Forced Overnight

Abe

I apologize if this question has been answered before but I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I booked a 2009 transatlantic cruise including air with Holland America. I asked for Airplus deviation because we're staying in Rome 2 extra days. Because we're flying from the west coast to the east coast (PHX - FLL) we were informed by HAL that we are required to have a forced overnight. That's fine - but I would prefer to book my own hotel and make my own transfer arrangements.

I was told by my TA that if I use HAL cruise air - I HAVE to use their pre-cruise hotel package. I called HAL myself and a rep said yes - I have to purchase their hotel package. I called a second time to ask a question about air deviation and the rep said if I'm requesting Airplus deviation - I did not have to use their pre-cruise hotel package. I'm being charged $478.00 for 1 night for 2 people including transfers. That seems pretty unreasonable for Fort Lauderdale.

Does anyone know for sure if forced overnight hotel packages MUST be purchased through HAL if you use their air package with Airplus deviation?

The airfare through HAL was so much cheaper than through the airlines directly but the extra $478 pre-cruise package almost makes it not worth it.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

I apologize if this question has been answered before but I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I booked a 2009 transatlantic cruise including air with Holland America. I asked for Airplus deviation because we're staying in Rome 2 extra days. Because we're flying from the west coast to the east coast (PHX - FLL) we were informed by HAL that we are required to have a forced overnight. That's fine - but I would prefer to book my own hotel and make my own transfer arrangements.

I was told by my TA that if I use HAL cruise air - I HAVE to use their pre-cruise hotel package. I called HAL myself and a rep said yes - I have to purchase their hotel package. I called a second time to ask a question about air deviation and the rep said if I'm requesting Airplus deviation - I did not have to use their pre-cruise hotel package. I'm being charged $478.00 for 1 night for 2 people including transfers. That seems pretty unreasonable for Fort Lauderdale.

Does anyone know for sure if forced overnight hotel packages MUST be purchased through HAL if you use their air package with Airplus deviation?

The airfare through HAL was so much cheaper than through the airlines directly but the extra $478 pre-cruise package almost makes it not worth it.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

It has been years (1998) since we used HAL air - flew down to Rio and did use their hotel as it was better than what we could do on our own -- air and hotel.

But that price for a hotel in Ft Lauderdale for one night is way too high.

I do not see why you would have to use their hotel even though you are using their air deviation.

You bet the cost of one night in FLL is too much. I just got the airport Hilton in FLL on Priceline for $87 total cost (winning bid $71 before taxes). I think HAL should be ashamed of themselves for charging pax that much. Happy Sailing!

Thank you all for your input.

I'm not sure - but I believe the hotel HAL uses in FLL is the Marriott North. I'd be just as happy in a Best Western or Comfort Inn.

I guess the real question still is whether or not it's MANDATORY to use HAL's hotel package if you use their air package.

Thanks again

If I were you, I'd take another look at booking my own air (look at Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, etc.) and hotel on-line and see what kind of price you can get. Yonnie's advise is spot-on, especially in FLL, you're always better off taking a cab to the port and back as opposed to the HAL bus

• 1 month later...

This sounds like the same cruise I have booked in March 09.

I too booked air with HAL. At the time there were no options for any hotels available. When I called and asked they said they didn't have that info yet, but the hotel cost in Rome was 750.00 per night and that was the cheapest one they offered. I was not told I had to book that with them, they said they'd let me know when they have the info.

I found hotels in Rome for 200.00 per night.

Whats really odd here is, all flights I checked from Rome are early in the morning, conflicting with when the ship comes in..... we HAVE to spend another night, change the flight date, and will be charged for air deviation?

Florida will be the same for us, as we are coming from Ca also, and there is no way it can be done the day of sailing, we HAVE to spend a night. This worries me as from a past cruise on HAL, we didn't get any flight info sooner than 2 weeks before the sail date.

I booked online, it gave me problems and it ended up being booked on the phone thru HAL. As a result of that, they have no info online. Looks like I need a TA to take it over?

If you register with these two sites, indicating departure city and destination, they will automatically send a daily email with best fares out there, including unpublished deals.

airfarewatchdog.com and smartertravel.com

My DH recently needed a r/t nonstop flight from NJ to AZ. Kept checking the daily notices I received and, eventually afw.com showed it for $271(in economy) on Continental. Booked it immediately via the Cont'l web site. Not long after, the fare for the same flight was substantially higher. A few days before his outgoing flight, there were three seats left at a price of $788; two days before his return flight there were two seats left and the fare was $538.

If you must take their hotel, ask if this is the only hotel choice. Often there are two hotels with the airport one costing less. We've done HAL air, but not air deviations. We've been told of the overnight when booking and also the hotel costs. Phoenix to the east coast is nearly always an overnight as we are 3 hr. different in the summer and 2 hrs. in the winter. We always fly a day ahead even just to San Diego & we usually do our own air.

