Booking # does not hold down the Fuel Surcharge

Just got a call from my TA about my upcoming cruise on the Vision. I had used a booking number I had gotten while on the Explorer in March, 2008. At that time the Fuel Surcharge was $5.

I booked the Vision in June and RC set the fuel surcharge on my TA invoice as $5 (I guess due to the booking # date). Now, when making the final payment, RC is stating the fuel surcharge is now $8 and will not back down. It won't keep me from going, but beware that a booking date no longer will hold down the Fuel surcharge.

I was surprised to read on the RC website that it's going up to $10 on June 30th

I had a next cruise reservation with a $5/day fuel charge and had to reschedule the cruise out a week due to a conflict. Yup - it went to $8/day plus they added a fuel charge to the 3rd person.

Lou

I booked a future cruise credit in October 2007, before any surcharge. When I used it to book a cruise two weeks ago, I was charged $8 a day.

No backing down from RCI on my booking either.

Matter of fact, another couple that booked with us also had a FCC that they used. At first, RCI did not charge a surcharge, but later called back the TA and informed him of the change. When the TA attempted to challange it, RCI's response was, "He's luckey it's not $10 !"

I plan to transfer a booking that I made last summer. My booking was fully deposited with a $900 payment. I had heard from friends that with the $100 future cruise slips, that it was not honored, as it was not a booked cruise with a full deposit.

So, now that I want to move a booking #, with a full deposit, I wonder if I will be nailed with the $8/day charge. I am planning on booking before it goes up to $10.

Anyone know?

I booked the SS for Oct 08 back a few months....... $5 FS....

Changed it to SS July 4th last month..........FS stayed the same

Got a price drop a few weeks ago............invoice now said -$80....(they owed me)

Changed cabin recently within same category.......

My CRuises now says I owe $18.........($3 a day(3 days) x 2 people)..........

Looks like cuz I made a change they also changed the amount of the FS.....

I dont think its right since final payment was quite a while ago........

Hi there. :) I'm guessing this was a "next cruise" reservation?

Hey Tony, it's been a couple years since we cruised together on the Grandeur.

Yup, We put $100 down for a future booking number. RC honored it when we booked the Vision back in June, even quoted the TA the $5 fuel charge. Now, this week, with final payment due they're saying no, it's now and $8 charge.

If this is the case, I will have my TA quote RCI the original press release which states that bookings made prior to Nov. 16 '07 but not yet paid in full will not be charged the fuel supplement. My cruise was booked in Aug. 2007 and the final payment is not until this Aug. RCI better honor thier original press release. It's not the money, but the principal.

If you think about it, it sort of makes sense--who knows what fuel prices will be when you actually sail. I'm surprised they don't wait until sail date to tell you what they will be charging for fuel. I mean, folks who book a year in advance are paying TODAY'S fuel rates...they could be double in a year!

If this is the case, I will have my TA quote RCI the original press release which states that bookings made prior to Nov. 16 '07 but not yet paid in full will not be charged the fuel supplement. My cruise was booked in Aug. 2007 and the final payment is not until this Aug. RCI better honor thier original press release. It's not the money, but the principal.

I'm pretty sure you're safe. In my case the fuel surcharge was up to $8 in June, but the on board booking deposit was made in March (when the fuel surcharge was still $5). When I used the deposit booking in June RC honored the booking date surcharge of $5, but now at final payment is due they said no, pay the $8.

:confused: confusing, isn't it

I used a Next Cruise deposit dated 11/9/07 when I booked our cruise last month and was charged the $5 per person surcharge. I also booked a cabin for my son and was charged the $5 per person surcharge for their cabin

Last week I was able to upgrade to D2's cheaper than the E1's, so I saved $ and got the larger cabins. I made sure that our booking numbers stayed the same. I called Resolutions because the rate on the website was lower than what the new invoice showed, and asked about the surcharge on the Next Cruise booking. The rep took it off without any hesitation or question.

I would call and ask for Resolutions to confirm what surcharge you should be paying. Never hurts to ask.

I'm pretty sure you're safe. In my case the fuel surcharge was up to $8 in June, but the on board booking deposit was made in March (when the fuel surcharge was still $5). When I used the deposit booking in June RC honored the booking date surcharge of $5, but now at final payment is due they said no, pay the $8.

:confused: confusing, isn't it

I never used the "Next Cruise" program since I was always skeptical about it. This just gives me another reason never to use it.

The fuel surcharge is based on the Date of sail, not the Reservation number.

