DVD player format on Eurodam

travelingduo

Well, I think that answer my question too. Darn it! I was going to take some Aussie DVDs with us onboard the Volendam and was hoping they might be multi region players. If the Eurodam isn't I would assume the older ships aren't

I can tell you I bought a couple of DVD's (Euro Region) once in London, England and tried playing them on Zuiderdam only to discover that they didn't work on that particular player

• 7 years later...

Anyone know if the players are Blu-Ray although I am assuming not. Any experience with ship DVD Library as to ease of checkout, variety, etc. Dies the Eurodam pipe in any special video entertainment to the room TVs? :)

Mike sailing May 18 first timers!

Anyone know if the players are Blu-Ray although I am assuming not. Any experience with ship DVD Library as to ease of checkout, variety, etc. Dies the Eurodam pipe in any special video entertainment to the room TVs? :)

They are not Blu-Ray unless very recently changed/upgraded.

The Vista Class Zuiderdam, last Oct/Nov, had very old DVD players that connect to the flat-screen using composite video/audio. So, the basic of basic. I tried to find an HDMI connector of the TV to play the DVD in my laptop, and into the TV..... forget that !! And Blue-Ray... no way !!

The room TV was a 22" flat-screen. They had 4 on-board movie channels, cycling every 2 hours. Plus BBC, CNNI, CNN, DW, ESPN, FOX News, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, bow and stern cameras, 2 HAL channels for shore excursions and promotion, and a position channel showing present location, current weather, temp, sea conditions, etc.

The DVD rental program is slow and annoying. You get a catalog in the cabin of movie listings, a decent selection of all categories, and you have to call or visit the front desk and request the DVD by it's number. They have no check-in / check-out computer system. You should give 3 or 4 options to them, not just one. They have to run into the back office and dig through the DVD file cabinet to find your selections. If they have it, you get the first one on your list that is available. If they don't have any of your options, you have to go back to the catalog and start over. They have no way of telling when the DVD will be back, and they can't reserve it for you. It's a crap shoot every time you request a title. If you select one over the phone, and they have it, they will send someone up to your cabin with it.

During the "Ask the Captain" session, I asked about the agonizing DVD selection/retrieval process. I said it sure wastes a lot of front desk personnel time. He agreed, and he said that they slowly will be switching to a video-on-demand system. But, on the Zuiderdam, he had no target date.

There is also a 2-day limit on a DVD loan. They really don't bug you. But when I borrowed the full box set of the Sopranos, six seasons, 30 discs in the set, I got a call to return it. You can't watch that whole box set in 2 days, even on a Trans-Atlantic crossing. They relented and said "send it back when you are done".

I realize that you asked about the Eurodam. All I had was my recent experience on the Zuiderdam.

Eurodam has the new large flat screen TVs at the end of the bed. There is no player unless there's one built into the side of the TV.........didn't look. But they do have the interactive TV with a large number of movies available. No longer, the hope you catch it at the beginning, but you control the start/pause/etc on your own time.

Loved it! :)