Bringing a Case of Water

fat_joe

I believe that there was a thread about this topic a few weeks ago but the search feature seems to be down.

I am sailing on the Miracle this month and I want to bring a case of water with me. I know that the water onboard is safe to drink, but I would like to bring a bottle or two into port and have something cold in my room to drink at night. Is it possible to check a case of water or should I carry it onboard? If I can check it, is it okay to just slap a luggage tag on it or should I pack it in a duffle bag?

I am not sure what Carnival means by a reasonable amount of non-alcoholic beverages, but IMHO one case of water for 4 people on an 8 night cruise sounds reasonable. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Actually Carnival says a small amount. That amount is determined by whoever is at check in. Maybe some who have sailed out of NYC can let you know their experiences. I dont buy water, so not sure how many are in a case.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

We packed some bottled drinks (small gatorade bottles and water) in our checked luggage last year with no problems, and saw MANY people openly carrying cases in their hands during check in, just walking onto the ship with them. They obviously would rather you purchase drinks from them so they make it sound all scary to bring it on yourself. Of all the times I have seen this talked about on these boards, I do not remember anyone saying that they had drinks taken away from them. Maybe it has happened...but most likely you will be fine! Whats the worst that can happen? They take it from you and you are out a couple bucks...

If there's a way to pack it or box it, do that and stick a luggage tag on it. You don't want to be toting it around on Lido with you...do you??

We did that, put a luggage tag on and they wouldn't check it, so we had to lug it to our cabin then we went on to the Lido deck.......

We were just on the Glory July 26th, and between six of us, we each carried on a 12 pack of pop or water, and my oldest son brought a 12 pack of beer. No one said a word.

I just brought cloth bags with handles to make it easier for everyone to carry.

We even brought our own pop to the dining room on occassion and the servers kindly brought big glasses filled with ice.

KN

I just put a case in a large gym duffel bag....tag it and check it at the pier. It is conveinent to get the water to the room and it gives me an extra bag for sourveniers if I need it on the way back

I know that the water onboard is safe to drink, but I would like to bring a bottle or two into port and have something cold in my room to drink at night.

Thanks.

You say that the water is safe to drink and the only reason you are lugging a case of water is so that you can bring water on excursions and have cold water at night.

There is an absolutely amazing lack of any logic at all to that justification. All you need to do is bring a SINGLE empty Nalgene bottle on board. You can fill it with water and ice when you go to sleep and when you go off the trip.

I trust that this idea is not too complicated for you.

DON

You say that the water is safe to drink and the only reason you are lugging a case of water is so that you can bring water on excursions and have cold water at night.

There is an absolutely amazing lack of any logic at all to that justification. All you need to do is bring a SINGLE empty Nalgene bottle on board. You can fill it with water and ice when you go to sleep and when you go off the trip.

DON

Wow...that's harsh!

I know I will bring on my own water (as well as my pepsi 1) because I simply prefer the taste of certain waters.

DON

After our first couple of cruises, I noticed that people tend to be lax about the way that they refill their bottles from the water on tap. If you have ever paid attention, they will stick the top of their bottle right up against the spigot and fill 'er up. Seems to me that this is one heck of a way to spread NORO and a lot of other illnesses. I think that these people who bring their own case of water might not deserve the testy response you gave them, perhaps they too have taken the opportunity to observe their fellow passengers and draw their own conclusions.

We always bring a case of water on our 7 day cruises. We simple attach a luggage tag to the case with clear packing tape and turn it over to the porters with our luggage.

Tip #1: wrap the entire case in clear packing tape to provide additional strength to the package. If not, the porters will rip the plastic wrap and you may end up with less than 24 bottles being delivered to your cabin!

Tip #2: if you are flying to your port and buying water/sodas to take onboard..don't forget to pack your packing tape so you don't have to buy a roll at the convenience store!

I read on another thread that they won't take the water and soda with a luggage tag anymore. Has anyone tried this recently?

Candi

Haven't heard it recently, but that's why I'd put it in either a box or suitcase/duffle bag.

DON

Thanks for the insult Don. I appreciate it.

Part of my reasoning for bringing a case of water has to do with what mycatisfat said. I would rather not put my bottle against a spigot that other people have put their bottles and glasses against.

DON

Dude, why do you have to be such an arse? They didn't ask for your opinion on them bringing water on-board, just if they could.

I believe that there was a thread about this topic a few weeks ago but the search feature seems to be down.

I am sailing on the Miracle this month and I want to bring a case of water with me. I know that the water onboard is safe to drink, but I would like to bring a bottle or two into port and have something cold in my room to drink at night. Is it possible to check a case of water or should I carry it onboard? If I can check it, is it okay to just slap a luggage tag on it or should I pack it in a duffle bag?

I am not sure what Carnival means by a reasonable amount of non-alcoholic beverages, but IMHO one case of water for 4 people on an 8 night cruise sounds reasonable. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

We just got back from the Pride on Sunday, and we brought a case of 24 bottles of water for the five of us. We packed it in a 6th suitcase, which we checked.

In addition, three of us brought 3 bottles of water each in our carry-ons, and the other two brought around 7-8 bottles each in their carry-ons. The two with the 7-8 bottles in their carry-ons had each water bottle inspected to be sure that all the bottles really were water. When they saw that they were, we passed through security with all our waters.

The tap water on the ship had a very definite taste that I didn't care for. I did drink it, and a slice of lemon improved the flavor, but I still preferred to have the bottled water, especially for excursions.

We also packed 2 12-packs of soda in our checked luggage as well as an assortment of alcohol, all of which made it to our room without a problem.

For our trip home, we had lots of room in our suitcases, and they were tons lighter! ;)

I would definitely put it in a duffel bag with luggage tag so that there should be no problems. If you are buying the water after flying in, a collapsible duffel bag takes up no room and it is an extra just in case bag for anything you absolutely have to have while on the cruise to take home.

I read on another thread that they won't take the water and soda with a luggage tag anymore. Has anyone tried this recently?

Candi

On my last cruise we tagged a case of water and the porters would not take it . They said Carnivals regulations would not allow them to handle cases of soda or water anymore..I was quite surprised because I had done this many times with water before. So we had to carry it onboard ourselves. The next time I will put it in a backpack or duffle bag and tag that as the other posters have mentioned..Hope that helps, Barb

I would definitely put it in a duffel bag with luggage tag so that there should be no problems. If you are buying the water after flying in, a collapsible duffel bag takes up no room and it is an extra just in case bag for anything you absolutely have to have while on the cruise to take home.

This is exactly what we have done on the last two cruises. We had purchased a set of luggage which came with lots of extra pieces. One being a rolling duffle bag. As soon as I saw it I knew I had the perfect use for it. It folds flat and is lightweight so I put it in the suitcase first then load all the extras on top of it for the flight. Depending on how much water you drink you may find that a case is too much. For our next cruise we plan on cutting it down to a 12 pack instead. We may bring some soda for my dh with the extra room. Since we had so much water left over we ended up leaving the extras in the cabin. I'm not sure if the steward had a use for them but they were there if they did. We also do this with any left over alcohol as well. Im sure they had a use for the beer ;)

Thanks for the insult Don. I appreciate it.

Part of my reasoning for bringing a case of water has to do with what mycatisfat said. I would rather not put my bottle against a spigot that other people have put their bottles and glasses against.

So fill it in your room and rinse the outside of the tap with vodka if you are worried that the tap in your room is dirty.

DON

Archived