food market near Civitavecchia

Hey all, sailing this Wed. Yahoo!!! I'm on a company transfer from Rome to the port so cant stop in between. Once at port can I grab a taxi tolocal market for snacks/water/wine to bring on ship? Also am I allowed to bring those items on the ship??

Lee Anne:)

Forget the taxi. At the Pier, take the free shuttle to the foot of town. It drops you off at the old Fort. Walk up the main street into town about 3 or 4 blocks. Then make a left and walk several more blocks. You will hit their big market area. It covers several blocks. There are lots of outdoor stalls and a section under a big cover. We found bottled water in the covered area.

If you get lost, just ask any local or follow some crew members. The crew goes there too. If you plan to buy a lot or heavy items just bring a wheeled carry on bag to fill.

We have on past cruises like to get some last minute things as well. One of them is a case of diet-coke in cans. I realize this is Europe, however does anyone have any knowledge of an American style supermarket/box retailer in any of the following ports: Civitavecchia/Naples/Dubrovnik ?

I've read the post concerning Venice and the co-op that is there.

TIA

Forget the taxi. At the Pier, take the free shuttle to the foot of town. It drops you off at the old Fort. Walk up the main street into town about 3 or 4 blocks. Then make a left and walk several more blocks. You will hit their big market area. It covers several blocks. There are lots of outdoor stalls and a section under a big cover. We found bottled water in the covered area.

If you get lost, just ask any local or follow some crew members. The crew goes there too. If you plan to buy a lot or heavy items just bring a wheeled carry on bag to fill.

Hi,

Does the market sell other items than food? Thanks.

Their market is predominantly food. They did have some stalls with clothing, shoes, toys, etc. But mostly produce. It's a typical market with individual stalls and umbrellas.

The only place I found to buy water was in the covered area. Bottles water was very cheap too. As I recall a6 apck of 1.5 liter bottles was about 1.5 Euros.

Can I get water bottles on the ship or do I have to pay for them??

Lee Anne:)

There is a charge for bottled water ON the ship.

We usually take our refillable sports bottles & fill up from the dispenser in the buffet

Here are three photos. One is of the outdoor market. The second is an olive bar located in the covered area. They sell water near the olive bar. The third photo is the shuttle bus stop by the Fort. Have a great trip.

Market.jpg.40ce725efc1245004c827bfdfff554a1.jpg

Olives.jpg.d7f01e078f4eeeaa182ff3914d3b7f66.jpg

s2.jpg.9c3de408778536f0330c8195a620d0dc.jpg

Thanks for the info & pics--looks like a great palce to visit before boarding--we are planning to stay overnight pre-cruise so hope we can find our way to this ,market! might also be a good spot to get some affordable snacks...

Is there a street name or name of the market to inquire about? Our hotel will be near the shipyard/pier

Before my cruise I stayed at the Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia. It is a mile or two Northeast of the pier. There were two actual supermarkets near the hotel located on Via Achille Montanucci. They are too far from the port area to walk. Also, they closed for several hours during the day.

If you use Google maps and search for Civitavecchia Italy you can spot the Fort near the pier using their Satellite photos. It also easily shows the main road into town from the Fort. (Largo Plebiscito).

If you are staying at a hotel near the port, I am sure they can direct you to a real market, or the open air market.

We went to town in the morning of our turn around day on a b2b and headed up that main street. We saw lots of locals carrying bags of food. We asked one where we could find the "Mercato". On the way we bumped into several crew members headed there too. One thing to consider, the outdoor market may also close sometime during the day.

Before my cruise I stayed at the Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia. It is a mile or two Northeast of the pier. There were two actual supermarkets near the hotel located on Via Achille Montanucci. They are too far from the port area to walk. Also, they closed for several hours during the day.

Hi Fblack,

We will also be staying at Hotel Traiano before our cruise in November. I'm glad to hear that there are two supermarkets near the hotel. I've looked at the map many times trying to find any markets or restaurants near the hotel. Thanks for the information.

Is it far to walk to the market or restaurants? Are there sidewalks? My husband will be using a mobility scooter so I hope that the traffic is not too bad. I've found two atm machines nearby also.

Did you walk to the port to sightsee?

Did the hotel pick you up from the airport? Did you use the shuttle to the port?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's difficult to find information about Civitavecchia.

Thanks alot,

Daju22:

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano last September for one night. We paid them to pick us up at the airport. Their price was much less than a taxi or limo. One of the owners, Alessandro, picked us up in his van. He will meet you right outside the doors leading from baggage claim. He had a sign with our name on it. They offer a free ride to the ship. Sign up as soon as you get to the hotel.

Look at the hotel using Google maps. The front door is on Via Fabio Filzi and Via Achille Montanucci. From the hotel, the main part of town and the shops are (West) down Via Achille Montanucci. This is a smallish, one way street. The sidewalks are narrow and non existent in some places. But with care a scooter should work. There is a very small coffee/snack shop a block away (North) from the hotel entrance.

The main street with lots of shops and small restaurants is about 6 or 7 blocks down (West) on Viale Guido Baccelli. The one way street down to Baccelli is a slight incline down. Not too steep. As you head West down Achille, there is a small market about two blocks down on the left. Another is 4 blocks down on the right. They closed at mid day for a few hours when we were there.