If you book a reservation or get a number before that date, you are at that level of fuel charge, however if you change you sail date or ship at all (or fill an incomplete booking) The date you make the change is what the fuel surcharge will be.

I never used the "Next Cruise" program since I was always skeptical about it. This just gives me another reason never to use it.

I agree. I won't be using it either. Especially since you cannot apply any C&A coupon that might become available for the cruise.

For U.S. and Canadian bookings created between November 16, 2007, and April 30, 2008, a fuel supplement applies. The fuel supplement is $5.00 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-guest, per-day. The supplement applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom, up to a maximum of $70.00 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-guest, per-sailing.

For U.S. and Canadian bookings created on or after May 1, 2008, for first and second guests in a stateroom, the revised fuel supplement will be $8 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-day, and no more than $112 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise. Additional guests in a stateroom will be charged $3 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per day, and no more than $42 (U.S.D./CAN.) per-person, per-cruise.

Sea Ya On Board

john

I agree. I won't be using it either. Especially since you cannot apply any C&A coupon that might become available for the cruise.

Is this a new change change to the program because I have used C & A coupons on 2 of my Next Cruise bookings with no problem?

Is this a new change change to the program because I have used C & A coupons on 2 of my Next Cruise bookings with no problem?

Yes, fairly new..............I tried to use a coupon(a thank you for cruising with us one)

heres the email I got when I tried to combine it with a NC booking--->

Dear Guest,

Thank you for using our online Coupon Redemption Center!

We have received your Royal Caribbean International coupon as submitted.

We were unable to apply the coupon to this reservation for the following reason:

Coupon is not combinable with other coupons and /or onboard credit offers. We reflect that a coupon and / or an onboard

Credit has already been added to this reservation.

Please refer to the terms and conditions listed on the coupon for further information.

We reserve the right to inspect and examine any original coupon for verification. We reserve the right to disallow any credit for inappropriately duplicative submissions and those submissions which are inconsistent with the terms and conditions of the coupon.

Thank you and best regards,

Royal Caribbean International

If you think about it, it sort of makes sense--who knows what fuel prices will be when you actually sail. I'm surprised they don't wait until sail date to tell you what they will be charging for fuel. I mean, folks who book a year in advance are paying TODAY'S fuel rates...they could be double in a year!

Actually it doesn't make sense.

First, if the fuel surcharge was actually an attempt to offset the increase in oil, why the cap? Someone on a 14 day cruise pays the same as another person on a 35 day cruise. How can that be justified? Certainly it costs more to move a ship for 35 days then it does for 14.

And don't say the cap is good PR. Frankly, if someone can afford a 35 day cruise, the fuel surcharge is not going to dissuade them.

When this topic came up last fall, I thought it was just another way to add to the bottom line. Simply raising the price of the cabin would account for the same money, but would be a lot more palatable.

Second, don't forget that RCCL has the use of your money, interest free, from the moment you book the cruise and make the deposit. The whole point of paying for the cruise early is to lock in the price. Now the cruise lines simply increase the fuel surcharge and you're stuck. And remember, they tried to add the fuel surcharge retroactively (see PR comment above).

I am not a fan of the airlines, but they are in the same situation. Note that they do not (for now, at least) change their price, regardless of when you purchase the ticket. You pay the quoted price and it remains in place without any fuel supplement adjustment. If you make a change in the ticket, then watch out, but at least you know that going in as you are told there will be a charge.

I plan on buying my airline tix as soon as I can to lock in my flight before the price gets any higher. And, while it will get higher, I will be flying on todays fuel price while the airline uses my money for a year. I think that's a fair trade off. JMHO.

We made a next cruise booking in November 2007 and finally booked a cruise in April 2008 shortly after the new itineraries were released. We were told that we could not apply any C&A coupons or the $50 thank you coupon to our booking.

We made a next cruise booking in November 2007 and finally booked a cruise in April 2008 shortly after the new itineraries were released. We were told that we could not apply any C&A coupons or the $50 thank you coupon to our booking.

I know that the thank-you coupons cannot be combined with any other offer including platinum and diamond balcony discounts. Those coupons, in my eyes, are virtually useless you're a gold member who's not entitiled to any other type of discount. However, when I used my Next Cruise in March, I booked on the 11th and used a $150 coupon on the 31st along with my platinum balcony discount...all with no problem. I still have 2 Next Cruises that I haven't used yet that I booked in January where there were no such restrictions as to the use of C & A coupons. I will be ticked if they've changed the program. In my eyes, those of us who booked our Next Cruises before the changes took place should still be allowed to use the coupons and any other discounts that are available to us.

