Does the copy of David compare?

Hi there, does the copy of the Statue of David even come close to the real thing? I am not sure whether or not I want to take my daughter to the museum... yet hate to miss it myself!

Thanks!

I actually thought it was very close. I wouldn't mind having it in my house! :)

the copy is ok, but just ok. THE David is, imho, the greatest work of art ever created. It is the apotheosis of the Renaissance. While I grant that I am more than usually enchanted with it, I do think it would be a mistake to miss the real thing.

The real one takes your breath away...you don't have to stay long at the Accademia though you can spend ages. Just to see it is special. It just glows and is very special. We thought we would not bother with the real one (took photos of the copy and thought it was OK) when we were in Florence last year but then saw an official ticket outlet and got tickets for the next day - so glad we did.

Hi there, does the copy of the Statue of David even come close to the real thing? I am not sure whether or not I want to take my daughter to the museum... yet hate to miss it myself!

Thanks!

Not only does the copy not compare, but the real thing is much larger and cleaner (since not outside). The real one sits in an area that is well lit and it has benches around the back of the david too. If you can see the real thing, I recommend it. If you can't, then you will never know the difference, so enjoy.

I am going to go out of the box here..if they cleaned up the copy and swtiched them around I bet the average person would not be able to tell the difference especially on a quick tour of Florence from a cruise ship. If one did not see the original would one really know? If one doesn't want to go to the museum IMHO the copy would be just fine plain and simple.

I recommend seeing both, if possible. I think it's important to see the copy of the statue in the setting that it was designed for rather than just in a museum. I think it helps put it into context and also helps explain some of the tricks of perspective used by Michelangelo.

If you pre-reserve your tickets, it really does not take that long to see the original in the Accademia, particularly if it's all you want to see there.

The real David was originally placed outside the Palazzo della Signoria, where the copy now stands. Actually, it stayed there until the late 1800's when it was moved into the Accademia.

No comparison between the two. You are already in Florence, why not see the original???

What's the point then of going to museums to see original works of art when there are very good copies around ( sometimes they are even sold in the ship's "art" auctions!).

Some people do not realize that David is misproportioned and why. We will be in Florence next summer and are prepared for the lack of perfect proportions; because the statue of David was deliberately sculpted by Michelangelo with the head slightly too large for the body, the arms too large for the torso, and the hands dramatically large for the arms. The sculpture was originally commissioned to grace the exterior of the Duomo. It was designed to be seen from a distance and on high. In addition, Michelangelo was depicting a biblical story, Goliath had big hands but David's were the hands that slew him. Hopefully there is something there to explain this to viewers; we have read that some people are disappointed when they see the statute up close.

Kathy:)

I was in Florence 41 years ago. I can still see, in mind's eye, the original David. If you are going to Florence, don't miss it! Who knows when the next time will be. Look at me. It's time for me to return to Florence:)

There is no comparison. The original is awesome and you cannot get enough of it. If you are just going to see the copy, you might as well go to Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and see theirs.

You mean the one in my neighbour's garden is a fake!!!:eek::eek: :eek:

You definitely should see the real one! By all means see the copy in the square, to take pictures, etc... but the real one really does take your breath away, truly awsome. Even my cynical, art history challenged husband could appreciate it!

In addition to David, there is also a room full of studies for other statues. You don't mention how old your daughter is, but she might be kind of interested in the room full of heads!

In addition to David, there is also a room full of studies for other statues. You don't mention how old your daughter is, but she might be kind of interested in the room full of heads!

She's only five so I'm not to sure that she will be that interested. But she may surprise me. Even if she doesn't... she can handle half an hour while I check out the David.

Archived