Thank you all for your input.

I'm not sure - but I believe the hotel HAL uses in FLL is the Marriott North. I'd be just as happy in a Best Western or Comfort Inn.

I guess the real question still is whether or not it's MANDATORY to use HAL's hotel package if you use their air package.

Thanks again

We didn't use HAL's air, but we did use their hotel package (we cruised the week of Super Bowl 2007) and I don't recall paying anywhere near that amount. We also had transfers to the hotel (which we didn't use) and to the port (which we did use). I can't find my invoice at the moment, but I think I have it filed at our office, so I'll look for it Monday.

As for the hotel, they put us in the Hollywood Beach hotel for two nights. A HAL rep told us that they weren't going to be using that hotel any longer since they had so many complaints and instead were going to put everyone at the Marriott Harbor Beach. I don't know if they did this or not, but that's what we were told.

You might check both these hotels and see what they charge per night during your stay. HAL will put you in the lowest category of room they offer, at least that's what they did when they handled our hotel accommodations. This wasn't a big deal to us...we were just happy to even get a room with Super Bowl in Miami that weekend.

We're cruising in January 2009, and it's costing us over $300 a night at the Embassy Suites. This is more than we've paid in the past at the ES, so it could be that it just costs HAL more. But I'm certain you could find a room on your own and transportation for a lot less than $478.

I wish I knew the answer to your question about having to use their hotel package, but I don't. We booked our own air.

.........The airfare through HAL was so much cheaper than through the airlines directly but the extra $478 pre-cruise package almost makes it not worth it. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Wow.... what a rip. We always book our own air and usually can match or beat the cruise line air except for itineraries like Tahiti.

It is nice to break the flight up but that sure is expensive. A big part of that could also be your transfers if they have limos transfering you.

Have a great trip

We're also on a Med cruise next year and are booking our own air to get a shorter flight than what they offer. If you are staying over in Rome it makes it easier to book airfare on your schedule and not worrying when you will be off the ship. If you are concerned about getting to the Rome airport, for your last night, book the Airport Hilton. It is right at the airport and you can take their shuttle or just walk through the concourse.

You can also check Kayak which does a multiple airline search as well. We found flights with just 1 stop through to LAX.

We used HAL's air to Alaska and paid the deviation to come a day early. We did not have to use HAL hotels.

Try the Embassy Suites which includes a free breakfast and airport transfers. The hotel should be around $200.00.

This sounds like the same cruise I have booked in March 09.

I too booked air with HAL. At the time there were no options for any hotels available. When I called and asked they said they didn't have that info yet, but the hotel cost in Rome was 750.00 per night and that was the cheapest one they offered. I was not told I had to book that with them, they said they'd let me know when they have the info.

I found hotels in Rome for 200.00 per night.

Whats really odd here is, all flights I checked from Rome are early in the morning, conflicting with when the ship comes in..... we HAVE to spend another night, change the flight date, and will be charged for air deviation?

Florida will be the same for us, as we are coming from Ca also, and there is no way it can be done the day of sailing, we HAVE to spend a night. This worries me as from a past cruise on HAL, we didn't get any flight info sooner than 2 weeks before the sail date.

I booked online, it gave me problems and it ended up being booked on the phone thru HAL. As a result of that, they have no info online. Looks like I need a TA to take it over?

Try Lufthansa and SWISS for the return from Rome. They are at about 2:00pm and 2:45pm. We used Lufthansa last year and SWISS this year (best coach international flight ever. Even with a crying baby we have lots of leg room and personal video/DVD and lots of Swiss chocolate). Both had unlimited wine in coach class. Try the Santa Maria hotel in Trastervere. We have stayed there two years in a row. It is always 3 or 4 on trip adviser and is about 200 EUR including tax and breakfast. If you pay in cash there is a 10% discount. They are a 20 minute walk to St Peters.

Contact Stefano at Rome Cabs for your transfers. He is 140 EUR to Civitavvechia or 150 (or 160) for a mini-van that will fit 4 persons with luggage. We did pre and post cruise tours with him. On the pre went to Bracciano Castle, Estruscan tombs and Ceri and on the way home we spent 2 hours at Ostia Antica.

I agree with Jade13 on the airport transfers. It is less expensive to book your own. We stayed in Rome 3 days prior to embarkation this year and made our own hotel reservations and transfers. We chose to stay at a hotel at the top of the Spanish Steps since the location was central to many sites. It was nice and less expensive than HAL's alternatives. Check out tripadvisor.com for reviews of Rome hotels.

Archived