I booked NC on April 27 while onboard. My big mistake (and the Loyalty Ambassador didn’t warn me) was to book in ONE name only so I could just pay the $100 deposit. Had I booked in both names and paid the $900 deposit, I would have been fine. See the note in RED below.

Once I got home and had time to decide which cruise I wanted to take, I called and made a booking using the NC booking number. This was on May 13.

I received a "Booked Confirmation Invoice" with all the usual guest information and Cruise Charges. I was charged $5 per person per day for Fuel. (total of $55 per person) This was reflected in the Cruise Charges. However, on May 21 I had C&A apply a coupon. The Booked Confirmation Invoice I received reflected a change in the Fuel Supplement up to $8 per person per day, or a total of $88 per person. I am now paying $66 more for the fuel supplement.

On every Booked Confirmation Invoice I received, there is a paragraph typed in RED. This can be found right underneath the Cruise Charges section. Here is what it reads:

For individual bookings for which you provide us both full names and full deposits prior to 5/1/08, a fuel supplement of USD/CAN $5 per person, per day for the first two occupants in a stateroom (subject to a maximum of USD/CAN $140 per stateroom) will apply.

For individual bookings for which you provide us both full names and full deposits on or after 5/1/08, a fuel supplement of USD/CAD $8 per person, per day for the first two occupants in a stateroom (subject to a maximum of USD/CAN $112 per person) will apply. For any additional guests in the stateroom, a fuel supplement of USD/CAN $3 per person, per day for each additional occupant (subject to a maximum of USD/CAN$42 per person) will apply.

RCI listed on invoice the $200 (ADV2) OBC, the Platinum Balcony Discount ($200) and the C&A coupon discount of $225.

I plan to transfer a booking that I made last summer. My booking was fully deposited with a $900 payment. I had heard from friends that with the $100 future cruise slips, that it was not honored, as it was not a booked cruise with a full deposit.

So, now that I want to move a booking #, with a full deposit, I wonder if I will be nailed with the $8/day charge. I am planning on booking before it goes up to $10.

Anyone know?

From what was written on my invoice (see 1st paragraph in RED above), it seems you would not have to pay the higher fuel supplement.

RCI listed on invoice the $200 (ADV2) OBC, the Platinum Balcony Discount ($200) and the C&A coupon discount of $225.

I think you are fortunate to have been given the $225 C&A discount. RCI has made it quite clear in responses to questions that an "offer" (C&A coupons are considered an offer) cannot be combined with other "offers". An OBC for Next Cruise booking is considered an offer also. You are entitled to your balcony discount as that is a "benefit" of being at platinum level. You can combine multiple "benefits" on a reservation but you can only have one "offer".

Apparently this has been a rule for awhile but it is now being enforced. See the post from PH8 earlier in this thread. The response from RCI explains it.

I think you are fortunate to have been given the $225 C&A discount. RCI has made it quite clear in responses to questions that an "offer" (C&A coupons are considered an offer) cannot be combined with other "offers". An OBC for Next Cruise booking is considered an offer also. You are entitled to your balcony discount as that is a "benefit" of being at platinum level. You can combine multiple "benefits" on a reservation but you can only have one "offer".

Apparently this has been a rule for awhile but it is now being enforced. See the post from PH8 earlier in this thread. The response from RCI explains it.

The fine writing on the C&A certificate says NOTHING about not being able to combine with a NEXT CRUISE booking. It does, however, specifically say it cannot be combined with any other CERTIFICATE -- that would be the $50 Welcome Back Certificate. I think it would be a total misrepresentation of the Next Cruise program if the Loyalty Ambassadors wrote these up and didn't say something about "...and you know you can't use the C&A coupons with this..." I wonder what the fine writing on the Welcome Back Certificate says ?

I just came off of a cruise that was a NC booking and I had all of the discounts and OBC applied.

From the NextCruise Terms and Conditions:

3. Pricing, availability, and dining time to be determined at time of selection of ship and sailing date, and is subject to change.

We booked using our NC cert on 5/8 (put the deposit down on 11/13) and haven't been charged a fuel supplement. I argued with resolutions over being charged (he said I had already been charged it, but I added everything together and I wasn't charged). I hope that they don't decided to try to tack it on when I make final payment, that would really irk me!

Archived