Art auctions at sea - buyer beware!

Cuizer2

Since FDR reads this forum, I hope other posters will chirp up with their opinions for his benefit. On our latest cruise, the only announcements besides relevant safety exercises or tendering were numerous ones on the Park West "art" program. I would like to see this activity and this firm was removed. Or at minimum, no announcements on board.

Frankly, I think Oceania should pay its passengers for subjecting them to the most ugly art on the planet, piles of it blocking the corridors and constant loudspeaker announcements heralding these auctions. They are a disgrace and do not belong on a cruise line like Oceania. But they are also found on Regent, owned by the same company so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to be discontinued. I say everyone should just go to the auction, take a glass of free champagne and walk out.

I say everyone should just go to the auction, take a glass of free champagne and walk out.

Well said, Wripro, but please, warn the people not to actually DRINK that swill.

I would suggest dumping it over the side, but it might take the paint off the hull.

Sweet Battery Acid.

I realize we are in the minority, but we usually enjoy the art auctions. On our last O cruise the auctioneer was just awful though and probably saved us some money. We've only bought things we liked and for prices we were willing to pay and looked at what we bought as a momento of the trip.

I'd rather buy a small painting by a "sidewalk artist" in Venice (for instance), as a memento of my cruise, than some overpriced "art" from an onboard art auction. Some passengers may consider them entertainment, but I find the constant notices and announcements surrounding the auctions as an unwelcome intrusion to the enjoyment of my cruise - seems to reduce the "classiness" of the cruise.

That's what we've done ... in Venice, Florence and Dubrovnik. We have a lovely painting from Dubrovnik that we bought from a young art student. We rolled it up, packed it and had it framed at home and graces our living room wall.

We do that as well, we have a lot of wall space! :D Alaska, Vancouver Island, Greece..... Oh the memories.... Every now and then we just happen to see something we like in those art auctions. We often have also had a lot of fun at them, a good auctioneer and crowd is a necessity for that though.

Since FDR reads this forum, I hope other posters will chirp up with their opinions for his benefit. On our latest cruise, the only announcements besides relevant safety exercises or tendering were numerous ones on the Park West "art" program. I would like to see this activity and this firm was removed. Or at minimum, no announcements on board.

There is another thread on this very subject over on the Regent board. Seems that Park West is stirring up resentment all over!

Since we pray that FDR will read both threads, perhaps there is still hope that this particular unpleasant feature will be discontinued. I know it is a "profit center" which implies that it contributes to the overall financial status of both Oceania and Regent, but......???

It was stated that Silversea had discontinued two particularly offensive on-board features, the Photographers and the Art Auctions. Oceania has already discontinued the Photographers, perhaps the Art Auctions are not far behind. :rolleyes:

We hate the Art Auctions though we did have a pleasnt gentleman representing Park West on our 35 day cruise from H.K. to Athens on the Nautica. He was very low key and didn't make a huge statement.

My pet hate is the art on the walls of the Nautica. None of it belonged to the ship, it was all the property of Park West and that to me showed that Oceania was using Park West to their own advantage. Instead they should have spent some of their money and bought some good art, something that HAL is noted for on all their ships. To me this was not what a 4.5 -5 star ship is all about and I was most disappointed that they hadn't put their own impression on the interior. I think the Tahitian Princess has more art and knick knacks around than the Nautica.

Jennie

While you will never find me at an onboard art auction, I don't mind walking by the stuff every day because I know Park West is paying Oceania for the privilege, which helps defray the cost of my cruise. What I don't understand is how PW can continue to hold these 'auctions', as it seems only a handful of passengers attend, and of those(judging by the annoyed voice of the auctioneer, who could be heard from the adjoining public area berating the attendees for not being smart enough to know a bargain when they see it), few are buyers.

Let's hope that this article will lead to the near term demise of art auctions on all ships!

Oh no - say it won't be so! We bought a lovely original Picasso by Van Gogh at a Park West auction, and it hangs regally in our 2nd bathroom (the one that is indoors).

Oh no - say it won't be so! We bought a lovely original Picasso by Van Gogh at a Park West auction, and it hangs regally in our 2nd bathroom (the one that is indoors).

Dang it Mike, you've got to quit that! I snorted so hard that my keyboard got a mouthful of Diet Pepsi! I'm still laughing -- partly because a "Picasso by Van Gogh" rings so true at the auctions!

That excellent article over in Cruisemates tells you a lot! That is, a lot of reason to avoid being swept up in any Art Auction.

Mike Brill's comment about buying an original Picasso by Van Gogh is not far from the truth. What are sold at these auctions are not "originals" - for the most part they can be termed as "multiples" or mass produced copies made by various processes (perhaps a room full of children held hostage by captors?) - one copying process is called "giclee" - an inkkjet printer process.

These "auctioneers" are not licensed, and the captive audience, weakened by cheap tinned Japanese "champagne", is pretty much at their mercy. Wouldn't be surprised if there were planted "shills" in the audience who were there to drive up the bidding.

However, having suffered through many cruises with "Art" cluttering up the hallways, loud and annoying announcements at lunch and dinner, further haggling at the Auctioneer's desk on deck five intruding on the enjoyment of the string quartet, I, for one, strongly recommend that this particularly unpleasant feature of Oceania Cruises be sent walking the plank!! :mad:

However, having suffered through many cruises with "Art" cluttering up the hallways, loud and annoying announcements at lunch and dinner, further haggling at the Auctioneer's desk on deck five intruding on the enjoyment of the string quartet, I, for one, strongly recommend that this particularly unpleasant feature of Oceania Cruises be sent walking the plank!! :mad:

I agree ...trying to listen to the lovely string quartet only to hear the Art guy talking so loudly you can hear him on the other side of the staircase.

Send him the way of the photographers.:rolleyes:

...My pet hate is the art on the walls of the Nautica. None of it belonged to the ship, it was all the property of Park West and that to me showed that Oceania was using Park West to their own advantage. Instead they should have spent some of their money and bought some good art, something that HAL is noted for on all their ships. ...

I was quite surprised to read this; I had read from a couple of different sources that FDR chose all of the art for his ships. I inferred from this that the art belonged to the ship. Certainly, much of what is mounted in the staircases, etc, appears to be quite permanent. Perhaps he chose from what Park West has available?

Druke 1, post #3 was certainly kind in comments about "Tiny Tim" the "Art" hustler on Nautica, loud, obstreperous & a general annoyance. We did back to back on Regatta last January & encountered the same bore. During our daily tranquil lunch he would interrupt on the intercom with a long winded fast talking announcement about the up coming auction we were not to miss, blah blah blah. Then as we went a few minutes early for a shore discussion talk he would run over 6 or 7 minutes ( now the room was filling up & he finally had an audience) at the conclusion he would publicly apologize to the port lecturer for running late.

These carnival hucksters should be kicked overboard ASAP. Perhaps we should have a No Art Auction Surcharge, be worth a few bucks to me.

We will do back to back on Nautica next January, hope Oceania has been cured of this disease by then.

Archived