Port departure times

AKBeagleMom

Hi, it's me again. I thought of another question. If our ship is scheduled to be in port from 8 am - 5 pm, what time do we have to be back to the ship? We're trying to plan shore excursions, but want to make sure we don't miss the ship! Is there a set time they tell you to be on the ship (i.e., 1 hour before departure)?

TIA again for all the help!

Your daily bulletin from the ship will tell you that you need to be back on board 30 min before the ship is due to depart. EM

This is correct, but we always try to be back (or within sight of the ship, shopping :) ) an hour before sailaway.

This is correct, but we always try to be back (or within sight of the ship, shopping :) ) an hour before sailaway.

Good rule!

There is always shopping near the ship. You can pick up some last minute items and then slink slowly back onto the ship.

They usually have to drag me, kicking and screaming.:o

like said above its typically about 30 minutes before but be sure not too cut it too close...especially if you are in a port you are unfamiliar with...

No kidding ... plenty of people have found out the hard way how bad traffic can get around 5 in places like St. Thomas.

I try to be back in sight of the ship at least an hour before departure, especially if it is a tender port.

As you are leaving the ship, there should be a sign right by the exit which tells the All Aboard time. Check that sign as you leave just to make sure of the time to be back onboard the ship.

Be aware that sometimes ship time and port time is NOT the same (varies between ships, ports etc). The best thing you can do is set your watch to ship time and rely on that watch. I know that people have gotten in trouble in the past when they asked locals the time and didn't realize their ship was on a different time than the port. Also, don't rely on cell phone times as those frequently update to port time as well.

• 4 months later...

If you're unsure of making it back to the ship in time, book your excursions through the cruise line (if they offer it). I know Carnival monitors the excursions carefully to ensure everyone is back before the ship departs. It'll probably be more money, but it's worth it.

Archived