We found that most restaurants on Baccelli did not open until about 7:30PM except for a few small pizza take out places. The front desk at the hotel knows of one or two that open earlier.

The old Fort and the pier is a pretty good walk from the hotel. We were too tired to walk that far. Just take Baccelli to Corso Centocelle. They have maps at the front desk but they were too hard to read.

The hotel is actually pretty good. They have a very small lobby and elevator. The beds are very hard though, good A/C and we had a no smoking room. The bath is very small. Nice continental breakfast. If you arrive early the first day you can eat breakfast also. All in all it worked out well for a one night stay.

Aussie Bruce:

Sorry I never saw any..but I was not really looking. I know the ship laundry is expensive, but they usually have a special deal by the bag.

Why not send an e-mail to a local hotel near the pier and ask if a "lavanderia" is near the hotel.

Daju22:

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano last September for one night. We paid them to pick us up at the airport. Their price was much less than a taxi or limo. One of the owners, Alessandro, picked us up in his van. He will meet you right outside the doors leading from baggage claim. He had a sign with our name on it. They offer a free ride to the ship. Sign up as soon as you get to the hotel.

Look at the hotel using Google maps. The front door is on Via Fabio Filzi and Via Achille Montanucci. From the hotel, the main part of town and the shops are (West) down Via Achille Montanucci. This is a smallish, one way street. The sidewalks are narrow and non existent in some places. But with care a scooter should work. There is a very small coffee/snack shop a block away (North) from the hotel entrance.

The main street with lots of shops and small restaurants is about 6 or 7 blocks down (West) on Viale Guido Baccelli. The one way street down to Baccelli is a slight incline down. Not too steep. As you head West down Achille, there is a small market about two blocks down on the left. Another is 4 blocks down on the right. They closed at mid day for a few hours when we were there.

We found that most restaurants on Baccelli did not open until about 7:30PM except for a few small pizza take out places. The front desk at the hotel knows of one or two that open earlier.

The old Fort and the pier is a pretty good walk from the hotel. We were too tired to walk that far. Just take Baccelli to Corso Centocelle. They have maps at the front desk but they were too hard to read.

The hotel is actually pretty good. They have a very small lobby and elevator. The beds are very hard though, good A/C and we had a no smoking room. The bath is very small. Nice continental breakfast. If you arrive early the first day you can eat breakfast also. All in all it worked out well for a one night stay.

Thank you sooooo much for the directions!!! It's so hard to tell from Google where stores etc. are located. It's great to know that Montanucci is not too steep. I think the scooter will work well. He can walk, but not quickly and we use it for long distances. I really like to walk around the ports and see the local people. We have booked the ground floor accessible room. I think it has a courtyard patio. The only thing I was worried about was rain. We would have a difficult time with the scooter getting to a restaurant. They said they could order something for us if the weather is bad.

I'm not worried about the hard bed. We'll be too tired after the flight and I'm sure we'd sleep well anywhere it's quiet.

I'm glad you had no problems with the transfer from FCO and to the port the next morning.

How is the traffic around the hotel and restaurant area?

Do we need converters for the electricity?

Which restaurants did you eat in?

What time did you transfer to the ship?

I'm going to check out my google map now for the streets you mentioned!

Thanks again,

Hi Fblack,

One more question.....

After we go down the hill on Montanucci, what direction do we turn on Baccelli? Left or right to find Corso Centocelle?

I can't find Corso Centrcelle on the map.

:D thanks!

daju22:

Check this link. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=15277288148296507,42.091745,11.794119,16223584880891290740,42.093979,11.804887,16223584880891290740,42.093979,11.804887&saddr=Corso+Centocelle,+24,+00053+Civitavecchia+(RM),+Italy+(Farmacia+Palombo+Dr.+Vincenzo)&daddr=Via+Fabio+Filzi,+1,+00053+Civitavecchia,+Roma+(Lazio),+Italy+(Hotel+Traiano)&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=42.152205,11.841202&sspn=0.347683,0.838394&ie=UTF8&ll=42.09468,11.799939&spn=0.005438,0.0131&z=17

It takes you from the hotel down to the center of town and to Corso Centocelle. The map does not take the smaller street, Montanucci. When you head down Montanucci (against the one way traffic) you turn right at the bottom.

From the hotel, all the restaurants and shops are along Baccelli. We turned left to find one that opened at 6:00PM. The hotel has the name.

We did not use any electrical devises so check with the hotel about your needs. Be sure to tell them about the scooter if you will use their transfers. I am not sure how that would work. We took their 10:30AM transfer to the ship. As I said, sign up early.

I did walk the whole block around the hotel. It is not too busy and not much is there. I think I saw a sign that said Pizza near Via Lepanto.

daja22:

One more thing about the roads and sidewalks. While the main roads all have sidewalks, I don't remember if they have wheel chair type curb cuts for a scooter. Also, it seems that the sidewalks are often blocked with parked cars, trash, vendors and delivery vans.

Fblack,

Thanks so much for the Google map link. I don't think we'll have too many problems with the scooter. We were in the back streets of Cabo and we got around. Just a bit bumpy and on/off scooter when we got to curbs. I can lift the front end, then the back end to get over curbs. The hotel knows about the scooter and said they can handle it. We put it in our trunk. It only weighs 100 pounds and comes apart to load.

Thanks again for your time.

• 4 months later...

Archived